Now, I have made a few Tablecloth hammocks and they seemed to work out pretty good. Then I got a hold of this nice thread injector and thought I would make me some even better ones. So I fire up the outdated, Beta version of this 3D CAD program and start designin'... I should mention that something strange happens when I start "desgnin' " stuff. My wife says my eyes glaze over and I drool, I don't eat, I consume massive quantities of Coca-Cola, mumble incoherently while sucking on my E-cig even after it is dry and the battery is dead. ANYway. at the end of this, I had this whiz bang, all the bells and whistles, mack daddy of a bridge hammock designed. Full zip on bug net, removable endcaps, custom fitted UQ, etc. etc. etc. Cool? Sure! Comfortable? Don't know. My only experience with bridge hammocks is watching vids on YT and reading about them here. But I got the fabric so... Well, let's make that tarp for one of those tablecloth hammocks first. Pretty close to 10x10 silnil with shallow catcuts (more of a picnic setup, not long term camping). Man! You guys weren't kidding! That silnylon is some SLICK stuff! Like trying to hold on to a handful of wet nightcrawlers.... Got the two pieces joined fairly easily, I could pin it in the hem allowance. Flattened down the hem allowance to either side and slapped two lengths of poly gross grain on top of them. This covered the center seam hem and created a gross grain "tube" to run a continuous ridgeline through. Note: Skinny double sided tape came in real handy here. Then, I tackled the contrasting color gross grain going around the edge and making the loops. If it could go wrong, it did! Didn't catch enough fabric, wasn't paying attention and "slack" fabric got sewn into the deal, sewed the fabric and not the gross grain, emptied the bobbin, WHAT A MESS! I got it done and it works but anything other than a cursory glance and anyone can tell that edge gave me fits.

So I got to thinkin' maybe I better try my hand at end channels and long straight rolled hems before I tackle this bridge hammock idea. So I did. End result is a slightly over 10 foot gathered end hammock with Knotty Mod (had to burn the holes for that, still can't get that "automatic" button hole thingy to work). Even made a bugnet for it - Got a Coghlan's 63x78x59 net on clearance for a few bucks. Cut it up and it works pretty nice with a bunch left over.

Quick pic of the hammock:
0709140348.jpg

Think I will tackle a simple UQ next, leave that bridge hammock for latter..