WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'

Tarp Position and setup

Hey guys, as it is now I am using biners on my warbonnet, then when its up and set, tying plain ol knots to tie the tarp with speer no tangle bove the biners. My question is do you tie the tarp above the hammock webbing or below the hammock webbing? It tarp line running down the middle of my maccat is also off center from the hammock because of the way i have it setup the webbing is in the way. Anyway, any advice would be great, on how you guys do it. I've got a sil right now but im gonna switch it out for a spinn, i know you dont need the tarp tensioners, so let me know how to tie it to the tree with sil as well as spinn, thanks guys.

Also I seem to be having problems getting the BB centered under the tarp to where I feel like it would not get wet. I get the BB where i want it as far as webbing position and tension, then i have to readjust it because the tarp is off center, anyway, if you guys could run through how you do it quick and right, let me know.

Do you guys pull your tarps taught in the middle? Also, how high off the ground are your hammocks when your sitting in them with the tarp covering them most the time?
    Last edited by ikemouser; 07-19-2009 at 00:26.

Images
    i attach my tarp ridgeline guylines above where the hammock suspension is attached to the tree, usually just an inch or two above. then i can leave sag in the rl guylines to lower the rl of the tarp to where it needs to be. both my hammock suspension and tarps rl guylines end up running downward at a similar 25-30 deg angle.

i'll try to center the tarp lengthwise over the hammock when i'm setting the tarp up so i have the same amount of overlap at each end. if it's off a little the hammock can be adjusted too.

i don't use tensioners, i find that if it pitch my tarp extra taut to begin with it doesn't loosen much (sil tarp)

my hammock is almost always about chair height off the ground with me in it.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Ike, its the hammock learning curve. We all have our own way to do things. Its like learning to ride a bike. I could tell you all there is to know about a bike, but till you get on and start pedaling, you never fully get it. Just keep at it. I set mine up alot at first to find whats comfortable to me. After a few times (maybe more than a few) you learn the tricks of how high, and where you like to hang. And depending on the weather, sometimes the tarp is high for warm days, and down low for stormy days. It is a matter of preference and conditions.
    You'll get it, just stick with it. and you'll learn what works for you.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    One thing to focus on is to hang the tarp first, and try to center it between your chosen trees. Getting it centered is all about practice.

Having it centered means less adjustment when you hang the hammock, and getting in the practice of always hanging the tarp first will make sure you have a dry spot to hang the hammock when it's raining.

As far as tying to the trees, there are quite a few different ways to do that. Fig-9's (small ones) are popular for hanging it without knots, but with small diameter cord like the Speer those can abrade the cord some. Perhaps a trucker's hitch would be a good solution there.

I also use the Speer guyline, but only on the guyouts and not the ridge. I found that paracord (with the core stripped out and the sheath pre-stretched) makes a great tarp ridgeline that stands up to using the small Fig-9's.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    What nobody has asked yet is what size tarp are you using? And what suspension? The BB is a longer hammock than most. A smaller tarp presents more of a challenge.

If you are using the ring and strap suspension, hang your tarp first, making sure to center the tarp between the trees as angrysparrow mentioned. Yes, it is a little more fudging with the hammock, but with the ring buckles it should be fairly easy to adjust. I hang my hammock first in dry weather, and that makes hanging the tarp easy, but it is good to practice hanging the tarp first so you can do it.

I believe this method is Ed Speer's method for tying your tarp, at least that was what was told to me. Basically, run your tarp line to the tree. Go around the tree once with your tarp line, and when you reach your original line coming from the tarp, go over and around that line and back around the tree. Go all the way around again until you come to your tarp line, and go over and around again, and back around the tree. Tie off your line to the original line with a slippery half hitch. This centers your tarp line coming off the tree and gives you an easy/fast knot to remove. Requires a little more line if you are dealing with a very large tree, but it works really well.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fin View Post
    What nobody has asked yet is what size tarp are you using?
    He mentioned a MacCat in the first post.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    I've tied onto the biners with good results. That way small rope is not bitting into the tree bark. But it does limmit your options as to the height you can set your ridgeline.
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    He mentioned a MacCat in the first post.
    MacCat comes in multiple sizes. Is it a micro, a standard, a deluxe or an Ultra? All should be plenty long enough, anyway. I could see where a micro or even a standard would be a tight fit, lengthwise, and might require a little tweaking to feel comfortable with your coverage.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    When setting up in fair weather I put up the hammock then drape the mac cat over the hammock, lining up the ends with the whipping on the hammock. For centering the ridgeline of tarp over ridgeline of hammock, remember that the tension you put on the tarp guys has a lot to do with it - too much tension on one side and you'll have trouble tensioning the other without getting the tarp off center.

where the tarp is in relation to the hammock suspension on the trees depends on how much clearance I want under the tarp.

Hammock
    WBBBB dbl1.1 mint
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    3S Phoenix,DIY
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Hey Ike-

I'm in my first season of hammocking as well....I have a BB with Mac Deluxe....

Fig 9 carabiners have helped me tremendously in setting the ridgeline on the tarp....At least as far as lengthwise is concerened....they make it really easy to adjust the tarp front to back to get it perfectly centered....that way you don't have to mess with the lay of hammock once you get that where you want it.

mike

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast