Hammock
    DH Thunderbird 1.0/1.1
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

1.0 vs 1.9 vs 2.0 .....Help needed.

I am getting ready to order a new hammock. The color I am wanting is available in 1.0, 1.9 and 2.0 all nylon ripstop fabric.

Can anyone tell me the difference in lay between these? Only thing I've layed in is an Eno DN so I don't have any experience

with these fabrics. Weight isn't that big of a deal and I'd rather have comfort. I am only 5'6" and about 165 lbs so I know

even the 1.0 will hold me just wander if heavier fabric would lay better. I plan on a single layer and not a double. I just want

the most comfortable and hope someone here can help me understand the differences. If it matters it will be a Dream

Hammock. Thanks for your time.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    When I first started hammocking I went for the 1.0 and 1.1 oz. nylon hammocks. Sure, they're lightweight, but also too fragile for my camping/hanging style. I've damaged a couple and decided that they weren't reliable/sturdy enough for me.

Nylon is nylon, it's all gonna stretch to some degree. I've recently been sleeping in polyester hammocks and enjoy the minimal stretch immensely.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    11" 1.1 ripstop
    Tarp
    1.1 DIY 10X10
    Insulation
    HG 20* TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I have eno, tablecloth, 1,9 and 1.1 and there doesn't appear to be much difference in the feel of them. The 1.9 is a little stiffer feeling but I like the 1.1 for its weight and packability, but I have noticed some slight damage in the material. I had my buddy get in the hammock to take pics and i think his shoes did it. Definitely need to be more careful with the lighter materials.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I'm 5'4" and ~132 lbs - I have been using hammocks made with different fabric weights. My lightest hammock is a 1.0 double layer hammock. I have used it quite a bit, and it works well for me, but I don't think I would want a 1.0 single layer hammock. Sure, the weight saving would be great, but the fabric *is* quite thin, and I would probably worry all the time about damaging it. My 1.0 DL is now exclusively for hiking, since I won't be able to replace it should it break (it's a Blackbird and Warbonnet doesn't use 1.0 fabric anymore). For bicycle trips, I go for a 1.1 double layer. I haven't tried a 1.1 single layer, yet, but I probably would rather opt for something a bit more sturdy like 1.6.

If weight and volume were no issues, I would always pack my 1.7 double layer. There's not a huge difference in comfort, but it feels a bit more comfy - plus the increased robustness would make it my first choice, were it not for the weight and volume.

If I were you, I would probably pick the 1.9 or the 2.0 fabric for a single layer. 1.0 only as a double layer. Actually, I would probably go for a 1.0 double layer: it's about as heavy as a 2.0 single layer, offers roughly the same kind of comfort, but gives you more options (if you want to supplement your insulation).

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    1.9 and 2.0 oz fabric will be virtually the same as long as the weave is the same. So the _real_ choice is between the 1.0 and the 1.9/2.0. I can't give you much guidance on comfort since I have 100# on you and that makes a difference. I would recommend you look at your camping style and temperatures. If you are hard on gear go for the heavier. If you won't be doing really cold camping single layer would be ok. You can always add an underquilt. But if you want to stay with a pad then the double layer is essential IMO. Then the 1.0 would probably be the best choice. But ultimately it comes down to what you like best.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    At 5' 9" and 150#, I've always been a 1.0/1.1 hanger. Recently made an 11' 6" x 60" hammock from some 1.6 Argon I bought from Dutch. Really liked it after I tried it out. My 5' 2", 115# daughter really liked it too, so I'm making myself another one. Hers is now packing its way in the Bob Marshall Wilderness - couldn't say no to her.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird 1.0/1.1
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks for the responses so far. I think if I decide 1.0 I will definitely go with a double. I would think 1.9/2.0 just stick with a single maybe from reading so far. I have never used a sleeping pad but I've only spent 5 or 6 nights in a hammock so far with the coldest night being in the low 50's. I think I would go with an underquilt if it got really cold. I could also go with the 2.3 or 2.7 Poly/Nylon if it would be more durable, how does the poly/nylon compare to the ripstop? For the ones not using a sleeping pad do you think a double layer lighter fabric is better than a single layer heavier fabric?

• + New Posts