Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Hennessy Epd deluxe
    Tarp
    Equinox 10 x 12

Just ordered my new Hennessy expedition deluxe.

Hey Just ordered my new hammock should be in later next week. Was thinking of ordering so rings and caribeners from dutch or someone. Should i try it out with factory suspension first and see if I like it or should I just go ahead and order. Any insight would be helpful. Thanks

I'm pretty new myself, but the best thing I did was whoopie slings, and the fly on a separate ridgeline. I am glad I used the stock suspension the first couple times though. Always good to have a backup method.

I've got the Exped and right now it's still totally stock since I'm fairly new to hanging. I figure that while I've read a heck of a lot about various modifications, I'm in no hurry. I'd rather exhaust the possibilities of the stock setup, explore the envelope of what's possible, before making a change that may be irrevocable. For instance, I slept out in the back yard last night and tried a different setup (basically a new knot for easier adjustment and a very slack hang). The knot worked. The extra slack did not. Now I know and can move on.

The first and most likely changes I'll make to my setup will be things that are reversible if I don't like them. For instance, I've ordered some line and will make an adjustable separate ridgeline for the tarp. Maybe I'll get a larger tarp after that. I'll be more deliberate and step slowly when it comes to adding a zipper (I've got the bottom loader) or changing out the suspension altogether.

Hammock
    DH Dangerbird/WB RR
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    AE New River MM TQ
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    In my case I've kept the stock suspension but added biners and rings. I don't mind tying knots, but the stock setup lacks the ability to do quick adjustments to fine tune the lay. The biners and rings allow me to make quick adjustments with the stock suspension.

The stock fly is OK, and if I were doing a mid summer 2-3 day hike it would be sufficient but for anything else I prefer a little more coverage.

I have the bottom entry and just got my Exped back from 2QZQ. Love having the zipper option (I can still use the bottom entry if needed) and being able to roll the netting up and stow it.

These few mods have made the Hennessey a much more versatile hammock for me.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    I have 2 HH (Deluxe and Exp.). My suggestion is to try it with the stock set up first. Use it the way HH designed it so you can get a good feel for it. Once you have figured out if it works for you then you can make all the mods you want.

Hammock
    HH Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Asym Fly from HH
    Insulation
    Thermarest Pad
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas/Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    I have 2 HH (Deluxe and Exp.). My suggestion is to try it with the stock set up first. Use it the way HH designed it so you can get a good feel for it. Once you have figured out if it works for you then you can make all the mods you want.
    Agree with that... Although I am not a huge lover of knots it was cool to learn the technique for HH. I however like a much easier setup so i just tied the ropes together to make a big loop and attached carabiners at the ends to attach to my atlas straps... I know that isn't as glossy or fancy as the whoopie but hey HYOH

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    Phoneix/Burrow 20*
    Suspension
    Figuring that out
    Use it as is for a while. There's already a large enough learning curve with a hammock before diving into modifying one. My first hammock was a HH expedition with stock fly and zip. Very comfortable and durable. I'm now swinging in an ultralight backpacker model.

The stock suspension on a HH is in no way a bad or poor design. I used it for a long time before converting to whoopies slings, and on my Ultralight backpacker there was no weight savings. Using the stock suspension on the HH is a great learning tool because if you need to adjust your hammock you have to go through the annoying process of undoing, adjusting, and relashing the suspension. BUT, after you do it a few times you really start to analyze your campsite, see it in your head how you need to set up your tree huggers, suspension, and tarp. You start to visualize all the angles in your head and in the end become a better hammock camper.

Once you start to become proficient at setting up your hammock anywhere, these fundamentals still roll over too new modifications to your hammock.

First and foremost, before you begin modifying... figure out how your gonna stay warm in your hammock. Most people, including myself, were unaware of vast insulation options available to hammock campers when they bought their first. In the end, if you really start to hang alot, your gonna end up with some sort of Top Quilt/Under Quilt. If you do decide to plunge the money on a nice set. Don't do it on a whim. Research, research, research.. or call any of the vendors, most are glad to talk to you about your needs.

When you do being to modify, unless there's a another huge breakthrough in suspension bliss, I would convert to whoopie slings. Don't convert until you research them, know what you need, and how to use them. All of which can be learned on this website.

You'll prob want to upgrade your tarp down the line. So many designs, but most typically just want something with more coverage.

But honestly, one of my favorite hammock memories was the first time I took my HH expedition camping. I barely knew how to use it, it was cold and wet, and I was uncomfortable. I literally got over the learning curve that night.. been hanging ever since.

Enjoy your hammock.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    But honestly, one of my favorite hammock memories was the first time I took my HH expedition camping. I barely knew how to use it, it was cold and wet, and I was uncomfortable. I literally got over the learning curve that night.. been hanging ever since.
    That is perhaps the most concise, wonderful introduction to hammock camping that I had to reply only to quote it so it gets read again.

Hammock
    Hennessy Epd deluxe
    Tarp
    Equinox 10 x 12
    Thank you all for the great advice and I believe I will stay stock for now with my grand trunk I had it all set up hammock and tarp without a single knot other than security knots on the figure 9s. I believe I am going to take out all the mechanical devices out untill I have mastered several knots since that is a huge weakness in my woodsman skill set. Love this site and can't wait to meet some folks around the campsite.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition
    Tarp
    hennessy rain fly
    Suspension
    readystraps
    Only thing I have added to mine from the stock is 2 stainless rings and a beaner to each side. Learned this from youtube and been using it ever since. Never a complaint. Tried the ENO strap slaps and just not happy with them, going back to the rings and a beaner. I love my Hennessy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iJTjful66M

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast