Dream Hammock Sparrow Dragon
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Dutch Woppie Hooks

20 and 0 degree HG Burrow

What are the normal ranges for these two different quilts? What I mean is, the 20 degree is good for blank to 20 degrees and the 0 degree is good from blank to 0 degrees.

Thanks Pete

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    Really subjective.. I like to be toasty, so my o degree comes out at mid to low 30s.. I have a 30 degree I use in between that.. (warmer)
    We would be one step closer to world peace, if everyone slept in a hammock..

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    I like to have a 5-10* buffer from what is forecast. I have been out where the weather ends up being 10-12* colder in the woods than what was forecast. Most forecasts are for the city/town closest to the woods where you're camping which tend to be a bit warmer than the woods due to the "urban footprint".

I have a 40* top and bottom quilt setup for 45-50* forecast and above. I had a 0* top and bottom setup for 5-45* but I wasn't doing enough cold weather camping to warrant keeping the setup so now have a 20* top and bottom quilt setup for 25-45*.

Have taken both quilt sets to their limits and they have performed fine but it's always nice to have that buffer. For a couple extra ounces of down, it's worth it IMHO.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    My zero had to go from teens to 50s for lows on one trip. I would not have taken the zero for 50s if I was not out for days at a time, but I was certainly not miserable with the zero at 55. Went to sleep on top of it, quickly was under it, and vented in and out through the night. My engine does not run hot, so that works for me. But I can't imagine being overly hot in a zero with temps in the 30s, or even low 40s.

The only negative about my zero is that the additional loft of it ends up in my face if I've got the neck snapped and cinched around me.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    BMBH
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ + UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    I'm curious about this too. I am a very cold sleeper. I haven't ordered my burrow 0 degree yet, but plan to in the fall. My "plan" is to use the DD Hammock under quilt (rated around 23 degrees F) in combination with the top quilt (burrow 0 degree) and a reflective pad (auto sun shade) between the two waterproof layer in my DD Travel hammock. If all that (plus clothing) doesn't keep me warm, I'm going to the ground and using my hammock as a bivvy.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cdnunn01 View Post
    I'm curious about this too. I am a very cold sleeper. I haven't ordered my burrow 0 degree yet, but plan to in the fall. My "plan" is to use the DD Hammock under quilt (rated around 23 degrees F) in combination with the top quilt (burrow 0 degree) and a reflective pad (auto sun shade) between the two waterproof layer in my DD Travel hammock. If all that (plus clothing) doesn't keep me warm, I'm going to the ground and using my hammock as a bivvy.
    Careful with the sunshade. I love taking a small piece on every trip "just in case" but it can cause a lot of condensation since it obviously doesn't breathe at all. Too bad, since they weigh nothing, take up little space and work great! Other times, I used it with no condensation whatsoever - just depends on the temperature and other weather conditions, and where you put (under body, between layers, etc)

I also find the top quilt to be much less important than the bottom. The top can easily be supplemented with loose clothing or a down jacket...but bottom is another story.

Hammock
    BMBH
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ + UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Thanks for the tip! I did plan on using it between my two waterproof layers in hopes that that would eliminate the condensation. We shall see though.
    Black Raven Survival YouTube Page

Gear Reviews, DIY Tutorials, Trip Reports, Homesteading, Survivalism, Bushcraft, Firearms, Prepping, Hiking, Camping

Hammock
    DIY 12' PolyD
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10 silArgon
    Insulation
    HG 0º UQ / 20º TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    So, my question is this: I am in the market for both a top and under quilt. Which is the most important as far as staying warm? Can I skimp on one and increase the rating on another? Which would be better in extremely cold temperatures is I had to go to the ground?

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Quote Originally Posted by SirMarkos View Post
    So, my question is this: I am in the market for both a top and under quilt. Which is the most important as far as staying warm? Can I skimp on one and increase the rating on another? Which would be better in extremely cold temperatures is I had to go to the ground?
    If you search around, there are dozens of threads on this.

The consensus is - you sleep on the same bed all year round but you use a sheet in the summer and a blanket in the winter.

If you can, get a beefier UQ and you can stretch it from colder temps to warmer temps.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl & XLC
    Tarp
    Big MJ & Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti & 2 Wookies
    Suspension
    Stock straps
    Images
    Well stated, Tendertoe

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast