Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Underquilt cost.

Is it just me or do you find the cost of under quilts outrageous. Nearly every underquilt besides DIY seems to cost at least twice what a good basic hammock setup cost. To me it's like putting $1000 tires on a $100 car. It just seems backwards. I plan on trying a DIY poncho setup. Although I may realize why the cost is so high after my attempt.

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    HG 20* Incu/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    have you tried to buy down by the bulk? $152 for 12 ouces, or i can get a HG 20* incubator for $250. for someone with new sewing skills or sewing machine, $250 was a bargain. or just buy a more expensive hammock

Central California's Gateway to the Sierras
    Hammock
    DIY 11' Gathered End
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Greylok4; GoLite20
    Suspension
    Whoopies n' Straps
    Think of down quilts as professional installation of Window Tinting on your vehicle, versus the cheap, DIY spray and stick on stuff. Sometimes the latter works.

DIY poncho quilts, or poncho liner quilts, are popular in the warmer climates/seasons.

Quality down is expensive no matter what finished-product one is looking to purchase.

I love my quilts, top and bottom, as does my wife. They're worth every penny -especially when it's 20°F.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by BroChaos View Post
    have you tried to buy down by the bulk? $152 for 12 ouces, or i can get a HG 20* incubator for $250. for someone with new sewing skills or sewing machine, $250 was a bargain. or just buy a more expensive hammock
    Precisely. My wife and I priced out the materials to make our own quilts. We decided it was more cost effective to buy them from a cottage vendor than the effort of making them ourselves; and we're already well-versed with a sewing machine!

Sorry to say, the costs are definitely not outrageous when taking into account the cost of down and Argon.
    Hammeck - Hammocks, stands, and accessories, made by the Meck family.

Like us on Facebook!

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    It's one of those things a few cold night or your first use will really open your eyes!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    WBBB / Trek Light
    Tarp
    Squidbilly custom
    Insulation
    Jarbidge,UGQ TQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/strap
    Images
    I agree it is seem silly that we spend so much on TQs and UQs when the cost of the hammock (a good one) is reasonable. I too was frustrated as I soon realized that quilts were the way to go. I invested lots of money trying to do it the cheap way. I have some neat DIY equipment that I can use in nice weather and had a ton of fun making it. When you are hanging in temps below 40 F numerous problems arise. I find I can do it with DIY equipment but, it is large and heavy. If your car camping very doable but, if you are backpacking it is a problem. Once you have a good quilt (I have a synthetic jarbidge) the advantages become clear. The size, weight, and warmth are worth the money. As a result I did some side jobs and have a flight jacket TQ on the way. On the other hand they are also totally unnecessary. Just go do it, see how comfortable you can be at the lowest temperatures with the gear you have. This is all about the adventure of hanging it doesn't matter if it is in a tablecloth with an old sleeping bag or a WBBB with $600 worth of quilts.....its all fun. I still love my PLUQ and use it every chance I get.
    I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious.

-Albert Einstein

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NWAhanger View Post
    To me it's like putting $1000 tires on a $100 car. It just seems backwards.
    I think you may be looking at it wrong, though I understand the sticker shock. Sounds like you're new, and already looking at what I would call advanced hammock camping.

Hammocks can be used in a variety of ways and it's really cheap till you start adding other requirements.

1. I want to hang in the backyard - a $12 tablecloth hammock fits the bill. This is truly buying a car without tires - set it up on cinder blocks in the backyard.
    2. I want bug protection - time to pony up for a bugnet or hammock with integrated bugnet.
    3. I want to stay dry - now you're in the market for a decent tarp.
    4. I want to be warm - sleeping bag and ccf pad worked great for me down to 20 degrees.
    5. I want to reduce bulk and weight - here's where the costs start piling up, especially in the insulation department.

I was perfectly happy for a couple of years with just a Hennessy Exped Asym Zip Hammock (2 lbs., 9 oz.), 0* synthetic sleeping bag (4 lbs.) and ccf pad (very bulky). My Northface backpack alone was 6 lbs. I couldn't hike very far and the setup was only good down to about 20 degrees. I also had condensation issues with the pad.

Then I decided I wanted lighter, warmer, less bulk, increased comfort, no more fiddling with pads, condensation, etc. I added all those requirements - it wasn't the hammock's fault. The $100 car might get you to work five miles away, but then you decide you want 4WD, snow tires, roof rack, and all the other requirements you might impose on a car - the price tag is gonna add up!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Tablecloth w/ fronkey net
    Tarp
    Toxaway
    Insulation
    TUCKuilt, pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Just to add another perspective, ground dwellers have to "weigh" the pros and cons just like hammock campers do. Cheap synthetic sleeping bag + low end ccf pad= bulk and lack of comfort, but light on the wallet. Top of the line down bag + high end inflatable pad= light weight and packable warmth + and comfort, but heavy on the wallet. Granted, I know there are various "levels" in between to consider as well. 20' down uq + 40' synthetic tq or vice versus. One advantage for us though is that a decent hammock seems to cost less than a light weight 1-person T*nt.

As far as DIYing, I'm feeling more comfortable with my sewing skills, but I would constantly worry that my seams aren't tight and straight enough and down would easy fall though the holes. Plus, I'm not sure if I would live another day if my wife had to deal with down feathers all over the place after my "hobby project."

If misery love company, I'm at 4.5 SilvrSurfr's scale. Cheap synthetic bag and I DIY synthetic uq aka "TUCKquilt." I just can't afford the down quilts yet.
    Last edited by Tuck; 07-08-2014 at 16:37.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    A typical first post from some one who has done no real research. OP will either learn... or freeze. But of course in Alabama the need for down may not be that great. HYOH
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Thank you so much for the advise. I feel that there is a large difference in using intelligence and wisdom. Being intelligent is researching a problem and coming up with a solution on using ones own thinking. Wisdom is were you learn from others mistakes and make a wiser choice on while taking in others ideas into consideration.
    Yes it may be a typical first post from someone who has not researched enough. For that I apologize. For those who gave me a thoughtful opinion your advise has been well noted. Yes I will learn a lot by simple trial and error. Thanks again for your expertise.

P.S. I was not attacking anyone for buying an expensive underquilt. I was simple stating my view point. Attacking me makes me and other new members feel unwelcome. In return makes me not want to post anymore questions.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast