Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by dynamicsnail View Post
    Interesting. I came across a ton of white tulle and was trying to figure out how to make it easier to see OUT of--never thought of spray paint (seems like it was rub off when flexing).
    You are correct, it does fall of a bit when flexed, and it does not compress as much as it used to.

Quote Originally Posted by ntxkayakr View Post
    Yours does look better than black no-sew-um bug netting however the advantage of black is that it is easier to see out of. I have dyed a lot of fabrics with "Rit" brand liquid and powdered salt based dye. These work great with cotton to make your own camo but are very difficult with most synthetic fabrics.
    As you said it would not work on synthetic fabrics. I dunno if there are bug nets made from cotton or other organic fabric.

But like I said, this was just a test, maybe it would have been smarter to buy a black net and paint few stripes and blobs with bright green spraypaint, that way there would be much less paint on the net. Gotta buy the black net and try it out.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    www.owfinc.com sells camo bugnet material.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Looks great. Did it add much weight?

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    I really like it. I have not considered using spray paint on netting, however it worked very well in this case.

Dharma sells a lot of different types of paint and dye, I am always playing with their products, I like dye because in absorbs, it does not stay on the surface like paint tends to.

I like the bright green add in, it keeps the unit from being too bland, so often the muted colors give away the location of camo. Or at least that is my humble opinion.

Great Job, I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by IRONFISH45 View Post
    I really like it. I have not considered using spray paint on netting, however it worked very well in this case.

Dharma sells a lot of different types of paint and dye, I am always playing with their products, I like dye because in absorbs, it does not stay on the surface like paint tends to.

I like the bright green add in, it keeps the unit from being too bland, so often the muted colors give away the location of camo. Or at least that is my humble opinion.

Great Job, I like it.
    I happened to have a can of bright green spray paint made for graffiti (I am not one of those wallpainters), it had amazing coverage, only a small amount of paint showed really good on the net. Those other paints had to be painted several times over to even show up properly. Those paints will propably shed off first.

Quote Originally Posted by jbritely View Post
    Looks great. Did it add much weight?
    I haven't weighted yet, but it has surely gained some mass.

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by -VPN- View Post
    As you said it would not work on synthetic fabrics. I dunno if there are bug nets made from cotton or other organic fabric.

But like I said, this was just a test, maybe it would have been smarter to buy a black net and paint few stripes and blobs with bright green spraypaint, that way there would be much less paint on the net. Gotta buy the black net and try it out.
    The common "rit" brand and similar dyes work best on cotton but with more time and strength they are somewhat effective on synthetic fabrics. However, buying camo bug netting is easier. But my main point is to stand back a foot or two and look through both camo and black. Black obstructs your view less. Ghillie net over tarp and everything if you really want to hide.

Quote Originally Posted by ntxkayakr View Post
    The common "rit" brand and similar dyes work best on cotton but with more time and strength they are somewhat effective on synthetic fabrics. However, buying camo bug netting is easier. But my main point is to stand back a foot or two and look through both camo and black. Black obstructs your view less. Ghillie net over tarp and everything if you really want to hide.
    But what is there to DIY in premade camo bug nets? :P I found that it really does not obstruct your view out from the hammock, or atleast much less than the original white one, and it does not bother me.

WP_20140711_004.jpg
    WP_20140711_002.jpg
    WP_20140711_022.jpg
    WP_20140711_016.jpg
    WP_20140711_029.jpg
    WP_20140711_031.jpg

Here's a couple of more photos from a week ago when I went for a little testing. I gotta get bigger camo net for the tarp. Now I just used random triangle pieces of basic cotton M05-camo fabrics to cover up the parts the small camo netting did not cover.

Also the positioning of the whole hammock setup was wrong. I should've set it up a lot lower, maybe in a small pit or something so that the tarp would've been lower. I like how the small A-sym tarp is easily covered with camouflaging material, much easier than a regular 3x3 m tarp.

Anyways, it was a lot of fun to test it out, gotta make some improvements.

Comments and critique is still very much desired!

I was thinking of a better way to camoflage the hammock setup when camping in forest. If I could find a small ditch with trees in just the right place so that the hammock would be at ground level or lower and the tarp would be just above it. Then it would have a really low silhuette, which combined with camonet over the tarp, it would be really effective way to hide yourself. I think I'll go looking for such place someday soon. One option would be to dig the ditch, but then you'd have to hide the showeled ground somewhere, maybe under a moss plate.

And BTW, does anyone know where I could buy camoflaged tarps? Preferably CADPAT (I know it's hard to find), MARPAT, M05, M90, Flectarn or some other woodland camo other than the US woodland or british DPM.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12