WBB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Byer of Maine Moskito Kakoon Hammock - Quick Review

This will be a quick one based on my initial impressions and from spending a night in the hammock on a backpack trip. For a very good and detailed review I suggest reading this http://theultimatehang.com/2014/04/b...ammock-review/ That was the review that led me to buy the hammock, choosing it over the Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter Pro.

As mentioned in the linked review, the included suspension is not very good, or good for the tree. The advertised weight was accurate at about 25 oz. However, I cut off most of the attached rope suspension and made small closed loops instead. This brought the weight of the hammock and stuff sack down to 21 oz. I then used my Grand Trunk Tree Slings and connected them with lightweight carabiners, the Camp Nano 23. The tree slings were pretty heavy at about 8 oz. for the pair, but it was what I had on hand at the time. Overall it wasn't a bad setup for less than 2lbs for everything, and cheap!

My overall impression is that it's a really nice hammock for the money. I'm 6'1, 165, and slept pretty comfortably in it, although an extra foot of length would have been nice. The double zippers were nice, something I wish the WBBB XLC could have. I slept overnight in it with a HG 40 degree Incubator and HG 20 degree Burrow. The temps got down to the low 50's and of course I slept very comfortably, not needing to have the UQ cinched up against the hammock too tightly. I did not care for the snaps on the Burrow as I could feel them on my bare feet but that's off-topic. The hammock and quilt system worked perfectly together and I had a great night of sleep, except for the loud hooting owl in the middle of the night! Must have been picking off mice that were out for our food.

The only problem I had with the hammock was that one of the fiberglass rods poked through the netting at the end. I'm not sure when this happened, probably when I was setting it up and doing a test sitting before stringing up the ridgeline and netting. It's a small hole at least and could be easily patched. Some people might end up preferring to have the rods removable anyway so they can pack the hammock in a smaller stuffsack instead of rolling it up into the one that it comes with.

Bottom line, I was pretty pleased with the Hammock and think it's a really good value. It's a great hammock for someone testing the hammock life waters or someone on a very tight budget. I hear that next year they are coming out with a longer version. I really liked this one and will definitely hang on to it, but not so much that I wasn't tempted to do a major upgrade to a WBBB XLC single layer 1.7 with top cover, which I have now, but not yet had a chance to sleep in overnight. I have laid it in though and of course it is much more spacious, and the shelf is awesome. Which reminds me, the gear pockets in the Kakoon are ok, better than nothing, but not good for heavy objects since they are attached to the side walls of the netting. I think I would have preferred a loft or pocket in the center or at the end.

So that's it. I have a few pictures, but I didn't take these with a review in mind so they do not show off anything too specific.

IMG_7582.jpgIMG_7578.jpgIMG_7547.jpgIMG_7539.jpgIMG_7532.jpg

Hammock
    Byer Moskito and Barbados
    Tarp
    Byer Rain Fly
    Suspension
    Byer Micro Rope
    Thank you for the review. Thanks to your review and that of others we are already working on improvements. It's such a blessing for a company like ours to have this site and the great feedback from users like you. Thank you all for your support.

We have had a few people ask for a longer one, and it is something we are considering. But then I also see a lot of comments about the weight being an issue. So if anything we may come out with a different option and sell both. That will take a little while though.
    Dan
    Last edited by Danny Hammock; 07-16-2014 at 14:54.
    Danny Hammock
    www.ByerofMaine.com

Hammock
    WBB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Dan, I'm glad the review was helpful for someone, especially coming from the company itself! I truly think you've hit a great spot between price/product.

Regarding weight, yes it can make a difference in some people's decisions. My advice is to not compare yourself to the top tier vendors in that regard, but to your closest competitor in the nearest price bracket. I originally bought a GT Skeeter Beeter Pro but was turned off by the fact that their advertised weights were misleading. In fact, even Warbonnet does not list their XLC weight accurately, which I've found to be a huge problem in the backpacking industry. In Warbonnet's case, they do not include the tree webbing straps in the weight for their whoopie sling configuration, an extra 2.3 oz. or so.

What I should have mentioned in the review was that your advertised weight was actually spot on, with full suspension, hardware, and stuff sack included. It's hard to believe but it seems some manufacturers have a hard time with basic math. So maybe instead of offering two different lengths you could use the same hammock and offer two different suspension types that would make a few ounces difference. Maybe also partner with Dutch as an upgrade for a lightweight and still affordable combo. Just make sure your listed weight is the actual weight! Maybe other vendors will catch on and not cheat.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny Hammock View Post
    Thank you for the review. Thanks to your review and that of others we are already working on improvements. It's such a blessing for a company like ours to have this site and the great feedback from users like you. Thank you all for your support.
    Send me one to review! I own a Byer Moskito Hammock - don't like the shroud line suspension, the bugnet suspension, or the length but overall a decent start hammock for the price. After reading this thorough review, I'm not sure I'd have much to add but I'd be willing to try!

I have nearly 6,000 posts on HF so that qualifies me as a hammock guru.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    GT Double
    Tarp
    DIY Painters 4mil
    Suspension
    Straps Whoopie MSH
    Good review. I am seriously considering adding this to my hammock armada. FWIW - weight isn't the first thing I look at in equipment of any kind - can it do the job I need it to at the price I'm willing (able) to pay is what I consider.

Hammock
    WBB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I agree with above. For me personally, anything less than 30 oz for a whole system, biners/buckles included, is acceptable, especially if the price is right. Lighter is good of course, but not if you have to sacrifice comfort, function, or affordability.

Hammock
    WBB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Major Update - Comparison and Final Impression

UPDATE:

Over this long weekend, my wife and I had a chance to go to Maine and rent a cottage on the water for a few days. What better opportunity than this to set up the hammocks and do some hanging!?

I actually only found one good spot to set up a hammock. It was right at the edge of shore, a very exposed spot. The weather was beautiful, and also extremely windy. I set up my Blackbird XLC first, assuming it would be superior to the Moskito Kakoon. It's a beautiful and spacious hammock, and indeed comfortable inside. The problem, however, was the wind. I brought along with my my Hammock Gear full length Incubator 40, overstuffed. It's actually quite heavy with down to the tune of 21 oz. so I'm guessing if properly set up it'd be more of a 30 degree quilt. The problem was, no matter what I tried, I could not get a tight seal against the hammock, nor would it stay in place. The result was, even in high 60's and sunny weather, a cold bottom side. Mind you, the wind was exceptionally strong, not something I would consider normal in a camping situation. The hammock and quilt sometimes transformed into a parasail without someone sitting in it.

But I could not get a snug fit, no matter how tight I cinched it, or which way I pulled it. I tried letting some slack out too, and other things, just couldn't get it to work right. And I've watched Shug's video on setting up the quilt with the Blackbird so I did have some of his tips in mind. Maybe I should revisit it again and make sure I didn't miss anything. (Shug if you read this I would more than welcome any additional input) Perhaps the triangle thingies would be beneficial for this. But I'm sure you'll understand that with a trip to the NH White Mountains coming up in a couple weeks, this left me very concerned.

So I thought, why don't I try out the Kakoon again? It had already served me well on an overnight trip so let's see how it compares. So I took down the Blackbird and put up the Kakooon in it's place, along with the Incubator. As soon as I laid down in it I noticed an immediate difference, even in the same high wind. It was warm! The fit, somehow, is just so much better, and any drafts were minimal. I didn't have to do a lot of fiddling around with it to get it snug and stay put. I attribute this mostly to the smaller size of the hammock, both in width and length. The Incubator is much more easily able to wrap around you on the sides, and give you the coverage where you need it. And while it is possible to lay at somewhat of an angle in the Kakoon, you are not at such an extreme angle as you are in the BB. I believe this will cost a little bit of comfort, but I'd much rather be warm than totally flat.

And then, as I was laying there, I thought to myself, "Wow, this hammock is really nice!" I think I took it for granted the first time I had it, but in my opinion it does offer some nice advantages over the more expensive BB that surprised me. Here are a few notes I made.

- Because of the narrower width, there is much greater visibility on the sides. I'm tall, but with a slight build and fairly narrow shoulders. The BB felt like it was sucking me in and there is practically no side visibility, except maybe on the entry side if you position yourself right. But then you have a high wall on the opposite side.
    - Again, because of the width, the quilt gives you greater side to side coverage, not as much fighting to pull it from one side to the other.
    - The quilt fit at the ends is better too, with less air gap, and creating an excellent seal against high wind.
    - The mosquito net sits higher, allowing greater comfort when sitting up. The fiberglass rods help spread it out too making it feel roomier.
    - The mosquito netting itself has better clarity. The BB netting makes everything a little blurry. I believe the netting on the BB is more durable, however.
    - Although the included pockets aren't great in the Kakoon, you have a smaller "gear loft" that you can utilize on the side opposite of the entry. This is an inherent effect of having the mosquito netting sewn to the hammock material. I was able to put plenty of small items like phone, and eyeglasses in it, and even larger items like a hoodie. It would easily hold a nalgene size object.
    - Set up is easier. You don't have to stake out both sides, so you don't need to carrier the extra two stakes. Nor do you have to worry about any guy lines getting tangled up. No guy line on the entry side also makes entry and exit easier.
    - It has a double zipper. I can't tell you how much I welcome this back after using the single zipper on the BB for a while. I think I'll replace the zipper pulls with cord to quiet them down a bit.

So that about sums it up. In the end I came back with a renewed appreciation for this underdog hammock. I have no doubt the Warbonnet Blackbird XLC is an excellent hammock, as is evidenced by so many fans. I am not trying to bash the hammock in any way, I am merely trying to compare it to a model that is not even in the same class, after having used both.

Now, my plan is to completely replace the suspension on the Kakoon. All I had for this trip was the small closed loops I made at either end, and the Grand Trunk Tree Slings. Those lines stretch too much and are way too heavy so I'm going to go for the Whoopie Sling all-in-one system. It will cost me just as much as the hammock itself, but I think the result will be a very robust hammock setup that I know I can trust to keep me warm and comfortable in all types of conditions. I wish the hammock was a wee bit longer, but I understand there's not such a thing as a one size fits all. A big two thumbs up for Byer of Maine Moskito Kakoon!!
    IMG_20140830_111443.jpgIMG_20140830_125200.jpgIMG_20140830_111719.jpgIMG_20140830_104148.jpg

i'm holding out for a 10ft version. 8'9 concerns me a bit. looking on the website, the new suspension looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Hammock View Post

We have had a few people ask for a longer one, and it is something we are considering. But then I also see a lot of comments about the weight being an issue. So if anything we may come out with a different option and sell both. That will take a little while though.
    Dan

Hammock
    Byer Moskito and Barbados
    Tarp
    Byer Rain Fly
    Suspension
    Byer Micro Rope
    I was hoping to have one for you this spring, but it just wasn't possible this year. We are still making fine adjustments to the original before we go ahead with a larger version. Stay tuned though. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by arolfsen View Post
    i'm holding out for a 10ft version. 8'9 concerns me a bit. looking on the website, the new suspension looks good.
    Danny Hammock
    www.ByerofMaine.com

Hammock
    Byer Mosquito
    Tarp
    ZPacks Camo Cuben
    Suspension
    Fixed Loop/BIAS HA
    We ordered two of the Byer Moskito Kakoon Hammocks and are looking forward to trying them. Right now we use DD Frontline hammocks… nice but heavy.

Derek of UltimateHang had the same problem with the net spreader bar after sitting on the net. He suggested, as you did, that some people might prefer to be able to remove the spreader bars.

For those that do, we made a replacement for a missing DD Frontline spreader bar using the Coleman tent repair kit linked to below. I believe we used the 6mm.

Repair kit: http://www.coleman.com/Parts/Univers...sal-tent-poles
    Sizing guide: http://www.coleman.com/uploadedFiles...lediameter.pdf
    Instructions: http://www.coleman.com/uploadedFiles.../repairkit.pdf

We’re probably going to do the same mod for the Byer for packability and for sitablilty (?).

Hope this helps.

P.S. Anyone interested in 1 or 2 Frontline hammocks used 5 times, PM me.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast