DIY "Taco" Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Wingardium Leviosa
    Quote Originally Posted by PTAaron View Post
    I love my Doublenest and have no intention of replacing it with anything else any time soon.

Why did I buy it? It was on sale at REI, had a gift card, and I wanted a hammock. Do I care if it is a "Ford" rather than a "Ferrari"? Not even a little bit, it works, it was affordable, and it was available when I wanted it. I've never cared what the "brand name snobs" have thought about anything I own, and I don't intend to start now
    I kind of got into ENO for the same reason. I had the hennessy hammock, but I wanted something for winter without a bug net that was smaller and lighter (since winter backpacking means bulkier clothes and a thicker under quilt. I had everything else... straps, tarp, etc. The ENO single nest was on sale at REI and I had a member refund and a gift card. So for next to nothing I got a winter hammock that works great with my existing equipment, and once I added whoopee slings, it went perfectly with my other stuff. So I have an ENO under a hennessy hex tarp, with hennessy straps and whoopee slings, and hammock gear quilt sets. My tarp tensioners and tarp tree straps I made myself, copying Dutch's "tarp flies". You don't get more cottage industry than making it in your own cottage.
    For more info, read:

My personal blog

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Is there a reason to buy ENO? An educated reason? No matter what ENO product you list, I can find you a better product at a better price.
    Yes. Like Hennessy ENO mass markets so anyone interested can drop into a local shop and pick one up now. You can add Byer to that list. Availability for beginners is 90% of the battle just like location is for real estate. ;-) FWIW The 30% or so margin required to make money on specialty products is what lets folks like Brandon and Randy charge enough to make it worth competing. Their unit costs are higher because they do not have the advantage of volume purchasing materials even if they have the best cutting and sewing setup around. While my pocket book can disagree that is advantage for the community by providing more choices.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    Variable
    Tarp
    Surperfly
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Variable
    Quote Originally Posted by anvil440 View Post
    Eno is great. As an entry level, mass produced hammock, it serves as the gateway drug for many full time hammockers. Imagine how many folks here started in an Eno then found this forum and discovered the many other options from the cottage vendors. They upgrade their hammock systems and hand down or sell their old Eno system allowing another hammock virgin to get addicted.

Eno is the gateway drug of hammocks.
    That's pretty much how it happened for me. I'll probably be purchasing my fourth hammock soon (may have narrowed it down to a WBRR... but not sure), and an ENO DN was my first one. It certainly got me hooked on hammocking. I had a woven one back in boy scouts, and used to play around in it but only for a while. The ENO was the first hammock I slept overnight in. The reason for buying it was because it was mentioned by a co-worker. I just got into backpacking again this year after a 15yr hiatus. He mentioned how a lot of people now "hammock camp", and that ENO were nice. I've been out of the loop for a while, so I just blindly bought one. I took a big ole hit off that DN, and yeah... I wanted more!

I also have a HH Expedition Asym Zip, and the other hammock I had I gave to my mom. I use the DN as a lounger, mostly when on my 30min lunch break at work... but also as a backup camping hammock if someone else needs one. I have the bug net and fly too, and I put whoopies on it as well, so it's an acceptable backup for camping. I still take naps in it, but I do prefer the lay in my HH.

I do wish they were made in the USA. I was also disappointed to find out HH wasn't either. I hope Warbonnet is, I just got a superfly and I freakin love that thing.

Overall though, I basically agree with HYOH. I'm just looking to spend some quality time sleeping outdoors.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    ENO Housefly
    Insulation
    Jarbidge UQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas straps
    Images
    i have a singlenest and i love it. as long as you are comfortable and hanging, that's all that matters. have a great time and who's to say you're at fault for having a certain brand of something? at least you're loving it right? keep on hanging!

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456