Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images

First DIY Tarp - Courtesy of Ripstopbytheroll

I was one of the lucky recipients of the new 1800 mm head silnylon from Kyle at Ripstopbytheroll. He sent me nine yards of crimson silnylon, and my intention was to make a winter tarp using diygearsupply's plan. The more I looked at that plan, the more I said, "Screw that!" I'm a one-eyed man, and can't see too well out of the other. Having never made a tarp, that was too much for me. So I switched to Fronkey's DIY tarp instructions.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...a-Hammock-Tarp

So I laid out a plastic drop cloth in my living room (it's been vacant since Hurricane Sandy) and went to work. Rather than make a wooden template for the cat cuts, I made a cardboard one. Eye fatigue (and fatigue in general) made me take a lot of breaks. I finally got the fabric laid out, marked and cut around 10 pm. tonight.

Next up, sewing the ridgeline. I pinned it (may regret that later). So I loaded the bobbin with my thread of choice but it just kept bunching up. I couldn't understand why it was bunching up tonight 'cause it wasn't bunching up the other night when I made a hammock. After a couple of hours, I realized that the thread was much thicker than any I had heretofore used. So I switched to a thinner poly thread and just finished sewing the ridgeline.

Tomorrow I'll hem the entire tarp. Diygearsupply is out of D-rings right now, so I may order titanium D-rings from Dutch (he ships fast). With my sewing skills, it''ll be like lipstick on a pig, but you can never have enough Dutch bling. I'm gonna order some Silnet too, to seam the ridgeline. Hopefully, everything will be here early this week so I can take it on our 1st Annual Blueberry Hang in the Pine Barrens this weekend.

I have a matching crimson hammock, with red Amsteel continuous loops. I should make quite the fashion statement!

Pics (assiduously avoiding any close-ups of the straightness of my stitching) to come!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Okay, just one pic of my astounding sewing. Remember, I'm a one-eyed old fart!

I'm glad I switched to grey thread. I was previously considering crimson thread, but there's no darned contrast for blind folks. I can see what I'm doing a lot better with the grey thread.

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Straight schmaight... you stayed on the seam. That's more than I could do. Looking forward to a pic with the tarp & hammock setup.

Hammock
    11' Mutton Chop
    Tarp
    Camo Cuben Palace
    Insulation
    Loco Libre!
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    Is that the AT you stitched there?
    perrito

"If a man speaks in the woods, and there is no woman there to hear, is he still wrong?"

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    DIY
    Images
    Hey SS, I have lots of 3/4" D-rings and triangles from Quest if you need them. Let me know and I'll send them free.

Hammock
    Tinkr Custom, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    EE RevX, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware, Trees
    Images
    Nice SS! - gives hope to those of us w/o sewing skills. Makes me want to steal Tinkr's new thread injector
    see you on the trail,
    Mike

#optoutside

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Okay, just one pic of my astounding sewing. Remember, I'm a one-eyed old fart!

I'm glad I switched to grey thread. I was previously considering crimson thread, but there's no darned contrast for blind folks. I can see what I'm doing a lot better with the grey thread.
    Looks straight to me......
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

No one will notice the sewing when you have the "red storm" hammock setup all together!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Had to abandon the flat-felled ridgeline seam - that's just beyond my capabilities. I went with the flat-felled/French Seam (hybrid) from diygearsupply - much easier for a sewing moron (and that wasn't too easy either). This tarp is killing me!

Tomorrow I put a hem around the tarp, maybe put on the grosgrain reinforcements. The Dutch Titanium D-Rings should be here Wednesday or Thursday, along with my Silnet from Amazon.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Had to abandon the flat-felled ridgeline seam - that's just beyond my capabilities. I went with the flat-felled/French Seam (hybrid) from diygearsupply - much easier for a sewing moron (and that wasn't too easy either). This tarp is killing me!

Tomorrow I put a hem around the tarp, maybe put on the grosgrain reinforcements. The Dutch Titanium D-Rings should be here Wednesday or Thursday, along with my Silnet from Amazon.
    Don't forget pictures!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast