Tarp
    HH Hex Rainfly 70D
    Insulation
    Down TQ + UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    I use a tarp, but with separate tarp poles. Even my WB Edge is too long to fit between the struts.

I also tried increasing the distance between the struts (maybe by 15cm), but this did nothing for the slack ridgeline. And I was worried that the angle of the struts did change too much. I assume, the struts achieve their max. capacity only at the 65° angle. I don't want to break my new toy

Do you manage to keep the ridgeline taut?
    Hi Hutzelbein,

even with the double strut kit without hammock I would recommend Dereks modification. This will ensure, that the angle of 65° will always be correct and your toy won't break.

As my construction is for using with my tarp (Henessy Hex Rainfly), my measurements won't fit for your setup, but explaining mine may be helpful for yours.

The distance between the two groundplates for the struts is about 260 cm (103"). To keep it simple, I added a fixed cord (centre- or baseline) between the two groundplates. Because the struts are still in an angle of 65°, the distance between the rings for connection to the hammock is long enough to add my tarp with shockcord to the carabiner. They are the same carabiners I use to add my hammock to the installation.

Because of my whoppie slings I have to connect on side directly with the fixed loop to the carabiner, but the other side can be pulled up, so the ridgeline will be stretched tight.

The distance between hammock an tarp could be more convenient but in an area with a hammock and without trees you shouldn't be choosy.

To make things more clear, I add some pictures:

IMG_0152_1024.jpgAs you can see, there is no need to be afraid regarding clearance to the ground.
    IMG_0155_1024.jpg
    IMG_0245_1024.jpg
    IMG_0243_1024.jpgDon't be suprised about the suspension. The two first picture are with my WBBB (and whoopies), the others are with my second hammock (webbing suspension).

On picture four you can see, there is enough space to stretch suspension.

I hope my explanations will be helpful for you. Keep us updated with your results.

Cheers

Das Bushbaby

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    That's very helpful, thanks. Which tarp are you using? What's the ridgeline length? [Edit: Should have read the post more closely - Hennessy Hex / 11'...] And how do you cope with tarp sag? I imagine that the tarp ridgeline will go just as slack as the hammock ridgeline when you load the hammock?

After doing some calculations, I think that increasing the distance between the groundplates to ~250 cm would give me enough space to hang the WB Edge. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about the hammock suspension, though. When I set up that stand as is, it's sufficient to clip a biner into the o-ring and into the endless loop of the Blackbird. I assume that with a longer distance, I'll need to add length. So still a bit of fiddling required...
    Last edited by hutzelbein; 07-09-2014 at 13:54.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    One more question: have you used your set-up in heavy rain / bad weather? How did it hold up?

Hammock
    WB BB + BB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    HH Hex Rainfly 70D
    Insulation
    Down TQ + UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    The sag of the tarp could really be an issue.

To reduce the sag, I added shockcord to connect the tarp to the struts (no ridgeline). In addition I take care, that the pins are placed with care, so the construction will be fixed and not flex while using the hammock.

Because of the ridgeline of the WBBB and the broad distance between the two struts, I can lower the tension of the suspension to encrease the distance between tarp and hammock if required. So, I would recommend, to use at most one fixed loop and keep the other side flexible with using the original webbing (as you can see on pic 4).

As I bought the handy hammock stand only some weeks ago, the field test during hard rain is still pending. I could imagine to improve my setup for the tarp in using my trekking poles on one or both sides and lift the edge(s) of the tarp for having more space.

It's like you said before, bit of fiddling. But funny and interesting too.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images
    I haven't used a Handy Hammock (yet), but from pictures and previous posts I didn't think there would be any way of getting around using hiking poles (or an alternative) to keep the tarp consistently pitched during load.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    OK, I just ordered some shock cord to make the modifications. I might try to run it under the tarp to hold it up - just need to add some drip strings to prevent the rain running under the tarp. I guess I have more experimenting to do before going on my bike trip.

Hammock
    WB BB + BB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    HH Hex Rainfly 70D
    Insulation
    Down TQ + UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I thought, you are going to use separate poles for your tarp. If you add it to the hhs, I recommend shockcord with at least 6 mm or more. Available by diy hardware stores like Bauhaus (search for Gummileine). Meanwhile I doubled mine. Tell me, if I'm wrong, but mounting the shockcord from one side to the other, you will have a lot of stretching. Keep the range of shockcord as short as possible.
    Last edited by DasBushbaby; 07-10-2014 at 15:28.

Hammock
    Sheltowee Boone 20*
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Very useful information here. I'll be doing the same for a September trip, and this has given me some ideas.
    I'd rather be hanging.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DasBushbaby View Post
    I thought, you are going to use separate poles for your tarp.
    I didn't know that hanging the tarp from the HH struts could be done. That's why I got a pair of tarp poles. But if I can do it without, I'd prefer that, since space on my bike is limited. And going uphill, any gram less is appreciated Unfortunately I have no opportunity to spend a night in the set-up; I'll have to make do with a test-run on the local playground and hope it'll work on the bike trip. Ah well, I've got my t*nt with me for the worst case scenario.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I wonder if the tarp sagging issue could be fixed without shock cord, by running the tarp ridgeline somehow "through" the struts and fix it to the ground with 2 extra stakes. In theory, this should keep the tarp taut, because the length of the ridgeline doesn't depend on strut movement. Unfortunately, the hole in the plastic top runs perpendicular to the ridgeline... I have to give this more thought. And take a stroll through the hardware store. If I can leave the tarp poles at home, I'd be a happy camper

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast