Hennessy Expedition Classic
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    AHE whoopie sling

Getting ready for winter

All these post about warm weather hanging and all I can think about is winter hanging. So I just ordered a Jacks r Better Nest. As soon as it gets here bring on the frost.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I'm thinking about it too!

I went trail running last night and it was just another reminder of why I avoid the woods like the plague during June, July, and August! Anytime I wasn't running full speed, mosquitoes completely covered me! Actually, running didn't even help since I kept feeling an annoying sensation on my head - probably black flies. Couldn't swat them or get away fast enough.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I'm also looking forward to a winter trip especially since I had to cancel last winter's. At any given time I'm always thinking about trips in any weather.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 40
    I haven't had the guts yet to hang in the winter... I know, what a wuss

Hammock
    WL, WB, Clark stuff
    Images
    I love summer hiking...so long as my clothes and skin have permethrin and deet on them.

A big pro for summer hiking is how light my pack is in the summer; hammock, tarp, food, t shirts and shorts...and thats about it. I stay on the trail in hot weather though, no cross country stuff. Too many snakes and wasp nests to step on.

When the weather turns cold, its off trail much more than on trail hiking....thats when you see stuff most people never dream of. Its also a good time to practice compass sklls.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by outdoorsguy View Post
    I love summer hiking...so long as my clothes and skin have permethrin and deet on them.
    Unfortunatley that stuff does nothing for me. It does get me wanting a long hot shower the minute I spray it on though! Dirty nasty greasy feeling with no noticable effect. Believe me, I've tried it ALL! I'm confident one of these days they'll invent something that works 100%...so I'll keep my eye out. Last night I was out on my deck after hosing the place down with permethrin 2 days before/no rain. After 5 minutes I came in thinking I avoided the bugs since I didn't feel anything.

5 more mintutes later I felt the itching and huge welts on my skin. I HATE MOSQUITOES!

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Classic
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    AHE whoopie sling
    My Nest just got here, supposed to have record lows Sunday - Tuesday low 50's. Time to sleep in the back yard.

Hammock
    WL, WB, Clark stuff
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    Unfortunatley that stuff does nothing for me. It does get me wanting a long hot shower the minute I spray it on though! Dirty nasty greasy feeling with no noticable effect. Believe me, I've tried it ALL! I'm confident one of these days they'll invent something that works 100%...so I'll keep my eye out. Last night I was out on my deck after hosing the place down with permethrin 2 days before/no rain. After 5 minutes I came in thinking I avoided the bugs since I didn't feel anything.

5 more mintutes later I felt the itching and huge welts on my skin. I HATE MOSQUITOES!
    I do believe you and it stinks that permethrin and deet don't keep the mozzies away from you! It is amazing the way they keep bugs from me. For instance , I can feel mosquitoes literally bouncing off my neck when I am hiking on hot days, but at the end I do not have so much as 1 bite. It is very creepy at first feeling them trying to land on my neck, I keep slapping at them until I realize they aren't landing, much less biting. Eventually I start ignoring them.

I have to wonder if its something in your body chemistry counteracting the effects of the permethrin and deet. Sort of like how most people can take medications their doctor prescribes, while a minority of people get deathly ill from the side effects of the same medication. Just a guess.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Winter is such a short season here. My personal low is 21* this past Jan. and not too many chances for below freezing temps, either. Summer is a 3 season stretch here. It comes in warm and hot varieties. That's it. Soooo....

...I like to be outdoors and I do what I can with what I got. Come out and enjoy some summer hang with us.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Yes, I'm thinking about winter also. You know, that time of year when the highs are in the 70's and lows in the 50's or 60's. Here in the southern end of Florida, a couple of nights ago the low was 91 degrees with the ever-present humidity.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast