Hammock
    WBBB xlc
    Suspension
    whoopie

Triple Crown Trails 2016-2017

Hello everyone. I am in the very early stages of planning a retirement hike through one of the triple crown trails in either 2016-17. I have plenty of time to gather equipment, gain experience, and put some time in conditioning the back and legs. I am also new to hammock camping with most of my experience in an RV, tent, or cot. Does anyone have advice they care to impart for the task? I am not an avid outdoors guy, but love the outdoors. Not sure if that makes sense. So any and all tips are welcome

Thanks

Images
    That's quite the feat. Wish you luck.
    But, someone who's not an avid outdoorsman and is used to camping in rv's you may be in for rude awakening. There's no better teacher then experience, so I'd start getting out every chance you get. There are many little nuances to spending that kind of time in the woods that you'll never think of till your out there.
    Good luck.

Hammock
    Darien UL, Ridgerunner, DIY
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear UQ,TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryane View Post
    Hello everyone. I am in the very early stages of planning a retirement hike through one of the triple crown trails in either 2016-17. I have plenty of time to gather equipment, gain experience, and put some time in conditioning the back and legs. I am also new to hammock camping with most of my experience in an RV, tent, or cot. Does anyone have advice they care to impart for the task? I am not an avid outdoors guy, but love the outdoors. Not sure if that makes sense. So any and all tips are welcome

Thanks

you have two of the three choices given your background. the PCT, which stays up at higher elevations and provides more of a large view hiking experience but has fewer outs so it is more of a committed endevor. the AT which is more "green tunnel walking" with actually harder terrain, but is a more social trail with plenty of town stops to refresh and recover also more out points if you decide it is not for you. The PCT will also be less populated than the AT but the hikers you see on the PCT will be more purposeful as opposed to the AT which you will encounter hikers of all experience level... I would stay away from the CDT as your first long distance experience.
    Great idea and good luck!
    "nature speaks in the silence between words"
    www.mustexplore.blogspot.com

Hammock
    WBBB xlc
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Thank you both. I would like to eventually do all three. My initial evaluation is to do the CDT last and tackle the AT first to build long range hiking experience.

Hammock
    DIY tablecloth
    Suspension
    Amsteel loops
    Ryane -- You may want to take a look at this book; he has hiked all 3, and really feels the PCT is a better 1st hike (better quality of trail):

http://www.amazon.com/Make-Your-Firs...alachian+trail

I'm is a similar boat as you, will retire in winter of '17-'18 and looking at an AT hike in '18 (I've hiked some short sections of the AT and it has been on my "bucket list" for over 40 years).

What ever you do, best of luck and keep us informed....... Grizhicks

• + New Posts