Gumbo and I were sort of in the neighborhood and took a detour to check out Doe Lake - home of Florida Hang 5.
In a word I would say - WOW! This place is really nice!
Built as part of a Depression era Civilian Conservation Corp work project, it's been either restored or lovingly maintained.
The access is similar to Buck Lake but about half as much dirt road, which will be grated after the rainy season, hopefully. The site is enormous with zillions of well placed trees. Mostly pines, so bring strap protectors. Minimal underbrush. There's a central meeting hall with quasi-commercial kitchen, a large central fireplace and a platform/bandstand at one end. (Did you get that Andy? An INDOOR bandstand!) Popular with the equestrian set, the site has about 40 or 50 hitching posts spread around the site. They are 6x6 and probably 8' high with large screweyes for clipping your horse (or hammock). The lake itself is two or three times the size of Buck Lake. I'm told you can swim in it. In January?! Ha! - YOU can swim in it. Small sandy beach for kayak launching. Finally, I'm sure everyone will appreciate - flush toilets and showers!!

DSCF1283.jpgDSCF1309.jpgDSCF1301.jpgDSCF1293.jpgDSCF1292.jpgDSCF1291.jpgDSCF1290.jpgDSCF1298.jpgDSCF1312.jpgDSCF1304.jpg

Please note: this is NOT the planning thread. It's kind of a teaser...