HH Explorer Asym Zip
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator 0 w/ UQP
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Hang Angles & Side-Sleepers

Last night was the 2nd night in my HH Explorer Dlx Asym by Town Lake. I'm a total side-sleeper in bed. In my hammock I long to mimic the side sleeping, but I can't seem to find a comfortable position. I'm hanging at 30º. Would a lesser angle allow for a tighter hammock, and in turn, more even support for side sleeping?

What do y'all side-sleepers find is the best hang angle (and hammock)?

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird DL 1.8 Blue/Black
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    EE TQ/UQ (Synth)
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Town lake... Where are you posting up over there?

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    UGQ CUSTOM HANGER
    Insulation
    UGQ Ambush
    Suspension
    DUTCH CB/CUSTOM
    I have the same Hennessey, it seemed a tighter strung hammock helped out a little but for fear of putting to much stress on the hammock I have been through numerous models. Dream Hammock DangerBird 11' is my new hammock and it is great for side sleeping or any style sleeping and is the most comfortable hammock I have been in. Sold my WBBB XLC , Dangerbird has a more roomy feel even in the foot area and absolutely 0 calf ridge. Wife wanted to keep the Hennessey EXP.DLX said it fit her the best.

Images
    Not all hammocks are equal when it comes to sidesleeping.
    Experimenting with the one you have is the only way to know if it works for you.
    I only side sleep and prefer a steep hammock angle which allows me to get more diaginal in the hammock.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I only sleep on my side. My hammocks are all gathered end style. They all seem to work. I would suggest an adjustable ridgeline so then you can dial in the optimum sag for you. Once your happy, you can replace the adjustable ridgeline with a fixed one of that length.
    Last edited by MAD777; 06-30-2014 at 05:37.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    HH Explorer Asym Zip
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator 0 w/ UQP
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by OregonRafter View Post
    I have the same Hennessey, it seemed a tighter strung hammock helped out a little but for fear of putting to much stress on the hammock I have been through numerous models. Dream Hammock DangerBird 11' is my new hammock and it is great for side sleeping or any style sleeping and is the most comfortable hammock I have been in. Sold my WBBB XLC , Dangerbird has a more roomy feel even in the foot area and absolutely 0 calf ridge. Wife wanted to keep the Hennessey EXP.DLX said it fit her the best.
    I've been seeing people mentioning Dream Hammock more and more recently. Perhaps I should look into them.

Quote Originally Posted by lanejustin View Post
    Town lake... Where are you posting up over there?
    Right here man.
    10514105_323936241107702_770811968_n.jpg

There are only two sets of trees between 35 & Pleasant Valley (that I know of) where you can hang a hammock. Last night's hang had my 8' whoopies fully extended too.

EDIT: Nope, there's 3 actually. 2 on the north side and 1 where you hang entirely from one, long, low branch on the south side.

Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Not all hammocks are equal when it comes to sidesleeping.
    Experimenting with the one you have is the only way to know if it works for you.
    I only side sleep and prefer a steep hammock angle which allows me to get more diaginal in the hammock.
    Do you know what angle you hang at? I've been using the iPhone app to check my hang angles (hangles?) and get them right around 30º.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    I only sleep on my side. My hammocks are all gathered end style. They all seem to work. I would suggest an adjustable ridgeline so they you can deal in the optimum sag for you. Once your happy, you can replace the adjustable ridgeline with a fixed one of that length.
    Hennessy's have one built in. Now where does that pesky line tie into...? But that's a solid suggestion. I'll definitely look into that.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StrungOut View Post
    snip...

Do you know what angle you hang at? I've been using the iPhone app to check my hang angles (hangles?) and get them right around 30º.

Hennessy's have one built in. Now where does that pesky line tie into...? But that's a solid suggestion. I'll definitely look into that.
    I really never measure it. If I guessed it would be ~35 or so.
    I would be very careful messing with your HH ridgeline. Never lengthen it you could damage or tear the bug net shorter is OK but why bother. When you increase the angle the RL just goes slack.

hth

PS- here's a bunch of picture of 8 or 9 different hammocks I have used over the years
    it might help with the angle question.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/outand...7632322638444/
    Last edited by OutandBack; 06-29-2014 at 18:38.

Hammock
    11" 1.1 ripstop
    Tarp
    1.1 DIY 10X10
    Insulation
    HG 20* TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I only sleep on my side in my hammocks and very comfortably i might add. Sometimes I just can not believe how comfy the hammocks are for side sleeping. I have gathered end table cloth and 1.1 ripstop all 10 or 11 foot hammocks.

Hammock
    HH explorer zip
    Tarp
    SLD winter haven
    Insulation
    potomac uq, bag tq
    Suspension
    diy ratchet straps
    I sidesleep in a bed but usually find myself on my back in my hammock. I swap sides numerous times when sleeping in a bed and thats a bit of a pain in a hammock. I just put a carabiner on my ridgeline and wrap any excess onto that when playing with rl length.

Hammock
    Brazilian Organic Merlot Family
    I prefer sleeping on my side to sleeping on my back. I have slept on my side several times in my hammock. However, about a week and a half ago, I started a sleep session sleeping on my side. I don't know what I did, but I woke up with a stiff and sore back. I was so stiff and sore that I walked around the house for two days hunched over like some 80 year-old man. It took five days to get back to near normal. I'm now afraid to sleep on my side for fear of experiencing another bad back episode.

• + New Posts