Hammock
    Dangerbird 68" Dig. Camo.
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Segmented Pad Extender

I purchased 2 EVA foam pads from "foamorder.com". The pads are 0.25" thick and 40" wide by 80" long. I plan to make segmented pad extenders out of these pads. The pads are just too big for backpacking but if made into SPE's, I can fold the "wings" in which will limit the width of the pad to the width of the "middle" pad. I plan to make the middle pad 24" wide and the side pads (wings) 8" wide. My hammock is a Dream Hammock double layer Dangerbird that is 68" wide. I sometimes use a 24" wide Therma-rest pad which is okay but moves around more than I like. I prefer the 40" wide pad but it is too wide for hiking.

I wonder why Speer doesn't make the SPE any longer, or anyone else for that matter. I have done some searching for SPE's and can find very little information about them. I am aware of Just Jeff's site that provides quite a bit of information on SPE's but I still can't understand why there isn't more information available than there is.

Before starting this project, I wanted to get some opinions on my approach or maybe some input on how to make the SPE's as good as they can be.

1) I plan to use black water resistant nylon. I thought that black would be a good color because it wouldn't show dirt as much as other colors. I may possibly use it on the ground if a I am in a spot that does not have hammock worthy trees. Does anyone have a good suggestion for a suitable material?
    2) Each "pocket" will be 0.5" wider than the pad. In other words the 24" wide pocket will be 24.5" x 80.5" x 0.50". The 8" wide pocket will be 8.5" x 80.5" x 0.50".
    3) I plan to use Velcro for one end of the pockets to allow the pads to be removed. Probably the foot end.
    4) I plan to use double stitching everywhere.
    5) My father is an upholsterer and has commercial sewing machines.

Anyone out there willing to provide me with some insight?

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Have fun! Making stuff is part of the journey. I know a bunch will chime in and tell you to get an UQ and forego the pads. I am not one of them. I use pads exclusively in the sub-zero temps. They are fantastic insulators, albeit bulky.

Anyway, back to your question. I am not sure you will need a water resistant material, nor do the pockets/sleeves need to have closures. I agree to double stitch everything. I would also make the dimensions of the sleeves with a little extra for ease of insertion and removal of the pads. Sounds like you don't have any, might be too tight a fit.

If the experiment goes south, you can use the material to make stuff sacks.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    SPE's popularity suffered with the popularity of UQ's. Too many advantages for most folks not to use an UQ.

That said, SPE's work well at adding warmth.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    ENO makes a HotSpot which is a copy of the SPE.......http://www.rei.com/product/830279/en...%7Cbing%7Cmain
    There you go.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dangerbird 68" Dig. Camo.
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Ductape, I agree that I won't need the water resistant fabric.

Shug, I am aware of the ENO Hotspot but my Therm-a-rests are 24" wide and 2" thick. I wanted the 2" thick pad before I discovered hammocks and was sleeping on the ground. Even though the Therm-a-rest pads are 24" wide, they still aren't wide enough when sleeping on the diagonal because they do shift around a bit through the night. I got the 0.25" thick 40" x 80" pads because they are much larger (wider) and lighter than the Therm-a-rest pads. I guess the question that needs to be asked is would I be better off making something similar to the Hotspot for my Therm-a-rests or make SPE's out of the EVA pads.

Funny Money, regarding under quilts, I wanted to use my EVA pads for temperatures that don't dictate a winter under quilt. That being said, I don't own an under quilt as of yet. I have been researching UQ's and plan to make this purchase in the near future. I am an assistant scout master and could always let scouts or other scout leaders use the SPE's though. When I buy an under quilt, I will probably purchase a zero degree UQ. I am assuming that a zero degree UQ wouldn't be too warm for 3 season temperatures?

Thanks guys!

• + New Posts