Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Splicing: Easier Than I Thought

I've been avoiding learning how to splice for quite some time because I just didn't think I could do it without wasting a bunch of line. Plus, I admit that I had kind of an "I'm a Knot Guy & I Don't Need No Stinking Splices" attitude about the whole thing. I have, however, come to appreciate the clean look that splicing provides as well as the strength retention splicing affords over many (not all) knots. I still resisted trying until recently when I was fortunate enough to have PapaSmurf give me a quick demo on how he splices Lash-It & Amsteel. Seeing it up close and in person, as opposed to a YouTube video, made me think I might be able to do it. I gave it a go and put fixed-eye brummels and back-splices on my guy lines and ridge lines (1.75mm Zing-It) yesterday evening. With the exception of pooching my first back splice (accidentally pulled it in too far) it was pretty easy. Surprisingly easy. I knocked out my 8 guy lines and 2 ridge lines in about 30 minutes. I'm hooked. Gonna give whoopie slings a go soon.

Hammock
    WBBB/DL1.7 x2
    Tarp
    WBSF x2
    Insulation
    RidgeRest CCF Pads
    Suspension
    WB Adjustable Web
    Congratulations! Nothing beats up close and personal! Good on PapaSmurf for the demo. I've wondered if these old eyes and shaky hands could do it on something so tiny, but where does one get the tools? Here's a YouTube video I think I understand:

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 11ft Palace
    Insulation
    Yeti3,HG20º,UGQ50º
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Hang Tough, like the OP I didn't think I could or wanted to splice and brommel. After watching Opie's video like the one you linked to here, as well as one by a Kat in Colorado, I just had to give it a try. I went to Hobby Lobby and got the smallest knitting needle for under $2. Many use floral wire doubled over of various lengths and width. Then between starting and stopping the you-tube while accomlishing each step; I suddenly had my Stinger's on each ridgeline - replacing my knots. It is a cleaner look. I even went to the other end and simply spliced it into itself for a great end peice that won't fray and doesn't need burned. I wear contacts and other than getting very close to the zing-it to see the individual strands, my sight was not a problem. Like I stated in another post, if I can do this, anyone can! Go for it!

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Hang Tough View Post
    Congratulations! Nothing beats up close and personal! Good on PapaSmurf for the demo. I've wondered if these old eyes and shaky hands could do it on something so tiny, but where does one get the tools? Here's a YouTube video I think I understand...
    That's my blurry video. Here's my collection of "specialized" splicing tools for zing it, amsteel and dynaglide...

IMG_4543cropped (Medium)noted.jpg

It consists of:

- a cheap ceramic knife. Any very sharp knife will work...use a wood cutting board

- nail set from the tool box

- a piece of plastic rod from the junk box...I pointed the tip and used JB weld to make the round knob for comfort

- a piece of 12 gauge copper house wire I stripped the insulation off of and filed/sanded the end smooth and round

- a straight pick from the tool box

(the nail set, plastic rod and pick could all be replaced with an empty fine point ball point pen. etc.)

- Dritz Loop Turner...available from Dutchware Gear, Joanns Fabric, Amazon, etc.

- safety wire folded in half (most thin wire can be used) and fancied up with an unnecessary wood handle

- single strand of wire stripped from a bicycle brake cable folded in half (used this in the video...it's so flimsy that I had to use the copper wire to open up the Zing It first)

The point is, you probably have the "tools" laying around. Sharp knife, small piece of wood or the wifes cutting board, something pointy and a piece of wire folded in half.

Whoops, almost left out two of the most important items for those of us with old eyes...cheap reading glasses of an appropriate power for close up work and lots of light.

Hammock
    WBBB/DL1.7 x2
    Tarp
    WBSF x2
    Insulation
    RidgeRest CCF Pads
    Suspension
    WB Adjustable Web
    Thank you both for the encouragement and the tips--especially on the tools. You're right… between my garage and the Mrs' sewing stuff, I think we have everything. Guess I better get some Zing-It/Lash-It on order from reddenmarine.com. Does anyone have a current discount code for them?

[edit to add] I've got one of those magnifying glasses with the circular light around it on a flex arm--but it just shows me how badly my hands are shaking, LOL!

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    As far as I know, Hammockforum is still the 5% Redden Marine discount code.

Get some amsteel blue while you're ordering. It's easier to learn with in case you have any problems.

Hammock
    WBBB/DL1.7 x2
    Tarp
    WBSF x2
    Insulation
    RidgeRest CCF Pads
    Suspension
    WB Adjustable Web
    That did it, thanks! I tried it earlier but didn't capitalize the H. Added 120' of black 7/64" Amsteel Blue to 180' each of 1.75 mm Zing-It and Lash-It. Anything else I should grab on this order?

[edit to add] I've got 1,000 ft of 1/8" braided Dacron. Is it useful for hammocking?

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hang Tough View Post
    Congratulations! Nothing beats up close and personal! Good on PapaSmurf for the demo. I've wondered if these old eyes and shaky hands could do it on something so tiny, but where does one get the tools?
    I believe Dutch sells a couple of different sized splicing needles and a fish tool. I went with PapaSmurf's method and bought a pack of upholstery needles from JoAnn Fabrics. I used the smallest one in the package for my Zing-It and will use the next smallest one when I give amsteel a go. I did round over the tips so that I wouldn't be able to accidentally drive the things thru my hand or into my leg. FWIW I've worn eyeglasses since kindergarten (1969) and my eyes aren't young anymore but I didn't have any problems seeing well enough.
    Last edited by Trail Runner; 07-02-2014 at 13:51.

Hammock
    WBBB/DL1.7 x2
    Tarp
    WBSF x2
    Insulation
    RidgeRest CCF Pads
    Suspension
    WB Adjustable Web
    My wife keeps JoAnn's in business. She has a set of those upholstery needles and loop turners of various sizes. Thanks for the suggestions!

Hammock
    BIAS
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Hammockgear 3/4
    Suspension
    HammockFan Anchors
    I have a bunch of professional splicing tools for work, but if I didn't have a need, I'd definitely be scrounging around the house. For the types of splices required for hammock camping, and really any general outdoorsy stuff, there's no reason $10 at a craft store shouldn't suffice.

It's easier by far to learn on any of the larger sized 12-strand (like Amsteel) before taking on the small diameter stuff, and the skills translate quite easily. You won't be splicing Turbo-37 or the like, but it will cover what you need to hang in the woods. If you really want to get frisky, you can always do a tuck/bury splice instead of a locked brummel.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast