Quote Originally Posted by I Splice View Post
Just an update.

I got my line.

When my Scouts made up the bear ropes, we had about 90 feet extra; so Redden threw in some extra rope for all of the hassle and waiting. That's not quite as good as a smooth experience but at least they did try to make amends.

We had two crews at Philmont. One of the rangers, but not the other one, really wanted us to take the Philropes. My guys ended up carrying both ropes.

He didn't like my paint strainers instead of the Frisbee.
Welcome back.
The year I went to Philmont I brought a number of things to lighten the load over the stock camp stuff, some not quite Philmont specs. Our ranger (a rising senior in the Air Force academy) was pretty laid back about that. On the shake-down "Show me your gear thing" he wasn't nosy. We had three adults on the crew who knew what we were doing and that was fine with him.

I didn't know about lightweight ropes then so we used the Philmont ones.

Probably just as well, we had to use them to drop a climb line to, ah hem, my son, who scrambled down a rock face without rope, but then had sense enough to call for help to get back up. I told him he could kill himself if he wanted, but for crying out loud not to do it around me because his mother would never forgive me. Anyway I sure would rather have that quarter inch stuff in a bowline around me going back up a rock face than the Amsteel.

Grizz