Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images

Moderation question - post/thread removal

People were kind enough to point out that valuable off-topic threads are commonly moved by moderators to the donating members sub-forums of the site.

How about new off-topic posts, or replies to a post, which aren't deemed valuable? Is it common practice to delete posts due to their perceived merit or contribution to the current thread? If so, are the posters of the deleted posts typically (or ever) notified?

I'm pretty sure (more on this later) that I posted a reply to a FS thread where I commented on the good offering price and utility of a piece of gear listed for sale. My reply didn't request details on the listed item or express an interest in buying it, so perhaps it was deemed not positively contributing to the thread and was removed. I don't know, because I wasn't notified of a deletion. In fact, I'm not entirely sure I posted that reply at all due to a shoddy memory. Limits to my knowledge of the site search tools, and limits of the tools themselves, only further befuddle me when I go back to look for something later.

So, back to the question at hand: Are posts routinely deleted without notice at mod discretion?

I understand that active moderation is absolutely required to keep a community like this on task, and I really appreciate the effort put forth by the people doing that job. That said, lack of notification of post edits/deletions/moves sure can be confusing for someone that doesn't know all the rules or trust their own memory. I've read the TOS a couple times and I didn't notice anything which outlined a detailed moderation process. I've done what searches I know how to read up on the subject and I'm still a bit in the dark.

Thanks for any clarification on the subject, and keep up the good work!

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Here's my wild guess. If you commented on the price, it might have been taken as "price police" behavior, though I have posted "That's a great price!" on items I was familiar with but didn't intend to buy. Then there's "shoddy memory" which seems more likely. It has happened to me.

Saw a quote recently: "Take a lesson from your dog. When life gives you ****, kick grass over it and move on." The grass has been kicked.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Posts are deleted without explanation. It happens. Often there is a warning if a thread is derailed or off topic, but not always.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    If you look in the TOS it says, "No off topic discussions are allowed in FS or WTB threads. Off topic discussion will be deleted at the moderators discretion." So comments like "That's a great price," or "somebody will be happy with this," or "these items would sell quicker if you sold them individually rather than as a package" aren't on topic for someone trying to sell something.

So unless you're asking about the item for sale, it's probably off-topic.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    It can be argued that any comments in a for sale thread that aren't offers to buy, or direct questions seeking clarification could be considered off topic.

I know people want to be supportive, and encourage people in their sales, or 'help out' by letting others know what a great deal it is, or chime in with "I'd totally buy this if it weren't for X or Y reason". But really, unless you're buying or asking questions before you buy, any chatter in a for sale thread is not really warranted.

And yes, moderators will sometimes delete posts without notification. I'm sure the intention is to notify people - but there's only a few mods, and they're working on a volunteer basis, so I'd wager they just don't have the time to send PMs to people for every instance. My guess would be that it's not out of any malice or ill will - just a matter of prioritizing time.

I will go out on a limb and suggest that except in extreme circumstances, the mods will not delete posts based on any ranking of perceived value or merit in the discussion, as long as it is not in violation of TOS.

If the thread you're referencing was the one I'm thinking of, the comments were veering towards being in violation of TOS. So in that scenario the mods probably just deleted everything that wasn't specifically adding to the sale, all in one fell swoop, in order to clean up the thread, and keep things from being confusing.

EDIT: SS typed faster than I did.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    FWIW I do not recall deleted threads but I do recall some locked one's. Once a thread is locked it disappears in that there are no new comments to keep it in the rotation. Sale threads have several sensitive issues and you might have crossed into one of them. I don't know what you posted but there seems to be resistance to criticizing prices asked except to point out if there is a current sale undercutting the offer. I think part of that is to help keep the prices high for some products so the courtesy is extended to all.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    HF For Sale Rule # 6 - "No off topic discussions are allowed in FS or WTB threads. Off topic discussion will be deleted at the moderators discretion."

Quote Originally Posted by silentorpheus View Post
    It can be argued that any comments in a for sale thread that aren't offers to buy, or direct questions seeking clarification could be considered off topic...
    And this is our interpretation which after a period of neglect is now being enforced as we happen to come across them.

At the moderators discretion, posts in the Marketplace forums will be deleted so as not to clutter FS threads. The Marketplace is not a discussion forum. Due to the shear volume, no notifications will be made.

In forums outside of the Marketplace, members are typically notified of posts being removed for violating HF TOS or those simply being moved to a more appropriate forum.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images
    And yes, moderators will sometimes delete posts without notification. I'm sure the intention is to notify people - but there's only a few mods, and they're working on a volunteer basis, so I'd wager they just don't have the time to send PMs to people for every instance. My guess would be that it's not out of any malice or ill will - just a matter of prioritizing time.
    I don't know what tools are available to the mods, and how much effort it is to delete versus notify + delete, especially when they need to do bulk surgery in a thread. In a perfect world there might be an auto-response PM/notification to a deleted post that defaulted to an "off-topic" explanation, but they could change it to things like "don't be a jerk", or "duplicate post". I'm not looking for a detailed analysis of what might have led to a post edit/delete, but I'd sure appreciate a quick lesson in what I did wrong, and the validation that I actually had posted something and it is no longer there. By learning I may be far less likely to create more work for them in the future in return for what might be a few extra mouse clicks (again, assuming the right tools were available to mods to simplify the process).

I will go out on a limb and suggest that except in extreme circumstances, the mods will not delete posts based on any ranking of perceived value or merit in the discussion, as long as it is not in violation of TOS.

If the thread you're referencing was the one I'm thinking of, the comments were veering towards being in violation of TOS. So in that scenario the mods probably just deleted everything that wasn't specifically adding to the sale, all in one fell swoop, in order to clean up the thread, and keep things from being confusing.
    My missing post (assuming I actually posted it, and it wasn't a fever dream) essentially boiled down to "That's a great price on the Hummer 1.0 of backpacks". With hindsight I can see how it didn't contribute much to a FS discussion, and that it could have invited even more off-topic responses that might fully derail the original FS post. I have no objections to its removal under the circumstances.

It'd be good to get a mod's take on the notification subject in general. If the available tools, thread management processes, or staffing levels don't easily allow notifications then my feedback/suggestion (totally ON-TOPIC here!) is please consider improving that situation.
    Last edited by DanglingModifier; 07-03-2014 at 14:33. Reason: gmcttr was one step ahead of me

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    In forums outside of the Marketplace, members are typically notified of posts being removed for violating HF TOS or those simply being moved to a more appropriate forum.
    THIS addresses my major concern and point of confusion. Thanks for the clarification gmcttr!

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    If you want to know what happened, PM a mod, they'll get back to you.

On two separate occassions I have ask a mod "what's up with dat?!?" And both times I received a prompt, courteous explanation. Granted this is anecdotal but I offer the suggestion nonetheless.

Only thing I'll add is, and I'm saying this generally, not directed at the OP, don't take stuff too personally, this is interweb afterall.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

• + New Posts