Long Time Hangers, What componets would you use for a complete suspension system?

I’ve been cruising this forum for a long time even, before I became a member. I spent a lot of hours reading threads because I was thinking of trying hammock camping (backpacking, hunting) to get off the ground. So this last winter I sewed a 1.9 oz double ripstop 11 foot hammock with channels, I made a double PLUQ, I could only buy 3/16 amsteel blue locally, which, I did but it seemed a little over kill. So I ordered 7/64 amsteel and I just got it. I have decender rings, climbing rate 1" strap, nano biners, and two big pear shaped aluminum biners that fit my channels.

I was originally thinking to use the pear shaped biners in my channel (give the effect of a mini spreader bar) to small continues loop to descender rings (water break) to whoopie sling to tree straps.

After reading all these threads, I'm undecide about whick way to go.

Some people say don't use rope on rope and hardware on hardware, others are no hardware.

some say UCR, others whoopie slings

So what components would you use for a complete system, that was high on comfort (ease of use and feel using) and safety (wear and support weight without fail to hold), willing to sacrifice some on system weight in my pack for the prior.

Thanks for your input, Chuck

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Racer slings with a cinch buckle through an end channel to tree straps and a Dutch Clip

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I've tried a bunch of options and settled on a 7' and a 5' tree strap (1" wide polyester from Dutch) and 6' long whoopie slings (Dynaglide). I also carry a 4' long dog-bone of Dynaglide in case of a large tree or me theoretically pulling the adjustable bury through on my sling (just a theory mind you )

Almost forgot to add that I attach to the hammock with a small continuous loop with a Dutch Whoopie Hook. That gives me a water break and easily removable suspension.
    Last edited by MAD777; 07-02-2014 at 22:46.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by ctaylorwy View Post

I was originally thinking to use the pear shaped biners in my channel (give the effect of a mini spreader bar) to small continues loop to descender rings (water break) to whoopie sling to tree straps.
    I would think whoopies direct on the biners would be enough water break. No need to add hardware that isn't needed.

The climber rated straps may have some stretch, so keep that in mind. It is designed to hold your weight but give a little to soften the fall.

Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    Racer slings with a cinch buckle through an end channel to tree straps and a Dutch Clip
    Took me a moment to find "Racer Slings". they didn't come up on a forum search. I had to Google it. I almost bought some of them at REI last time I was in there.

Thanks

Thanks, I will need to get some poly strap.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    I've tried a bunch of options and settled on a 7' and a 5' tree strap (1" wide polyester from Dutch) and 6' long whoopie slings (Dynaglide). I also carry a 4' long dog-bone of Dynaglide in case of a large tree or me theoretically pulling the adjustable bury through on my sling (just a theory mind you )
    Thanks for your input.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I've settled on the Dutch Whoopie Hooks as the suspension for all my hammocks. It provides a water break (underneath the tarp, where it should be); it allows me to pack dry hammock separate from wet suspension, and it's light. I also bring a few continuous loops to extend the tree huggers if necessary.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    11.5' DIY Argon 1.6
    Tarp
    ArgonSil11'/wdoors
    Insulation
    20F Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have 2 main set-ups:

6.5' whoopes + 12.5' tree straps Using either Dutch Buckle or a Marlin Spike Hitch

or Carabiners and daisy chains like the ENO Atlas straps.

All my hammocks are set up to go with either with jsut a 5 second change-out. My car hammock I try the carabiner method first as it is quicker, but I have back-up whoopees; while backpacking, Whoopies only because I don't want to be caught in a situation that I can't hang (And they are much lighter).

I use extra long straps for any tree connection as I live near lots of old-growth forest and have found places that an 8' strap just doesn't cut it.

I avoid cord on cord as it can bend the rope tighter than it is designed, cause excess friction, cause increased wear, and makes it a bit more of a pain to swap out parts. I get this from my rock climbing background where we try to minimize any risk we take. I do not worry about metal on metal, though my setup also doesn't include any instances of metal on metal.

• + New Posts