Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ / HG UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch and Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by TessdeTerrible View Post
    Thank you for the specifics on your expeience. This is a big help
    No prob....glad i can help someone out.
    I found a thread I started with some good info in it......more about colder temps but still good info.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...Plan-Of-Attack

theres a lot of more experienced hangers around who will hopefully have some input for you.

Hammock
    Brazilian Organic Merlot Family
    Not too long after starting to sleep in my hammock in early June, the temps dropped low enough at night that the indoor temps hit about 70 or a little lower. I woke up with cold butt syndrome. I need to make plans for fall, winter, and early spring so that I don't get too cold.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    For those that go with a sheet, cotton is clammy. Just awful. WM has cheap polyester microfiber sheet sets that are much better in hot wx. Much.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Sheltowee Hammocks
    Tarp
    Big, Retangular
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    As others have said bottom insulation is necessary in all seasons, when the overnight lows reach 70° or even 75°. But, it's nice to be able to 'hang out' in your hammock during the day or evening when it can still be smoldering out.

DSC_0294.jpg

Pulling your insulation out from underneath you fells incredible when its 95° out and there is a slight breeze.

DSC_0371.jpg

Pulling it back into place is easy too, even when you're groggy at 3AM.

Having something to cover up with on top is crucial for me also; even if it's a light sheet or blanket. Think of how you sleep at home in bed. Your mattress is insulating you from below all the time, and you regulate your temp with your top blankets; venting or adding more blankets as it gets colder. The same is true for hammocking.

Most experienced hangers never leave home without bottom insulation. So I thought: "Why not combine the two?"
    -Alex

Sheltowee Hammocks Feature INTEGRATED UNDERQUILTS! Starting at $224

Step Out Of Your Sheltowee @ www.ShellHammocks.com

Hammock
    Gathered end single
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by ShellHammock View Post
    As others have said bottom insulation is necessary in all seasons, when the overnight lows reach 70° or even 75°. But, it's nice to be able to 'hang out' in your hammock during the day or evening when it can still be smoldering out.

DSC_0294.jpg

Pulling your insulation out from underneath you fells incredible when its 95° out and there is a slight breeze.

DSC_0371.jpg

Pulling it back into place is easy too, even when you're groggy at 3AM.

Having something to cover up with on top is crucial for me also; even if it's a light sheet or blanket. Think of how you sleep at home in bed. Your mattress is insulating you from below all the time, and you regulate your temp with your top blankets; venting or adding more blankets as it gets colder. The same is true for hammocking.

Most experienced hangers never leave home without bottom insulation. So I thought: "Why not combine the two?"
    Your hammock system is really very interesting. I love this concept. Thank you!

I absorb a little better reading.
    Good to hear... Wish I could get that thru my kids heads... There are other ways to learn other than YouTube

Hammock
    SLD TR, BIAS HL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG, UGQ, AHE
    Suspension
    DW Whoopies/Straps
    So in theory, based on my reading, would it be safe to say an UQ would take priority over a TQ in purchasing. Invest in UQ first and take along a light to medium cover for TQ.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps, D. Buckles
    Images
    Gumbo and I use silk sleeping bag liners from Grand Trunk. We've had them a like 4 or 5 years so I don't remember the price but they weren't cheap. Grand Trunk is reasonably priced gear and more importantly - it's well made stuff, made by good people.
    Anyways... the sleep silks are very versitile. They're perfect when you just want a light cover and they are great for making your sleeping bag warmer too. At freezing and below, I bunch mine up around my neck and shoulders to keep the drafts out.
    HangCon Sign Up:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

So many trees, so little time...

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Is there an easy way to figure out when you need UQ and TQ?
    When your tired of a pad and sleeping bag I've used a Walmart pad down to 25*F with my SB in peapod style and a fleece blanket on top of me and also my fleece blanket only down to 60* with a UQ.

I can usually find lower limits for gear, but I'm fairly unsure at what temps you add things on.
    That's subjective to your humidity and your personal comfort zone. Here in Florida, between 60-70*F for UQ and usually something on top upto 75*F as a low, for me.

Is it just one of those things that depends on your comfort levels or is there a general rule of thumb?
    Yes and yes. For most, below 70*F bottom insulation is key as a general line. Always take the expected low into consideration, not just low at bed time.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Is there an easy way to figure out when you need UQ and TQ?

You need to test, test, test, to see what your level of comfort is and how much hot or cold you can take and what you need for a nice comfy nite of sleeping.

I can usually find lower limits for gear, but I'm fairly unsure at what temps you add things on.

There is no golden rule "at what temps" you add things on. When your packing,,you can't carry every thing to "add on" except the clothing you wear. This is where you can learn to adjust your UQ to fit the weather conditions. Most all UQ's are made to adjust. You can loosen them up totally to not touch your backside completely. or adjust and vent at the head and foot end of them. Pads..not much adjustment there. either use them or slide them around to vent or remove and just other objects in yor possession depending on the temps. If your using too light of a TQ,,add clothing that you might possess while packing. Last resort is pulling out the space blanket if you have one of those in your kit.

Is it just one of those things that depends on your comfort levels or is there a general rule of thumb?
    Don't think there is any rule of thumb either,,its all on your comfort levels.

Give you a example of testing...and you can never quit testing as weather is a constant changing thingy. Last nite,,while hanging outside the house, it was 85 degrees and pretty void of humidity and dew point, here in southern Indiana. Weatherman commented cold front coming in. I was using my WB RR hammock and had my 50 degree Uq 50 degree TO and in tee shirt and shorts,,temp dropped to 57, heavy dew and humitidy, light fog even, no wind,,cold and clammy a bit, catching me alittle offguard,,had the UQ totally loose and at 3am,,cold butt and shoulders woke me up...tightened suspension on it up and was fine rest of morning and slept fine. But,,had the ability to adjust to the situation that the weather throws at me. Tonite its supposed to get alittle colder,,low down to maybe 50,,and heavy humidity and dew in the morning and maybe alittle fog..making it super damp, clammy and cold. Will test the 20 degree Lynx by WB vented by my own add on adjustment..as the Lynx is the only UQ made that you just clip on and use with no adjustments on it from WB..but I can vent it and even if I get cold..will be able again to adjust to the climate conditions that happen to me. I also want alittle more over kill as at 64,,am more cold sleeper and need the warmth..so will use a 40 degree TQ,,and still sleep in the same shorts, and type of tee shirt that I used last nite. Yep,,I will be maybe too warm and have to vent the TQ even,,starting out at about 70 degrees..but by the time it gets down to 50,,will be toast and sleeping like a baby. Forgot to mention,,the head,,bald on top and loose heat there,,so the buff goes in the hammock also and will be put on when the time is needed for stopping heat loss.

Weather is your deciding factor in how you use your equipment and you constantly try and keep abreast of it before the hang. The golden rule,,is to be prepared for anything and everything and have enough gear to be able to improvise when needed. Enjoy your hangs. Test, test, test as nobody can tell you exactly how you react to the equipment you use when hanging as also,,your environment that you hang in,,is constantly changing as well. Happy Hanging.
    Acer

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast