Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need help with a threaded metal stand

Hey Guys/Gals,

Im new here and was hoping for some help if possible. I will be heading on a camping trip at the end of the month to a beach location with little to no trees that are spaced to hang a hammock normally and so I was looking to build a portable stand. I decided on the threaded pipe stand (photo attached from Derek Hansen at theultimatehang.com) as it seems sturdy and can be broken down to a small size, as well as because I will be mostly on sand so it will be difficult to anchor another type of stand. Both sturdy and compact are key features as I am 6' 280lbs (needs to be strong) and drive a Mini Cooper (so small is good). The current dementions of the stand are 6ft high by 12ft long. I was wondering if anyone had any insight on whether it would be possible to shorten up the measurements somewhat and still have a stand that will work properly?

My hammock is a Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter Pro that is 10' 6" in length. I was hoping to shorten the poles up as much as possible so that they could fit into my car easier for travel. If I could keep the longest poles to 5ft max then that would be awesome but not sure if its possible. That would leave the stand at 10ft long and 5ft high. I ran the numbers through a hammock hang app on my phone (also from Derek Hansen at theultimatehang.com, thanks a bunch Derek!) and it seems like it should work. I attached a screen shot of the calculations for everyone to view and see if they have any issues with it. I appreciate any help or ideas anyone has before I actually construct the stand so I don't waste a ton of money on materials (galvanized steel can be expensive) and have it collapse or see me crash to the sand in front of all my camping buddies. Thanks in advance for any advice or ideas!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I thought about making this stand but went for conduit instead. I would think as long as you didn't cut the pipe it would be returnable. Some home depots have more pipe sizes than others but I think you could find enough pieces pre cut to try it. On the top corners I would be tempted to use a T instead of an elbow as it would be easier to attach to.

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Jus get 3 pipes 4' long for the top rail. Or4 pipes 3' long. You will just need to add a coupler. You can make it break down as short as you want to.

I wouldn't go shorter than my tarp is long. My tarps are all 11' and need at least 12' to be hung.

Would the couplers keep enough strength to keep the pipe from bending or breaking? I was thinking of using 3 4ft sections on top with 2 couplers and 2 3ft sections with a coupler on each end. Do you guys think this will still support my considerable mass and not collapse and kill me in the night?

The two vertical pipes can also be in two or more pieces, so you could have 6' or taller, and still have packable lengths. My 2cents, if the top rail will accommodate one coupler, then it will accommodate two or three as well, and still function well.
    If you prepare for failure you will probably succeed.

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by TPuckhead16 View Post
    Would the couplers keep enough strength to keep the pipe from bending or breaking? I was thinking of using 3 4ft sections on top with 2 couplers and 2 3ft sections with a coupler on each end. Do you guys think this will still support my considerable mass and not collapse and kill me in the night?
    As long as you screw the pipe into the couplers tight, I don't think you will have a problem. Mine uses two 6' pieces and one 18". Haven't used it often but no failures when I did.

Hammock
    Brazilian Organic Merlot Family
    @Nodust...So, is that 6ft + 6ft + 18in for top and both sides?

@TPuckhead16...So, have you tried it and if so, has it held up?

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by @Diagonal View Post
    @Nodust...So, is that 6ft + 6ft + 18in for top and both sides?

@TPuckhead16...So, have you tried it and if so, has it held up?
    The top bar is two 6' and one 18" section.

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Nodust View Post
    The top bar is two 6' and one 18" section.
    The 18" was just so it would fit the base I had already.

Hammock
    Brazilian Organic Merlot Family
    @Nodust...What's the longest hammock you've hung on your stand and what type of hammock was it; e.g. Mayan, Brazilian...? I have a 14-foot Brazilian hammock that bottoms out on my Vario stand. The arms on the stand are fully extended (57-inches in height), and the length from arm tip to arm tip is 13 feet. I can extend the base maybe another 4 - 6 inches, but I don't think that's going to get the Brazilian hammock off the ground. I was wondering if the pipe stand might work, but maybe make it 13 feet long and 6.5 feet high. Otherwise, I either need to hang from the walls or maybe purchase double size Brazilian hammocks and try to sell the two larger Brazilian hammocks I currently have.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast