WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images

Handy Hammock stand and Warbonnet Blackbird (WBBB)

I just got a Handy Hammock portable hammock stand for my upcoming bicycle trip. I don't want to do stealth hanging, so I have to make do with what I find at public campsites. I don't expect to find many trees.

I ordered the stand without the hammock, since I want to use my trusty WB Blackbird (the old 10' version) with it. I started setting up the stand but ran out of light and postponed it. Also, it wasn't as straight forward as I had hoped - you definitely need to watch the set-up videos. However, I couldn't find any videos or tips on how to use the stand with a Blackbird (or any other 10' hammock). The hammock that usually comes with the stand is a bit shorter than 10', so I assume that I need to adjust the distance between the poles. Is anybody else using the Handy Hammock stand with a longer hammock and has figured out the perfect way to set it up? This would probably safe me a lot of fiddle time

Hammock
    DD Frontline
    Tarp
    Hoochie
    Insulation
    DIY Under Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I made my own version of the handy hammock. Best way to set it up each time for a longer hammock is to set it up the way you want at home. The make a piece of line up with a loop at each end. Place the bottom of the poles in each lop. The correct length is achieved each time now .

ohh, and run a tension rope at the top to get it all to hold itself up.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Yes, that's what I was planning to do. But I was hoping that somebody had already done it and could help me out with the exact measurements

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Scroll down for Dereks mods for easy setup... http://theultimatehang.com/2012/12/h...ecommendations

In his comments below, he suggests the stand will work as is with hammocks up to 11'.

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ - Printed SilP
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/UGQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckles
    Images
    Use each of Derek's mods.. in particular, the shock cord along the top.. it'll save you a lot of frustration, especially if the ground is wet.

For my 10' DIY hammock, the distance between the struts is 75".. that being said, I made the following changes to my 10' hammock to make it easier to use in the handy hammock:
    Removed the RL (due to sag issues)
    Removed the suspension, and added continuous loops to the hammock ends, using a pair of whoopie hooks as show in Derek's Mods.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Thanks; I set up the stand today. I started out with the distances recommended by the manufacturer. I didn't have to use Derek's mods because I got the double strut kit without hammock, which includes the connector-sets. I only added a pair of Dutch Biners to be able to easily clip in the Blackbird. I will probably add some shock cord in the future, to be able to keep the hammock off the ground. For the moment, it's not a huge issue.

The only issue I have is too much sag. I have had similar issues with the Turtle Dog Stand I built a couple of years ago. It made me ditch the stand and use pad eyes indoors. When setting up stand and hammock, the hammock ridgeline is tight. But as soon as I get into the hammock, the ridgeline sags. A lot. I assume that the stand flexes a bit (or maybe the pegs give a bit) and there is really nothing that I can do to prevent it. This is annoying because I get the net in my face, and of course, the lay changes. Unfortunately not to the better. In my BB I get the best comfort when the ridgeline is pretty tight while I'm in the hammock... If I'm wrong and if there's a fix, I'd be grateful for instructions. Thanks!

Hammock
    WB BB + BB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    HH Hex Rainfly 70D
    Insulation
    Down TQ + UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Hi Hutzelbein, are you going to use your BB with or without tarp? I encreased the length of the centerline, added Dereks modification and it works fine for me. No need for the shockcord, because I use my BB protected with snakeskins, to erect the poles. As I'm using whoopies, the length of my centreline won't fit for your setup to. It's a bit of trial and error.

Das Bushbaby

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I use a tarp, but with separate tarp poles. Even my WB Edge is too long to fit between the struts.

I also tried increasing the distance between the struts (maybe by 15cm), but this did nothing for the slack ridgeline. And I was worried that the angle of the struts did change too much. I assume, the struts achieve their max. capacity only at the 65° angle. I don't want to break my new toy

Do you manage to keep the ridgeline taut?

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    KNT12/16
    Insulation
    KAQ RC 4S UQ
    Suspension
    Slings and arrows
    Hat's off to HH trailblazers! From this and a few other HH-related posts, I gather the main problem is the tensed struts are too short for longer hammocks to allow sufficient hammock-ground clearance beneath while simultaneously retaining the optimal load and lay angles.

I imagine the ground clearance might be worked around by hanging over a slight depression, but that could be problematic when drainage is considered. Speaking of which, I would think longer spars would be better in general as they might allow better ground clearance over a mound or convex slope - ideal for drainage.

I hope HH or another maker will offer a longer tensed strut or add-on extension (e.g. Ti or composite and suitable for a RR or extra long GE). Perhaps a right-sized tensed spar is already available in sail rigging that could be repurposed (if not cost-prohibitive).
    Latest inspiration: In the dirt. Ep3
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UX7ieDrNvnU

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Clearance is not a problem at all. The struts are high enough. My 10' hammock was hanging at a height I would hang it between trees, too. I haven't tried an 11' hammock, but I have heard that it's possible. The strut flex seems to be a problem that any stand has. If you don't use a fixed ridgeline, it's a non-issue.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast