Too many to choose just one
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex or WP
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit 30* or
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood

Carabiner hitch suspension system

Well, I don't know what to call my new system, but maybe someone can think of a clever name. It's a combination of ideas that I got from altuistguy (single ring suspension) and redoleary (mini spreader bars).

I posted in the mini spreader thread, but I guess it's too old and not being viewed much.

So here is what I did and why;
    My BIAS WWM 11' x 60" is comfy, but I am very sensitive to any calf ridge, so I was thinking of going the mini-spreader bar route.
    I saw where someone had used a pear shaped carabiner through the end channel and then attached whoopies to the top of the pear. I combined the biner idea with the principles of the single ring suspension and this is what I got:
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404695123.100409.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1404695163.161638.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1404695189.268390.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1404695224.375193.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1404695234.824351.jpg

I have less calf ridge, the adjustment is a simple as a tug on the tag end (shorter) or a tug on the loop (longer), the ridgeline is easily threaded through the Amsteel, and the underquilt hangers work perfectly.
    The adjustment can also be done while still under the tarp since it is right at the end of the hammock and the carabiner will serve as a drip ring.

Any comments or reasons this won't hold up to the test of time?
    Last edited by Foxpoop; 07-06-2014 at 20:32.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Interesting, I would have trouble getting it undone, when the time came. I guess I am a worry wort, I am wondering what the Engineers in the group would have to say about the stress on the carabiner being used that way you have.

I do like the idea of thinking outside of the box, trying new ways of doing things is always a fun challenge, plus sometime excellent methods are learned.

I am going to follow your thread, I am very interested in what the others have to say. Thank you for posting your idea.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex or WP
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit 30* or
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood
    Yes, it takes about a minute to undo each end, but I don't wash my hammock often, so not a big deal to me. Another advantage is that I can hang in a really, really short span; like 2 feet total longer than my ridgeline. Which reminds me, I did have to make a new ridgeline about 4" longer than the one I used when gathering the hammock with Amsteel through the channels. New ridgeline is 115".

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex or WP
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit 30* or
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood
    Quote Originally Posted by IRONFISH45 View Post
    Interesting, I would have trouble getting it undone, when the time came. I guess I am a worry wort, I am wondering what the Engineers in the group would have to say about the stress on the carabiner being used that way you have.

I do like the idea of thinking outside of the box, trying new ways of doing things is always a fun challenge, plus sometime excellent methods are learned.

I am going to follow your thread, I am very interested in what the others have to say. Thank you for posting your idea.
    Thanks for the response. I'm not sure if you are thinking that it needs to be undone every time. I plan on leaving it setup all the time and just taking the loop off of the MSH or however I have my tree straps set up.

The carabiner with the Amsteel hitch will hold its shape evern when stuffed back in the stuff sack. The tension on the loops (under/over/under) actuall causes the system to "set". It's kind of like a prusik. When you tighten a prusik you have to put some force on it to move it again. Same thing here.

BTW, I used 1/8" Amsteel instead of 7/64" just for added peace of mind. I did the same thing when using SMC descender rings on my single ring suspension rigs.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex or WP
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit 30* or
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood
    Here are some pics in the hammock. Pretty flat lay.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Interesting. A bit heavy but I see the point. Nice job.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex or WP
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit 30* or
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    Interesting. A bit heavy but I see the point. Nice job.
    Yes, it adds some weight which will be a deal breaker for the gram weenies. I'm 6"3" 225#, so I will take a fee more ounces for the extra comfort.

Hammock
    GT Double
    Tarp
    DIY Painters 4mil
    Suspension
    Straps Whoopie MSH
    Interesting - how does it work out with rain - any running onto the hammock?

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex or WP
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit 30* or
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood
    Haven't had it in the rain, yet. It is very similar to the system I used to use (single ring suspension) and that system had no issues with rain siphoning down to the hammock because the ring acted as a rain break/drip line. I am pretty sure that the open spots in the carabiner where there is no Amsteel touching it will act as my rain break. Of course the fact that the carabiner is completely under my tarp is a good thing, too.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex or WP
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit 30* or
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood
    UPDATE: don't try this, I inspected the hammock today and I have small tears in the fabric just below each end channel. I am going to have to scrap the hammock. It's a sad day.

• + New Posts