HELP!! DIY Hammock W/ Velcro bottom entrance

Hello i am a newbie to this diy hammock stuff, so i am asking anyone for helps tips and advice

I just purchased 4.5 YDS of 200D Woodland Camo Oxford nylon and i was wondering, will this fabric support an adult that is 200lbs??

I will be making an Asym hammock with bug net, however i want mine to have a bottom velcro entrance, but i do not know how to do this.
    I have searched many threads and googled like crazy...
    Can any one show/tell me in detail, pics, video, or send me a link to existing threads...

Any help is greatly appreciated thanx a ton and have a elevated day

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    The concept is very simple. I have added a bottom entry to a DIY hammock albeit unsuccessfully. You cut a slit from the end to the stopping point. Easy peasy. Now comes the part that Hennessy spent a long time perfecting. It has to be properly and carefully reinforced and of sufficient length to allow entry but not so long as to open under butt pressure. I can"t provide much guidance on those areas because that's where my attempts failed. I even tried taking measurements of an HH hammock to follow. I guess the question is "Why do do you want a bottom entry?" Most people avidly dislike them. I need it because of mobility issues. But in all honesty... I would say watch for the classic Hennessy to go on sale or show up in the fore sale forum... It happens fairly frequently. Otherwise... follow the crowd and go with a side or top loader and save your self considerable hassle.

As far as loading... 200D fabric should hold a small pickup truck so I would say you are good to go from that aspect.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Thanx for the reply..
    I guess the main reason I was attracted to the Velcro opening was because I liked the idea of hanging your boots on the ridgeline and through the bottom entry. Seems like a fast convinient way to hang your dirty boots....
    Wow! I was very skeptically about the 200D, because on the hennessy website they have their scout model labled as 200D fabric

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Carloskaaos View Post
    Thanx for the reply..
    I guess the main reason I was attracted to the Velcro opening was because I liked the idea of hanging your boots on the ridgeline and through the bottom entry. Seems like a fast convinient way to hang your dirty boots....
    Wow! I was very skeptically about the 200D, because on the hennessy website they have their scout model labled as 200D fabric
    It's great if you don't mind whacking you head on the darn things. That's my only frustration with the bottom entry. I've started keeping my slippers in the hammock for the midnight strolls and leaving my boots on the ground. I use a bottom entry for mobility issues. If I had my druthers I would probably go with a side entry myself.

The weight limit posted on the HH site for the scout is 150. I think that represents two different issues totally unrelated to the hammock material. The suspension is listed at 1200# rope. Given a normal 5/1 safety ratio that brings the recommended load down to just over 200. The second issue is size. The scout is a small hammock and I suspect 150 is about the most in terms of height the hammock is suited for. If you look at the expedition with a weight of 250 the suspension has been moved up to 1600# rope. Since many of us use suspension materials rated at 2500-3500# the fabric is not the only thing that determines the weight load for the hammock.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Eno Sub7
    Tarp
    HG Hex with Doors
    Insulation
    3/4 UQ/TQ CCF Pad
    Suspension
    UCR Marlin Spike
    Quote Originally Posted by Carloskaaos View Post
    Hello i am a newbie to this diy hammock stuff, so i am asking anyone for helps tips and advice

I just purchased 4.5 YDS of 200D Woodland Camo Oxford nylon and i was wondering, will this fabric support an adult that is 200lbs??

I will be making an Asym hammock with bug net, however i want mine to have a bottom velcro entrance, but i do not know how to do this.
    I have searched many threads and googled like crazy...
    Can any one show/tell me in detail, pics, video, or send me a link to existing threads...

Any help is greatly appreciated thanx a ton and have a elevated day

Don't Know if this is any help to you but i have an hh ultralight asym zip and i can still hang my trail runners (boots are too heavy and too much extra work if your on trail anyways) off the ridge line. The main difference is you have to put it near the end (usually above my head) of your hammock so the zipper is close to the ridge line. My trail runners still end up under the rain-fly as well as under the hammock, i will also hang my rain jacket over the top of them if its too wet to put somewhere else.

• + New Posts