Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Another Swing at a Dead Horse -- Single Layer and Mosquitoes in the Desert

Hi All,

So I have read all there is to read on this, but I just wanted to get some input specific to my situation. I am new to hammocking. Up until now, I've just been playing with an ENO hammock. However, I just had a birthday and ordered myself a Roaming Gnome from Papa Smurf. I sew cycling gear, and contemplated a DIY setup, but I was really impressed with the craftsmanship that I've seen in his hammocks, so I figured I would go with the real deal, and then I can make my own based on that later.

Here are the specs before I get to the question:
    Roaming Gnome
    11 ft
    Single Layer 2.7 oz Marpat (wide as fabric allows)
    Cinch Buckles

So here is the rub: I live in AZ and plan on using the hammock for hot, summer bikepacking trips. I went with the single layer because I want as much air flow and breathability as possible. I have read that the 2.7 oz Marpat has a really nice hand, and as I am 6'1" and 200 lbs, I wanted the support it offers. My main concern in terms of bugs are scorpions and kissing bugs, which we have in abundance down here (and if you haven't heard of Chaga's Disease and the kissing bug, google it). However, there seems to be a lot of people convinced that mosquitoes can bite through a single layer. I'm skeptical about this, as I have never been bit through clothing, and frankly, we don't have much water, let alone mosquitoes down here in the desert.

So (finally), here is my question: Is there really any need in my situation to have a double layer? Would a double layer make the hammock hotter (which I am trying to avoid)?

Thanks for your input.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Insects can and do bite through fabric, and i have my doubts that a second layer of thin nylon will deter them. Permethrin, however, will. Dip, and sleep well.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    GT Double
    Tarp
    DIY Painters 4mil
    Suspension
    Straps Whoopie MSH
    Bugnet - you'll want a bugnet to keep critters away. THe double layer won't help a bit - found that out the hard way.

Hammock
    Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    Insects can and do bite through fabric, and i have my doubts that a second layer of thin nylon will deter them. Permethrin, however, will. Dip, and sleep well.
    This exactly! I spray mine down and have not had any issue even when mosquitoes were abundant.

Hammock
    GT Double
    Tarp
    DIY Painters 4mil
    Suspension
    Straps Whoopie MSH
    Does anyone have a link to a thread on how to dip (solution %, methods)?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I don't dip. I spray. Get a $5 garden sprayer, Martin's 10 percent permethrin, follow instructions. Easy peasy.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Ok. I'm not a fan of chemicals, but permethrin seams to be fairly safe for people. I guess if it's on the outside, and I'm sleeping in clothes, then there really won't be a chance for absorption through the skin...I hope. Any idea how long it lasts? The EPA site says it degrades rapidly from UV exposure...Any thoughts on that?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayduke Deckard View Post
    Ok. I'm not a fan of chemicals, but permethrin seams to be fairly safe for people. I guess if it's on the outside, and I'm sleeping in clothes, then there really won't be a chance for absorption through the skin...I hope. Any idea how long it lasts? The EPA site says it degrades rapidly from UV exposure...Any thoughts on that?
    The Sawyers brand, a bit more expensive but also designed specifically for clothing and having no odor, claims to last for 6 weeks and 6 washes. I suspect this is fairly accurate. You can probably find it close by at places like Walmart(sometimes or a similar brand) or ****'s Sporting goods. Or order online. Spray or dip versions available, both work great.
    http://www.campmor.com/sawyer-24-oz-...Fcvm7AodmDcAGA

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...sl_leyi2taoq_b

http://www.rei.com/b/sawyer/c/insect...Fcnm7AodSkYANw

LOL! The censor blocked D*c*'s sporting goods!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I don't buy the Sawyer's 'cause a) it's expensive and b) "designed specifically for clothing" sounds like hogwash to me. I also don't see anything scientific substantiating "six weeks or six washings." Permethrin is permethrin, and if you can't tell me what you're doing to it to make it last longer, it's marketing.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Sawyer's...
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast