Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Aside from Passinthru's wisdom I's surprised not much mention was made of moisture management. One of the reasons for changing base layers for bed and not wearing day layers to bed is to let day clothes dry and start with dry clothes at night. It takes energy to transport out accumulated moisture produced by your body. If you go to bed with the days sweaty clothing on your body will need a lot more energy as it continues to provide heat to dry out your clothing by driving the moisture into your quilts. Putting on a light layer of dry clothes and maybe a VB layer will greatly reduce the amount of transported moisture thus reducing the energy load.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    I didn't read through the entire thread, so forgive me if this was mentioned and I missed it.

I don't follow the idea of wearing all I have to bed when it's cold out, for a simple reason. A couple of simple reasons, actually.

First...I prefer to have clean, dry clothing to sleep in. Keeps me MUCH warmer. Wearing to bed what I've had on all day doesn't work for me...no matter how cold out it is, I will have perspired while hiking, or gotten wet in the snow/rain, and my clothing will have some element of moisture in it. That's why the ONLY thing I might wear from the day into my hammock would be my thin wicking baselayer, which usually is dry as all the moisture evaporates from it. On top of that, I'll usually have a pair of sweatpants, wool socks, and a light shirt just for sleeping.

Secondly...if I sleep in my outer wear...when I come up out from underneath my insulation first thing in the morning...I freeze my butt off. I much prefer to have my jacket/parka to throw on when I come out first thing, so that I maintain the same temps and don't suffer that early morning shock.

Both of these habits started back when I was in the military...served me well for decades.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234