Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images

Mason Line and CCF

Like everything else, I have jumped into this with both feet and am constantly looking for new things or different usages. Thought I'd share a couple.

Mason Line
    The down side of mason line from what I have read is the color, usually pink or bright yellow. I am pretty sure the braided trot line in the fishing section of WM is the same thing and it's OD green. It is rated at around 150# test, if I recall correctly. This is what I am using right now. For those of you who like a splicing challenge (you know who you are), something to try, just need a smaller doll needle or piece of folded wire.

CCF
    Has anyone tried or considered using hardwood flooring underlayment foam? It comes in big rolls and I imagine scrap could be picked up from an installer for free. It's thin 1/16"??, so probably comforms more and you could add layers to get to the desired thickness for moderate weather camping.

Hammock
    DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    Here's the thread where we explore thin foam. There is some uncertainty as to whether microfoam for packing purposes and underlayment are the same thing:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ight=microfoam

I've never seen braided trot line. I'll have to look for it. right now when I want to be invisible I'm using duck decoy line. I don't remember the brand, but I found 100' for very little $ at Bass Pro. It's a flat weave, black, and significantly thinner and less bulky than mason line. I'm pretty sure this is what is used on Hennessy fly tie-out lines. It's not as easy to tie knots in as mason line, because the flatness of it makes it a little awkward and floppy.
    .. truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more. - Herman Melville

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Being a clumsy oaf, I like the bright mason line, and I figure its down low enough to be hidden from prying eyes and if they are that close, they probably can see me anyway.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    Somewhat ironically, I use yellow mason line to find my stealthy hammock. if I go down the trail to my food bag or take another evening stroll, I often can't find my campsite when I come back. I've started carrying a few three-inch long pieces of mason line and tying one to a tree indicating where I should veer off the trail to my hammock. Sometimes I'm far enough off the trail that I need one on another tree midway. I take 'em off the trees in the morning, of course.
    .. truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more. - Herman Melville

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nacra533 View Post
    Mason Line
    The down side of mason line from what I have read is the color, usually pink or bright yellow.
    Down side???
    I tie the pink stuff to things that might get lost if I dropped them.

Also got some of hot pink flagging tape & similar colored duct tape for marking my stakes. Boy, does it help in finding them!

I am pretty sure the braided trot line in the fishing section of WM is the same thing and it's OD green. It is rated at around 150# test, if I recall correctly. This is what I am using right now.
    I've looked for the trot line, but have never been able to find it at any of the WMs in the Brandon, FL, area.
    For those of you who like a splicing challenge (you know who you are), something to try, just need a smaller doll needle or piece of folded wire.
    I did make ML whoopie slings for my tarp guy lines. Works fine, but wears kinda weird at the bury exit. I draw the line at pink ML with my OD tarp, though; gotta go with the yellow, there. Pink is for the grey tarp.
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

Images
    i like the bright color, it keeps me from tripping over it. it's thin enough that you still can't really see it if you're more than 25' away or so. i feel like you can spot a camo tarp from farther away than you can spot bright 2mm line. (fwiw, you can get stringliner brand mason line in hunter green)

i think the real downside to mason line is that it's too limp, so it knots and snags easily.
    it has too much stretch as well, this can be avoided if you can find a similar item that's polyester instead of nylon, which some of the braided fishing lines are.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    JRB-Mt. Washington
    Warbonnetguy - I'd picked up the braided mason line from the local hardware store but I like what you send me much better. They look almost the same but the yellow you send seems much thicker and frays less then the pink braided I got. Do you have a brand you recommend?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nacra533 View Post
    Like everything else, I have jumped into this with both feet and am constantly looking for new things or different usages. Thought I'd share a couple.

Mason Line
    The down side of mason line from what I have read is the color, usually pink or bright yellow. I am pretty sure the braided trot line in the fishing section of WM is the same thing and it's OD green. It is rated at around 150# test, if I recall correctly. This is what I am using right now. For those of you who like a splicing challenge (you know who you are), something to try, just need a smaller doll needle or piece of folded wire.

CCF
    Has anyone tried or considered using hardwood flooring underlayment foam? It comes in big rolls and I imagine scrap could be picked up from an installer for free. It's thin 1/16"??, so probably comforms more and you could add layers to get to the desired thickness for moderate weather camping.
    Planer Board Line from Cabela's or other suppliers in High-Vis colors are lighter than mason line.

Ahhh, the hardwood underlayment foam pad. There are many different kinds of foam underlayments for flooring. The standard stuff is quite different from microfoam, which is much lighter, airy and plastic(y). I have a roll of the underlayment pad that I have cut chunks from and used as a pad off and on. Actually, it was my favorite pad with the DD hammocks I use to own. The problem with them is that they are heavy, but for car/backyard hanging, they work great.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cashley550 View Post
    Warbonnetguy - I'd picked up the braided mason line from the local hardware store but I like what you send me much better. They look almost the same but the yellow you send seems much thicker and frays less then the pink braided I got. Do you have a brand you recommend?

the stuff that you got from me was braided dyneema, it is samson "zing-it". kinda pricey, i'm trying to find some good stiff polyester right now.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Hard to find polyester in color that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Here are a couple that sell white or black.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast