I was one of the lucky recipients of the new 1800 mm head silnylon from Kyle at Ripstopbytheroll. He sent me nine yards of crimson silnylon, and my intention was to make a winter tarp using diygearsupply's plan. The more I looked at that plan, the more I said, "Screw that!" I'm a one-eyed man, and can't see too well out of the other. Having never made a tarp, that was too much for me. So I switched to Fronkey's DIY tarp instructions.
So I laid out a plastic drop cloth in my living room (it's been vacant since Hurricane Sandy) and went to work. Rather than make a wooden template for the cat cuts, I made a cardboard one. Eye fatigue (and fatigue in general) made me take a lot of breaks. I finally got the fabric laid out, marked and cut around 10 pm. tonight.
Next up, sewing the ridgeline. I pinned it (may regret that later). So I loaded the bobbin with my thread of choice but it just kept bunching up. I couldn't understand why it was bunching up tonight 'cause it wasn't bunching up the other night when I made a hammock. After a couple of hours, I realized that the thread was much thicker than any I had heretofore used. So I switched to a thinner poly thread and just finished sewing the ridgeline.
Tomorrow I'll hem the entire tarp. Diygearsupply is out of D-rings right now, so I may order titanium D-rings from Dutch (he ships fast). With my sewing skills, it''ll be like lipstick on a pig, but you can never have enough Dutch bling. I'm gonna order some Silnet too, to seam the ridgeline. Hopefully, everything will be here early this week so I can take it on our 1st Annual Blueberry Hang in the Pine Barrens this weekend.
I have a matching crimson hammock, with red Amsteel continuous loops. I should make quite the fashion statement!
Pics (assiduously avoiding any close-ups of the straightness of my stitching) to come!