Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

USGI gore tex bivy bag plus Open Cell foam in Garlington Taco layout?

Just picked up this USGI MSS Goretex Bivy bag; and got to thinking, while it IS heavy, it's basically waterproof/windproof...what if I were to dissect it and use the material to make a sort of Garlington Taco insulator, with open cell foam sectioned from a $10 wal mart open cell mattress topper (around 2" tall...)..... would that be a quick and effective lightweight way to get insulation with less weight? I am aware the goretex bivy bag as is is like 2 pounds, so cutting it down wouldn't be a problem for me....OR i could just sew loops on the corners and then hang it as is..... and then get lightweight DWR nylon for the shell..... (or cannibalize my 4yards of camo DWR from RRBTW....which WAS gonna be used as an undercover of sorts lol)

Hammock
    DIY 12' PolyD
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10 silArgon
    Insulation
    HG 0º UQ / 20º TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    That's actually not a half bad idea. I have the bivy as well and have been wondering what I should do with it for a while now.

Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Open Cell under pad; NOT like HHSS's pad;

Quote Originally Posted by SirMarkos View Post
    That's actually not a half bad idea. I have the bivy as well and have been wondering what I should do with it for a while now.
    More I looked at the bivy bag...more I think it's best left alone and in the car ready for emergencies.....along with the CCF pads I have, and the USGI Intermediate Cold modified mummy bag.....

SO with a Full size "5 zone" Walmart Open Cell foam mattress topper, at 50" wide, I lopped off enough to make it 48"x50" wide for a 3/4 length system, and used the camo DWR material I have as the primary cover material; and shock cord..... here's the first tries with two pics;

Under Pad first test.jpg

Under Pad end.jpg

the Under Pad suspension triangles, with the excess cord on one end, I made a triangle, and tied another triangle to the other end; I am going to revise them and add plastic toggles from a cannibalized tent...
    Under Pad suspension triangle.jpg

after an afternoon, I felt I needed to make the ends actually hug the hammock.....so I went home and cut triangles out of the foam, and left the cover alone, added channels for shock cord, and here's how it looks.....

Under Pad revised 1.jpg

Under Pad Revised 2.jpg

tested it today in the breeze....it is insulating, it blocks most of the wind, felt drafts though, but confirmed that there are no gaps....most of the drafts were outside the under pad's area....so am considering using the army poncho as an under cover, as it's waterproof..until I can get more Silnylon....OR use the goretex bivy bag as a cover inside the hammock. (not sure how it'll help but...)

Weight wise, it is LIGHT...... packability? Not so much. it's SO bulky when I tried to stuff it.....so I'll figure out a way to carry it with my pack, but with the USGI MSS black stuff sack, it isn't a problem really....

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Good work with the open cell foam pad. The underpad for the HHSS is shaped so that it hugs the hammock and eliminates any gaps. In your cased you can get spray adhesive for open cell foam and glue the edges of your cut out sections together so it creates the 3D shape and will stay that way.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    Good work with the open cell foam pad. The underpad for the HHSS is shaped so that it hugs the hammock and eliminates any gaps. In your cased you can get spray adhesive for open cell foam and glue the edges of your cut out sections together so it creates the 3D shape and will stay that way.

Cheers

Brian
    I'm considering the spray adhesive, but so far I think it's better this way for packability..

I am aware of the HHSS system's shape, thanks though!

I used it on an overnight trip in Sisters; it kept me warm after a while.....took a bit to get the air warmed up from set up to sleeping; but it works! is pretty light, MUCH lighter than my old sleeping bag converted to UQ, and a teeny bit heavier than the CCF pad. It IS bulky to pack, but using the USGI MSS black 9 strap compression bag, I was able to compress it down enough to utilize my pack's MOLLE panel compression system.

• + New Posts