Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow & Incubator
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

Doing Something a Bit Differently?

I'm wondering about views on doing a CRL a bit differently than what is out there commercially. I've been using this approach for the past few years: http://shop.whoopieslings.com/Single...-Line-TRL1.htm

Moving forward, I like the Dutch CRL http://dutchwaregear.com/continuous-ridgeline.html in most ways. The exception is the end with the Dutch hook. It seems to me that this makes it impossible to set up the tarp such that the hammock suspension falls within the "V" of the tarp ridgeline, which I feel is the optimal approach. The knot bone in my current CRL works differently in this respect, allowing me to create the "V."

On the other hand, I often hang where there are large diameter trees, and often decent distances between them, meaning with 30' of ridgeline I can't always do that suspension-within-the-V method due to lack of line.

So, I'm thinking I'd want two things:

(1) More ridgeline -- maybe 35-40' -- just to be safe. Zing-it doesn't weigh so much that another 5-10 feet will kill me.

(2) Rather than a tarp fly on one end and a wasp on the other end -- with the tarp held to the ridgeline by prussicks and mini-biners or TATO tarp connectors -- I'd combine either a stinger (replacing the tarp fly) with a wasp (stinger allowing me to connect one end directly to tarp D-ring) or two wasps.

But, I'm guessing (2) isn't optimal for some reason, or this would be a standard option.

Anyone have suggestions for what I'm missing, what other options I'd prefer, or whether I should use stinger/wasp vs. wasp/wasp?

Oh, last points:

(a) I'm not a DIY guy, so I'll likely end up asking for something to be put together custom from Dutch or otherwise. In my experience, when I D-I-Y, I later also have to B-U-Y.

(b) I definitely prefer a CRL vs. lines from each end.

(c) Yup, I saw the recent Shug tarp videos... :-)

Thanks for your thoughts!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I've never felt the need to create the V on my tarp RL and I've never had any issues. I just do a Dutch hooks on the ends of the line, put it around the tree and hook it up. Prusiks attached to the tarp provide adjustment. Easy and quick and works for me.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    GT Double
    Tarp
    DIY Painters 4mil
    Suspension
    Straps Whoopie MSH
    +1 on Bubba' method above. It's simple and works.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    I've never felt the need to create the V on my tarp RL and I've never had any issues.
    The V thing popped up a couple of years of from a Dejoha post, as I recall, and a lot of people jumped on the bandwagon. It's a solution that addresses a problem I don't have. I'm not even sure what problem it addresses - one guy told me he liked the hammock suspension in the middle of the tarp suspension though he didn't know why. Another guy told me he couldn't sleep 'cause the sound of the tarp ridgeline rubbing against the hammock suspension was keeping him awake. I'll bet that guy has achieved enlightenment 'cause he also knows "What is the sound of one hand clapping?"
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    It's very simple to create a V if you must with the Dutch hooks you now have on the line. Simply take about 11" of the same 1.75mm line, tie it into a loop using a double fisherman's knot, girth hitch that loop on the D ring of the tarp. Run the RL with the dutch hook around the tree and back to the loop on the D ring of the tarp. V Done. Now use whatever tensioner you like (wasp, Dog bone, fly, stinger, what ever) to tighten up the RL on the other end.

This is basically the Simple Single Dutched RL that we have been making and selling for the past year and half. It's fast, minimal components and lets you set up with the aforementioned V that some covet for the Tarp suspension.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Central California's Gateway to the Sierras
    Hammock
    DIY 11' Gathered End
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Greylok4; GoLite20
    Suspension
    Whoopies n' Straps
    I can see the use of the V, especially for a tarp with doors. So far I've gotten away with scooting the suspensions--hammock and tarp, respectively--back and forth enough to allow space for a little swinging and door closure. But there have been instances when, after setup, I needed to adjust the relationship of the suspensions because there was more friction/rubbing than I was comfortable with; this seems more prevalent the closer the two suspension pieces are to one another, around the tree.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow & Incubator
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Thanks for the feedback thus far. I get that there's many a way to skin a cat, not everyone prefers to skin a cat with a V. :-)

Why use the V method? It seems to me if the tarp RL is centered on the hammock (tarp peak above hammock), and the hammock suspension is centered on the hammock, they touch one another. If you like to rock your hammock side to side even just a bit (say, as you get in and out), this moves the hammock suspension. The hammock suspension then deflects the tarp suspension, right? All else equal, wouldn't you rather not have movement in your hammock suspension deflecting your tarp RL?

So, working from the assumption that I'd like to employ the V method when I can, looking for some feedback on achieving what I'd like to achieve with a combination of Dutch gear and a continuous ridgeline. Any takers?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow & Incubator
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Thanks Paul and Aaron -- looks like you were giving me what I was looking for as I was writing!

Central California's Gateway to the Sierras
    Hammock
    DIY 11' Gathered End
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Greylok4; GoLite20
    Suspension
    Whoopies n' Straps
    For a little more detail and perhaps fun mental exercises for you:

I use a CRL on my WB SF. It has a Dutch Hook spliced to a fixed-eye on one end. That hook gets hooked onto a soft-shackle Prusik for connection. It makes the RL easily adjustable from that end and I can create a 'V' if needs be, by giving out slack and moving the Prusik further from the tree. The other side of the CRL is used with a Dutch Wasp. It's easy to tension from this side with the mechanical advantage and the 'V' can be created here, too, if desired. Soft-shackle Prusiks are used at each end of the SF for adjusting it on the CRL.

edit: it's not as much fun or "blingy," but a Dutch Hook and two soft-shackles would probably also work well, in lieu of the Wasp or similar device. Getting the RL tight might not be as easy but it would be cheaper and technically lighter. With this thinking, it's possible to do it with 'biners and Prusiks but that's not as much fun either.
    Last edited by AaronMB; 07-08-2014 at 16:03.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow; pads, Lynx
    Suspension
    Dutch's Cinch Bugs
    As for why to use the V method: Seems like the main advantage of having a "V" tarp set-up is that then you can pitch your tarp lower down / closer to the hammock.

If the tarp is higher up (above the hammock and its suspension) you don't need a V to avoid hammock movements deflecting your tarp. Of course, the downside to this comes when it rains, and your tarp is too high to stop blowing rain coming in, wetting your underquilt.

These dynamics will vary, depending on your specific hammock and tarp size, and the weather you're out in.

• + New Posts