Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Need help with a threaded metal stand

Hey Guys/Gals,

Im new here and was hoping for some help if possible. I will be heading on a camping trip at the end of the month to a beach location with little to no trees that are spaced to hang a hammock normally and so I was looking to build a portable stand. I decided on the threaded pipe stand (photo attached from Derek Hansen at theultimatehang.com) as it seems sturdy and can be broken down to a small size, as well as because I will be mostly on sand so it will be difficult to anchor another type of stand. Both sturdy and compact are key features as I am 6' 280lbs (needs to be strong) and drive a Mini Cooper (so small is good). The current dementions of the stand are 6ft high by 12ft long. I was wondering if anyone had any insight on whether it would be possible to shorten up the measurements somewhat and still have a stand that will work properly?

My hammock is a Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter Pro that is 10' 6" in length. I was hoping to shorten the poles up as much as possible so that they could fit into my car easier for travel. If I could keep the longest poles to 5ft max then that would be awesome but not sure if its possible. That would leave the stand at 10ft long and 5ft high. I ran the numbers through a hammock hang app on my phone (also from Derek Hansen at theultimatehang.com, thanks a bunch Derek!) and it seems like it should work. I attached a screen shot of the calculations for everyone to view and see if they have any issues with it. I appreciate any help or ideas anyone has before I actually construct the stand so I don't waste a ton of money on materials (galvanized steel can be expensive) and have it collapse or see me crash to the sand in front of all my camping buddies. Thanks in advance for any advice or ideas!
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts