Snipe/Dutch
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ / HG UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch and Whoopies

Thumbs down Diamond rain fly warning.

My father in law purchased this tarp a few weeks ago .

He used it on a 5 day trip recently and one night it stormed pretty bad.

This Tarp Leaked like a sieve soaking all his sleeping gear.

Very surprising considering there isn't a ridgeline seam.

The Only seams on this tarp are on the sides ......well away from the hammock.

When we returned he made small pools of water in the tarp all around various places to see if it held any water at all.....it just poured through.

This tarp Would make a good pre-filter for your drinking water but a terrible shelter.

He's super bummed about it because he really liked this tarp.

Perhaps this is a manufacturing defect or something....I'm not sure.

He emailed them , explained , and they are giving him a full refund which is good ..... but they offered no explanations or apologies.

We were many miles out in the mountains and if the conditions were worse at a different time of year it could have spelled very bad news for him.

I know people like the hammocks and I hate negative posts but ,had to let people know.......

Pretty.
    Serious.
    Bummer.

just a heads up.
    Last edited by ADKrella; 07-10-2014 at 20:11.

Images
    WOW! That is a bummer for sure, and thx for the warning. That could have been bad.

When I 1st get my tarps, 1st thing I do is put them up in the backyard and take the hose to them, checking for leaks, or testing my seam sealing if they are not factory sealed, etc. Then after they have been put up a while, I mostly test them again before a trip, though I admit I have not always tested them.

Still, I had a friend who headed out with a factory sealed tarp(not one of our vendors), a tarp he had used a few times previously, but that night during an all night rain a seam started leaking a good(bad) amount. Lucky for him he was not 20 miles into the wilderness, but just on an overnighter and near shelter and his car, and it was warm weather. He got through by draping some rain gear over his ridgeline.

I had another friend that was 20 miles in, during a summer snow storm on Jun 27 yeas ago. The snow broke a limb which punched a big hole in his tarp, dumping a big load of snow right into his face! So it can happen even when you start out with a working tarp.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    The Camo Diamond was my first tarp and never had a problem with it.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Very important to check your gear, each and every time. Your life could depend on it.

Hammock
    Snipe/Dutch
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ / HG UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch and Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    The Camo Diamond was my first tarp and never had a problem with it.
    Yeah I dunno.

Just describing what I witnessed.
    They have been around for a while so neither of us expected an issue.
    Although personally I've read mixed reviews on this tarp.
    I expected the seams on the sides to leak a bit as they weren't sealed but they are away from the hammock but not for the whole tarp to be basically just ripstop.
    Its weird.
    Could be a fluke.
    Last edited by ADKrella; 07-13-2014 at 20:03.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    While I like the tarp, it does not provide a lot protection. Not something I would use if I was expecting a heavy rain fall/storm. I only take it on overnights when the forecast is for no rain or slight chance of rain.

The side seams are low enough that even if they do leak it should not be a issue as like you said, they are far enough away from the hammock so it should not be an issue.

Since my earlier post I did remember I did find some loose threads on one of the side seams that about 2 minutes with my thread injector took care of. Did not reseal.

Could be you did get a defective tarp. If you got to keep the tarp I would use it as a DIY project to make my own tarp sealer with some silicone and see how well it works. Lots of DIY instructions on how to make and seal a tarp.
    Last edited by gunner76; 07-12-2014 at 23:19.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Snipe/Dutch
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ / HG UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch and Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    While I like the tarp, it does not provide a lot protection. Not something I would use if I was expecting a heavy rain fall/storm. I only take it on overnights when the forecast if for no rain or slight chance of rain.

The side seams are low enough that even if they do leak it should not be a issue as like you said, they are far enough away from the hammock so it should not be an issue.

Since my earlier post I did remember I did find some loose threads on one of the side seams that about 2 minutes with my thread injector took care of. Did not reseal.

Could be you did get a defective tarp. If you got to keep the tarp I would use it as a DIY project to make my own tarp sealer with some silicone and see how well it works. Lots of DIY instructions on how to make and seal a tarp.
    Ok cool...we were discussing how to go about it earlier today....I'll have to look it up and check it out.
    thanks.

Thanks for your review on it. I never thought that an outcome like that could happen. There must be a defect on it or something. I'm glad your father-in-law was given a full refund.

Hello Tim here I have a Claytor jungle hammock and the ropes blew apart and I had purchased a big rain fly and it leaked to. I paid $80 with shipping and it cost me $52 to send it back. The hammock it self is well made but unless you like laying in a sausage skin do not by one. I am now going to get a Hennessey Safari with plenty of room for me and my dog. I will sell the Claytor.

Hammock
    WB Camo, ENO Dbl, Claytor, Chrys G4
    Tarp
    13' DIY TarpCocoon
    Insulation
    HG 0* Over & Under
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    A.D. - There are definately some modification issues which need to be addressed concerning the Claytor Hammock System i.e. suspension, overhead netting struts and the moisture repellency issue regarding its Diamond Fly. I've owned my Claytor for several years and throughly enjoy its use. However, when I did my initial test set up and exposed the Diamond Fly to water, I did experience some condensation form on the underside but, not enough to warrant returning the product. I resealed both surfaces totally eleminating any potential for future concerns. The Diamond tarps overall coverage is minimal however, I use it mostly as a sun shade and go to my 13' tarpCocoon should the weather turn inclement. Best of luck.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast