Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks for all the great info, I'm really looking forward to getting out there and tweaking my system.

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Many options not just one "right" way

Strap length depends on the circumference of the trees or posts 4' is often long enough in some places a strap with loops on both ends and a Dutch clip or carabiner will work with W.S. larks headed semi permanently "attached" to one end. But MSH in place of D-clip is fine, best to know this just in case clip or binder is lost regardless. 2' straps may even work in some places but rope with vertical sticks under cord on hammock side to protect tree may be necessary occasionally, so I would not strongly recommend that method. Also wrap strap around multiple times if tree is very young with delicate thin bark, or try to use a different tree or cluster of tree trunks. The more you camp the more unique situations you will encounter and learn to be creative, I.e. guy lines down from small mesquite shrubs in west Texas or South West when there is nothing larger than 2" in diameter, tripod of standing deadwood poles ("Standing Dead" trees, not rotting on ground), a long list of options that are not "text book".

12" bury is best, www.I-36.com has some good calculators and graphics on Brummel Locked Loop and Soft Shackle etc also this PDF from manuf of "amsteel" but for much thicker rope than you need.

http://www.samsonrope.com/Documents/...UG2012_WEB.pdf
    Last edited by ntxkayakr; 07-01-2014 at 13:51.

Hammock
    Blackbird,HH Hyperlite, Kammok Roo
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    HG 20 degree set
    Suspension
    Whoopies

tree strap length ?

Tree strap length depends on where you live. I'm in the NW and often need 8 feet. Was recently on a hike in old growth rain forest where 8 feet wasn't enough and wished I had 12.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I started with 8 ft. tree straps but found them to be excessive for the Northeast. I've hammock camped from VA to upstate NY and we did such a fine job of clearcutting the East Coast last century that I just don't see many trees that warrant anything more than 4 ft. straps. I carry a couple of continuous loops to extend the tree huggers on the rare occasion I hang from a larger tree.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I started with 8 ft. tree straps but found them to be excessive for the Northeast. I've hammock camped from VA to upstate NY and we did such a fine job of clearcutting the East Coast last century that I just don't see many trees that warrant anything more than 4 ft. straps. I carry a couple of continuous loops to extend the tree huggers on the rare occasion I hang from a larger tree.
    I dunno about that - I have 5' straps that just barely make it around a couple of the maples in my yard. Though in the pine barrens of South Jersey I've never come close to maxing out my straps.

Hammock
    To many
    Tarp
    To many
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 + oth
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Images
    I had strapWorks or something like that make me a set 1&1/2" wide by 6' long with 2" loops on each end. I installed 6' whoopie s & carry another set of 6' whoopies. Living & camping in TN, I have yet to need the extra whoopies.

Hammock
    GT Double
    Tarp
    DIY Painters 4mil
    Suspension
    Straps Whoopie MSH
    I've settled on 8' and just let the extra hang and tie it up in a slippery half hitch to keep it off the ground. Better of have the extra if needed - and I haven't needed it yet - but I'm ready!

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    My wife and I carry 6' straps, but sometimes they're just not quite long enough. Since we use Dutch Clips, it's very easy to extend the straps with another small section, so we each carry an extra 3' section.

Dutch also just came out with his G Clips, which are adjustable. They're pretty sweet, I'd recommend checking them out - http://dutchwaregear.com/g-clip.html. I picked up a set to try out, can't wait for them to arrive!
    Hammeck - Hammocks, stands, and accessories, made by the Meck family.

Like us on Facebook!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12