hammock to replace bed.. with or without stand?

Hi, I was considering making a full time switch to a quality Brazilian hammock as a bed replacement. I have read other forums suggesting length, style, quality, etc. but was wondering, If I do not have the accessibility of hanging a hammock from studs/wall/ceiling in my apartment, either because my landlord doesn't want me poking holes in the sheet rock or because we have metal stud in our apartment, will a universal hammock stand make a decent replacement for a full time hammock sleeper. I realize this will cut the effective length of the hammock down to 9 feet instead of the 12 or 15 people shoot for and I have also read a post from cannibal elsewhere saying that it would reduce the spread of the hammock. Anyway, I am really interested in trying the hammock life out for a number of reasons and since I am also considering relocating, I think the switch could help me out economically as I would be able to bring my hammock with me much easier than a bed +beds are expensive. This has been bothering me a lot. Any help or advice about sleeping with the universal stands or recommendations for which ones to buy (or not buy) would be much appreciated. Also, any other advice about alternatives to hanging a hammock indoors would be appreciated, since as I said, I don't think I can drill holes. Thanks.

Hammock
    Sheltowee 20
    Tarp
    Speer
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Images
    I built a pipe stand for my fulltime hammock, and it works perfectly. I used plans from elsewhere on the forum and modified the dimensions to fit my room, my height and my hammock. I ended up moving recently, and it was no problem to partially disassemble and re-assemble at my new place..
    Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go! - Rudyard Kipling

Hammock
    Brazilian Organic Merlot Family
    @scottly...I would go with the Vario stand if you have the space. The base and arms are adjustable, giving you many customization options. You can also purchase an extender to extend the base even further if necessary. You can purchase the stand and extender at:

www.byerofmaine.com
    www.seasidehammocks.com

I know you can also purchase the stand at Amazon, but I'm not sure about the extender.

You may be giving up some comfort if you opt for the universal hammock stand. Check out the questions and answers for the same product at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Vivere-Univers...ZG&cdSort=best

Hammock
    ENO DN at home, WB Traveler camping
    Tarp
    Silnylon 8X10
    Insulation
    Dry Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I sleep mostly full time in a ENO double nest (Warbonnet Traveler in the woods). I purchased a hammock stand from IKEA for about $70. It's very short though so you'll have to attach the hammock ends directly to the stand. Meaning no cordage between the hammock and the stand. It's worked well for me.
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." John Muir

• + New Posts