Speer IIIA
    Tarp
    WinterTarp
    Insulation
    PeaPod
    Suspension
    Need to learn this

Eye bolts on balcony

The balcony in my new home could really use a hammock! Especially now that it's summer, and with the nice view, and protection from rain, and no mosquitoes... mmm

There are thick concrete/brick walls on both sides. I have prepared some really tough-looking plugs, and will get eye bolts and some silicon.
    Weight most likely won't be a problem (I'm very light too), but I have some other concerns...

1) Firstly, the balcony is just 3.35 meters or 11 feet wide. I am 189 cm or 6"2½' tall - can I expect decent comfort from this?

2) How high should the bolts be? If I put them at eye height or higher, maybe there will be more ways to adjust the hang...? (Don't want to fall out from the balcony obviously.)

3) I wonder if there would be room for my wife's hammock too - how far apart do the bolts need to be, and how far away from the inner wall?
    The hanging wall is 1 meter (39") and I'll probably want at least 10 cm from the edge which leaves 90 cm between the outer hammock and the inner wall.

Hammock
    ENO SN or Sub7
    Tarp
    Noah's 9, ProFly
    Insulation
    AHE JB, ENO
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Try hanging the eye bolts diagonally from each other to create some more space between them. I did this in my basement and it worked great! Of course, this could make a tighter squeeze if your wife joins you.

http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator/

This link will give you the height of the bolts based on your other measurements. Works every time. Sounds like a great place to hang once you get all the dimensions figured out.

Hammock
    Speer IIIA
    Tarp
    WinterTarp
    Insulation
    PeaPod
    Suspension
    Need to learn this
    Thanks for the link! The calculator assumes that I know if I want 30 or 45 degrees, I guess closer to 30 sounds more comfortable...
    Really looking forward to getting this done soon.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images
    Am I understanding your dimensions correctly that your space to work in is a rectangle 1m by 3.35 m?

If so, that seems like a pretty tight fit for a single hammock let alone two. You'll need to go as diagonal as you can, and you will have a short suspension system. The only way you'll be able to fit two hammocks in that space is if one is above the other.

Hammock
    DL RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Nemo Tensor
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    On a related note, what is the best way to install these bolts? I have cinder block walls on my balconies, and have never done anything like this before. What tools would I need? How hard is it? How likely am I to screw up irreparably?

Hammock
    SLD TR, BIAS HL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG, UGQ, AHE
    Suspension
    DW Whoopies/Straps
    WB, Im thinking a hammer drill, mason bit, some red heads/mollies. Not too hard but I've never done it. Thinking outloud. Yes I would be the one to screw it up...Thats how I roll. Is the cb wall exposed, no siding? Do you live in a complex and are able to make these mods? I'd go to your local hardware dist. and run it by them. They can be alot of help. Good luck. Im thinking of trying something similar.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Most of the time these anchors are put in the mortar joints between the bricks not the actual cinder block itself. The mortar is going to carry your load better. There are a few different options for hardware. The best is going to be an insert that you pound into a hole drilled with a hammer drill, as stated above, then when you screw the lag into it, it will expand the insert sleeve which holds it in.

All that being said, if this is a rental unit, the above may be a big no no. Be sure to verify before punching holes.

Hammock
    DL RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Nemo Tensor
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    It is indeed a rental unit, but I think I could get away with it. It is a fairly old building and there is a fair bit of variation from apartment to apartment on little things like that. Some of the balconies have hooks in the ceiling for plants, for example. However, it would be harder to get away with if I do a crappy job.

There is some sort of siding - plaster maybe? - so finding the joints between cinder blocks would be difficult.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    It could be stucco or synthetic stucco over either wood or cinder block. That opens up a whole different can of worms. Unless you know for sure there is a block wall behind it. I used to install synthetics and there is a fair number of things used as backer.

There are certain types of anchors that are made to go into the hollow gaps between the blocks, like a glorified toggle bolt. But again that would be determined by whether or not there is block or another material back there.

Hammock
    DL RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Nemo Tensor
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I'm not 100% sure that it is cinder block. I do know the structure of the interior of the. building is cinder block, but I don't know for sure about these walls on the balcony. When I tap it, it feels like cinder block.

The lighting isn't the best because it is dark out, but here is a pic.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast