Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ Underquilt
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle

Where can I buy Climashield Apex in Canada (For DIY UQ/TQ)

I would like to try my hand at making a UQ/TQ combo with some Climashield Apex 6oz for my HH Explorer Deluxe.

To save costs I'm looking for a retailer in Canada that I can order some from (Bonus if I can also order some ripstop from them as well)

So far my Googling has failed at this so I'm hoping someone here might have some suggestions!

Thank you.
    Last edited by OPineault; 07-08-2014 at 10:12.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    As far as I know there is no place in Canada that retails Climashield. Ripstop and Sil are also hard to come by. I gave up on Fabricland as being totally useless. Fabricland had 2nds of ripstop at $15.00 a metre as opposed to firsts at $3.95/yd US.

Because I had the time, I spent a whole lot of hours researching fabric sourcing BEFORE I started my complete DIY kit - I made everything, hammock, tarp, quilts, my pants, compression sacks, my first backpack, you name it!

The best way to do it is to order from one supplier as you can because the shipping becomes more cost effective the larger the shipment. I suggest DIYGearSupply because you should be able to get everything you need (except Dutchs' trinkets and spreader bars for a bridge hammock). Also, Scott charges exactly what it costs in shipping, not an inflated figure like some suppliers. It's also important to use a supplier that will ship USPS (not courier like UPS), that way there's no border brokerage fees and no HST.

If you order from DIYGearSupply, you need to use the shopping cart and then cut and paste to an email. The shipping charge calculator is way off, do not use it. Scott will email you on the correct shipping charges.

The only other choice that I've used is to have shipments sent to a KinekPoint outlet stateside. I did this for a couple of larger purchases that were coming in by courier. One item that would have cost me $89 US to ship to me plus brokerage fees and HST cost me $15.00 US in shipping charges and $5.00 to KinekPoint. I camped for a weekend and brought it back duty free. I figure with 2 packages coming in, gas & camping fees in the Adirondacks for the weekend and a cross-border shopping trip, I came out ahead!! And I got a weekend camping out of it...not a bad deal at all!!

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ Underquilt
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Thanks for the reply and the tips.

I just checked out DIYGearSupply but I did not find Climashield on the site, only Insultex.
    Would it be comparable?

Hammock
    BIAS DL WW
    Personally if I'm ordering from somewhere in the states, I live close enough to the border that I can send it to a parcel pickup service, and then just walk across and pick it up. Costs me $3CAD at the pickup place, but I usually don't have to pay duty on the way back, depending on the cost of the item(s).

Probably doesn't help you much though.
    "A poet is a person who walks around in a thunderstorm waiting to get hit by lightning."

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    Quote Originally Posted by OPineault View Post
    Thanks for the reply and the tips.

I just checked out DIYGearSupply but I did not find Climashield on the site, only Insultex.
    Would it be comparable?
    You're right, it's been over a year since I did all the gear making.

I ended up bringing everything BUT the climashield and my spreader bars in from DIYGear. The climashield came in from Thru-Hiker and the shipping charges darn near beat me up but I had no choice.

As noted on Scott's website, the Insultex has a vapour barrier quality to it that you probably don't want for a TQ. IIRC it also has a different R value so the volume and weight will be different to get comparable warmth.

I wonder how much arm-twisting it would take to get Scott to carry Climashield...lol.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ Underquilt
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    If there's no known source in Canada, then what would be a recommended site to order some Climashield Apex at a decent price? (You mentioned Thru-Hiker had high shipping cost)

Or if anyone has any recommended alternatives to the Climashield.

Honestly, I don't expect to do any winter camping with my Hammock, so it would only be for 3 season.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    Primaloft may be available in Canada but it should be noted that there are significant differences between Primaloft and Climashield.

Aside from different R values for each and differences between different grades of Primaloft, Climashield doesn't need to be quilted whereas Primaloft needs to be quilted every 3 to 6 ". This may or may not make a difference to you in designing and making your quilts.

With Climashield you can sew it into the seam and be done. I like to top stitch it as well but that's me and my over-engineered self!!

There's an invaluable stickie in the general forums here that's a Hammock Manufacturers Directory. It also includes a column on DIY supplies. IIWM, I'd check out the links, find who has it and price it out including shipping.

I went back into my spreadsheet that I used for sourcing and didn't find any notes on another supplier for Climashield but I'm not sure why at this point....maybe couldn't find anyone, maybe higher price...who knows.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ Underquilt
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    I checked out Thru-Hiker and they have some bundles available with climashield to make quilts:
    http://thru-hiker.com/kits/apex_quilt_kit.php

I'm considering getting two of these bundles for a TQ/UQ set. (the cheapest with 5.0 climashield):

5.0 oz Apex Quilt Materials: Pertex Eco Shell and M90T Liner- $69.95
    Includes 2.5 yds of Pertex Eco, 2.5 yds M90T, and 2.5 yds of 5.0 oz Climashield.

I'm not familiar with these fabrics though so I don't know which one is suppose to go against the hammock and which is the outer layer, etc.

I'm guessing the 1 layer of 5.0 CS Apex would be sufficient for 3 season quilts?

As was mentioned earlier it seems their way of doing shipping charges is to initially overcharge for shipping and then refund the difference. (This is indicated on their website)

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    where is says liner, is it a sewn liner with one end open?, what exactly is it? there are no pics and i have never used this site before and i want to make a couple of uq's,, anyone ever buy these?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast