Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    WBBB & FreeBird
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    Incubator & FJ

Old Loggers Path Questions

I am looking to do the Old Loggers Path loop hike in Pa and had a couple of questions. I am looking to start the hike late afternoon of August 1st and finish on August 3rd before noon. I am capable of doing 20 mile days but I am not looking to hike that fast on this hike. I am more interested in doing a gear shakedown hike before a weeklong trip that I am doing at the end of August. I will have a new tarp and hammock to try out and prefer to do that on a shorter and easier trip and work the bugs out then rather on the longer trip.

The questions that I have are:

Which direction do you recommend hiking? I heard that camping spots are a little less crowded going counter clockwise.

Do you have to camp in designated areas or can you hang anywhere along the trail?

Can I expect dry sections of the trail that may not have water at the beginning of August? If so what might those areas be?

What is the best place to park while hiking?

Those are my main questions but feel free to give me input on anything that may be of interest that I have not asked.

Hammock
    WBBB & FreeBird
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    Incubator & FJ
    Well I guess no one has any experience with the Old Loggers Path. I guess I will look up what I can on the web.

Hammock
    Tinkr Custom, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    EE RevX, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware, Trees
    Images
    I have done the OLP a couple of times. It a really great trail and I highly recommend it (this trail was recommended to me by EagleEye - think it was one of his favorite hikes in PA). Here's what I can tell you:

Which direction do you recommend hiking? I heard that camping spots are a little less crowded going counter clockwise. either direction is great - There are plenty of established camping spots on the trail and if your using a hammock plenty of stealth sites too. I would highly recommend planning so you can camp at rock run / yellow dog run. I have a trip report on this site that has pictures - it's overused but still a special spot especially when warm enough to swim.

Do you have to camp in designated areas or can you hang anywhere along the trail? The OLP is in the Loyalsock State Forest. I believe that you can camp anywhere without a permit as long as you are no closer than 25' to the trail and stay in one spot only one night.

Can I expect dry sections of the trail that may not have water at the beginning of August? If so what might those areas be? Water's not much of an issue with rock run and pleasant stream both there. Just be aware where it is and plan accordingly - both those sources flow year-round

What is the best place to park while hiking? Masten - just bring some mothballs - I had a porcupine do some damage to my cars wiring there by chewing on it. Also I heard the bridge that was out is back in service.

Those are my main questions but feel free to give me input on anything that may be of interest that I have not asked. Check out Yooz85's video trip report on this site. Also I believe mid-atlantic hikes has some nice maps on this trail.
    Last edited by Black Foot; 07-11-2014 at 16:48.
    see you on the trail,
    Mike

#optoutside

Hammock
    HH/SLD/GTUL/DH
    Tarp
    WL BD/MLD UL/OES
    Insulation
    te-wa/KAQ/WL/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I love the old loggers path, I always go counter clock wise and try to camp by rock run on my first night if I can. I believe camping anywhere along the trail is fine, but I'm not 100% positive. I never had a problem with water along the trail either, seem like every few miles I find a place to fill up. Also I have only ever parked in Masten and never had a problem, they fixed the bridge there so getting there is a bit easier. Hope this helps! When are you planning on going?

check out my youtube channel! Trip Reports and hammock talk. - Creekcrossings Youtube channel

My Blog - Creekcrossings blog

Also check out my Facebook page! - Creekcrossings Facebook page

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    I haven't done it yet, but it's on my short list. Here's some links to get you started:

http://midatlantichikes.com/oldloggerspath.htm

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry...path/index.htm

There's also a great section on it in the book "Backpacking Pennsylvania" by Jeff Mitchell.

If you go counter clockwise, then the first day you can hike around 6 miles to the area down by Rock Run. Next day hike 10 or so miles to camp sites by Pleasant Stream, and the final day it's 10 miles or so back out to Masten. 2 nights, 2 and a half days. At least that's what made sense to me in preliminary planning. YMMV.

Good luck!

Hammock
    HH/SLD/GTUL/DH
    Tarp
    WL BD/MLD UL/OES
    Insulation
    te-wa/KAQ/WL/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Mike is always one step ahead of me, on the trail and with trail info lol. Thanks for the plug!
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Foot View Post
    I have done the OLP a couple of times. It a really great trail and I highly recommend it (this trail was recommended to me by EagleEye - think it was one of his favorite hikes in PA). Here's what I can tell you:

Which direction do you recommend hiking? I heard that camping spots are a little less crowded going counter clockwise. either direction is great - There are plenty of established camping spots on the trail and if your using a hammock plenty of stealth sites too. I would highly recommend planning so you can camp at rock run / yellow dog run. I have a trip report on this site that has pictures - it's overused by still a special spot especially when warm enough to swim.

Do you have to camp in designated areas or can you hang anywhere along the trail? The OLP is in the Loyalsock State Forest. I believe that you can camp anywhere without a permit as long as you are no closer than 25' to the trail and stay in one spot only one night.

Can I expect dry sections of the trail that may not have water at the beginning of August? If so what might those areas be? Water's not much of an issue with rock run and pleasant stream both there. Just be aware where it is and plan accordingly - both those sources flow year-round

What is the best place to park while hiking? Masten - just bring some mothballs - I had a porcupine do some damage to my cars wiring there by chewing on it. Also I heard the bridge that was out is back in service.

Those are my main questions but feel free to give me input on anything that may be of interest that I have not asked. Check out Yooz85's video trip report on this site. Also I believe mid-atlantic hikes has some nice maps on this trail.
    check out my youtube channel! Trip Reports and hammock talk. - Creekcrossings Youtube channel

My Blog - Creekcrossings blog

Also check out my Facebook page! - Creekcrossings Facebook page

Hammock
    Tinkr Custom, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    EE RevX, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware, Trees
    Images
    Ha! I can't keep up with Ian - he's a hiking machine - my main talent is eating Pizza.

Here's couple of pics from the OLP to get you motivated IHang:

DSCN0308.jpg

DSCN0293.jpg

DSCN0297.jpg
    see you on the trail,
    Mike

#optoutside

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Also, if you do a search on the forums for it, there is a trip report with pics from when Knotty did it a while back with his daughter, as well as a fairly detailed trip report from NJ member Iafte.

Here's a search link: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...earchid=740719

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Foot View Post
    Ha! I can't keep up with Ian - he's a hiking machine - my main talent is eating Pizza.

Here's couple of pics to get you motivated IHang:

DSCN0308.jpg

DSCN0293.jpg

DSCN0297.jpg
    Hah! Tinkr looks like a wee little lad in that picture.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Its a good hike. Nice spots to camp all along it, especially with a hammock you have more options. Start/end at Masten like others have said. Go either direction... just go hike it. Have fun!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast