Dangerbird
    Tarp
    BWDD
    Insulation
    UGQ/UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ET

To cut or not to cut

Hello all, First post on this lovely place that has me hooked on hangin'!!! Every chance I get I come back reading posts here and always find something new. I had my first hang about 3 weeks ago in my HH expedtion asym. I wanted to get started and the wife got it for fathers day for me. So after hangin' the HH once (not even sleeping in it, just set up during lunch) I new that rings were the way to go. So I hit up Wally world for some tow straps and dremeled off the hooks and now I have 14 foot 1000 lb. working load straps (overkill I know). I have tied my HH stock rope to the rings using a clove hitch and a half hitch as a security stopper. I have the rest of the HH stock rope tied in a loop. So now, do I cut the stock rope or leave it? Also, is the clove a good option to attach to the rings or the there better options?

And since I love pictures, I have to post the first hang. Thanks in advance for any help.

hammock.bmp

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    That is the typical thing to do when swapping over to the ring buckle system. Cut them whe you can stand to make the no-return choice. BUT DON'T cut them until you know how much you want to leave and what you want to do with it. I have mine tied into some gear loops so I can hang stuff on them. I tied it up the way I wanted it and cut them when that was done. It is not something to be done lightly but also nothing to be afraid of. One other caveat... If you think you might want to go back to the stock system for any reason (like weight.. the stock system is lighter) then leave them coiled neatly. They won't wont hurt anything.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    If you're worried about resale value, you could completely remove the stock cord and put it in a drawer somewhere. There are much lighter and less bulky options for suspension cord that can be cut to size. Swapping them out isn't hard at all. There is a thread about how to do it, but I couldn't find it. Basically, you would just cut the zip tie that holds the little black sleeve over the knot at the end of the hammock, pull the sleeve back, untie the stock cord and redo the wrap and knot with the cord of your choice. You can easily revert to the stock system if the hammock ever winds up on eBay.
    .. truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more. - Herman Melville

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Just coil it up and tie to the end of your hammock. It would be an excellent selling feature with still new or little worn "original" suspension.. like buying an old car with low miles on it. I really can't see the few extra grams/oz. issue bothering you that much, and the original suspension could come in handy in certain situations, big trees, big spread apart I really want to hang here locations, or if your other suspension broke., you have a back-up susp.ready to go.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vitamaltz View Post
    Swapping them out isn't hard at all. There is a thread about how to do it, but I couldn't find it.
    I think the thread you're looking for is here.

I agree with vitamaltz - don't cut anything, just swap it out. There's no need to carry around the surplus weight and bulk of two suspension systems. The process is almost the same whether you're changing to a webbing based suspension or a cording based one.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    BWDD
    Insulation
    UGQ/UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ET
    Thanks everyone so far. I am gonna read the thread about swapping out the ropes. I swore I found it before I even received my hammock, but could not find it. I was afraid on how much to cut because I have KAQ coming next week and wanted see what was needed for that. I do like the idea of keeping the originals for resale, I hope to just pass it on to my wife after I can get her converted.

Regardless of what I do, how about the know to the rings, is the clove gonna be a good option?

Thanks and now I am off to continue my perpetual research in this forum.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...searchid=21087
    I think this shows you what you are looking for. thanks grizz
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by spinkid View Post
    ...So I hit up Wally world for some tow straps and dremeled off the hooks and now I have 14 foot 1000 lb. working load straps (overkill I know)....
    Uh, actually for rigging where human safety is involved, an oft-stated rule of thumb is 10-to-1 safety margin.

A nominal 1,000 lb strap gives you a 100 lb actual rating. So, "overkill"? Not at all. Just a word to the wise.

Rain Man

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    BWDD
    Insulation
    UGQ/UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ET
    gargoyle, thanks for that, that is perfect. If that whats under my covers on my Hammock, it should be fairly cake. Now to hunt down some good thin rope. EMS or REI??? I have some 5mm and 6mm sterling cord, but that seems much to thick, any recommendations? I would prefer to purchase locally, for my trip next week, but if not, I will have it for the next trip. Thanks again

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Uh, actually for rigging where human safety is involved, an oft-stated rule of thumb is 10-to-1 safety margin.

A nominal 1,000 lb strap gives you a 100 lb actual rating. So, "overkill"? Not at all. Just a word to the wise.

Rain Man

RM - I believe that if the straps have a working load of 1000lbs their breaking load will be substantially higher. Working load already has safety factor in it.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast