DIY 1.1 single-layer
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & SOL Bivvy
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    An alternative on the site selection is to set yourself up on a ridge or where the predominate winds might come from. I've also used my tarp to catch and funnel winds down the length of the hammock by pointing the wide end of the funnel into the wind.
    The meaning of Life is to live it

Hammock
    11 ft Dutch
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    3 season New River
    Suspension
    Straps, Whoopies
    Images
    My wife's family goes "camping" every 4th of July weekend and I usually stay outside of the house on wheels in my hammock, unless it is over 85 when I go to bed. Then I succumb to the air conditioning. I just set up my tarp with a wide opening, and strip down to my skibbies, and a small fan is you friend. It is either this or leave the tarp in the snake skins and leave an extra layer on.

Hammock
    Too many to choose just one
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex or WP
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit 30* or
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood
    Have you tried a Thermacell instead of using a bugnet? I feel like I am suffocating with a bugnet when it is warm outside. The downside is that one canister and repellant pad will not last an entire night. I change mine once during the night during a bio break.

Hammock
    WBRR, DHTB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly, Mamba
    Insulation
    Down Quilts!
    Suspension
    Straps/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Last summer there were several guys posting about small personal battery operated fans attached to the hammocks ridgeline.

Google Travelon 3-Speed Folding Fan
    Going to be hanging in July. Just ordered two of these fans. Thanks for the idea! I also have a cooling towel. You wet it and wrap it around your neck or head. Stays cool for hours and can be used over again.
    NJ Hammock Club Facebook Page - Come join the party!

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 single-layer
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & SOL Bivvy
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Probably better for car camping, but has anyone tried a diy "swamp cooler" air conditioner? I don't know if they're any good, but if they do what I've read about them, I imagine setting up a winter tarp with doors, with one of those in it, might prove favorable. At any rate, I think I'm going to try making one.
    The meaning of Life is to live it

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by The Tree Frog View Post
    Going to be hanging in July. Just ordered two of these fans. Thanks for the idea! I also have a cooling towel. You wet it and wrap it around your neck or head. Stays cool for hours and can be used over again.
    Glad I could help. It would be great if you could do a review on if you liked the fans or not.
    Maybe just a quick foot note in a trip report.

Hammock
    Gathered end single
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Depending on humidity something like a Chill-it could be used maybe?
    There is no humidity here so the evap cools well, I could see sleeping with a Chill it and maaaybe a fan.

I would love to see what you figure out since I've been wondering this myself.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Jarbidge, EE Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by mtsrunner View Post
    Have you tried a Thermacell instead of using a bugnet? I feel like I am suffocating with a bugnet when it is warm outside. The downside is that one canister and repellant pad will not last an entire night. I change mine once during the night during a bio break.
    These things run on butane, right? I've heard they get pretty hot, so don't they warm you up as much as a budget would?

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Location, location, location. Some place with shore power. No wimpy fans for this child.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    As others have attested, there simply isn't a good answer. Some of the basics is hang in a creek bottom close to moving water; it's going to be cooler than the surrounding area. The opposite can also be true depending on the geography and weather; that is to try pitching on the top of a ridge if it means you catch more air movment. If you do that, watch the wather forecast. Wouldn't want to be on a ridgeline in a thunder and lightening storm. If you pitch a tarp, pitch it to actually "collect" the breeze and funnel it over you. Stick with synthetics but strip down to a t-shirt and synthetic underwear. Skip the tarp unless you need it for rain or it's actually funneling a breeze for you.

Many stay home in the hotter weather and frankly, I'm one of them. Heat + ticks + chiggers = less than ideal hiking/hanging weather for me. I'm very kean on getting into kayaking and plan to spend more time doing that during the warmer months. I also tend to ride my motorcyle more during warmer weather.

One other idea if you can afford it financially and from a time perspective, head north! Think norther US or even Canada.

Gideon

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast