Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Insulation
    HammockGear

Pacific Coast (WA/OR/CA) > Motorcycle Ride and Hang

At least once a year I ride my motorcycle up and down the pacific coast from Seattle to San Francisco. Normally I stay in hotels, but now that I have a hammock I would like to hang instead. I would like input on potential hanging spots along the way. I will ride along 101 in WA/OR and CA-1 in CA.

I would like to find 3 spots to hang, roughly 300-400 miles apart along one of those paths. My normal route is to stop in Newport, OR; Eureka CA; and Santa Rosa, CA.

Ideally it would be places I could hang for free or at least places where I don’t need a reservation. The National Forests look like the best bet for dispersed camping, but I’m open to anything.

Where are good spots to hang along the OR and NorCal coasts? Or even up to ~50mi inland into the mountains/forests.

Thanks

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    KNT12/16
    Insulation
    KAQ RC 4S UQ
    Suspension
    Slings and arrows
    Not checked the gap distance, but Ruby Beach WA, Kallaloch WA, South Beach WA, Florence OR, Mendecino-Ft.Bragg CA, Big Sur CA would be my hang targets. Have fun out there!
    Last edited by NordicNorm; 07-15-2014 at 15:59.
    Latest inspiration: In the dirt. Ep3
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UX7ieDrNvnU

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Quote Originally Posted by NordicNorm View Post
    Not checked the gap distance, but Ruby Beach WA, Kallaloch WA, South Beach WA, Florence OR, Mendecino-Ft.Bragg CA, Big Sur CA would be my hang targets. Have fun out there!
    Thank you for the help!

Those all look like the right distances:
    Ruby Beach/Kalloch/South Beach WA (all look like the same area) to Florence OR: 330mi
    Also Seattle to Florence OR (via 101) is around 370mi
    Florence OR - Ft Bragg CA: 398mi
    Ft Bragg to San Jose (my temporary destination): 230

Where in Florence and Ft Bragg do you hang? I assume you just find a spot in the Siuslaw National Forest near Florence, OR and the Jackson State Forest near Ft. Bragg, CA. Anything more specific?

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    KNT12/16
    Insulation
    KAQ RC 4S UQ
    Suspension
    Slings and arrows
    There are awesome camping areas just N of Florence and Ft. Bragg. I love beach camping and it's fun to improvise hammock stands from driftwood (shovel and lots of rope come in handy). If you try same, be sure to check tides and such for access and high tide mark. Last time I was in Neah Bay I scored some monster razor clams. Man, talk about good eating. Have fun!
    Latest inspiration: In the dirt. Ep3
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UX7ieDrNvnU

Hammock
    TTTG SB1.9s / DreamHmk
    Tarp
    HG WinterKingdom
    Insulation
    HG M50 Superiority
    Suspension
    MakinWhoopies Bob.
    Wouldn't happen to be the fella I met in the turnout above Hwy 1 on Willow Creek Rd, are ya? Slick rig that guy had... got a pic around here somewhere.
    -Bill

"...the wolf shows up. Then the entire flock tries desperately to hide behind one lonely sheepdog."
    -LTC D. Grossman

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Not me - I was still in Oregon when you posted this.

In Oregon I found plenty of places to hang. I got a later start than planned so I stopped in the National Forest just north of Lincoln City. Here is my camp from the first night:
    20140726_071728[1].jpg

The second night on CA-1, I had a hard time finding anywhere to hang. There were plenty of spots south of Eureka before getting to CA-1. The first portion of CA-1 through the woods also had lots of spots, but once I hit the coast I couldn't find anywhere to stop. I eventually found a spot in Russian Gulch State Park. The next morning when heading further south I found a lot more places. I wasn't looking to stay on the beach since I had no way to hang from rocks and driftwood. I was looking for trees on state or national forests. Here is my campsite from the second day:

20140727_073039[1].jpg

Now that I am in California for the month, each of the next three weekends I am going to make trips out somewhere before heading back north on the 4th weekend. I plan on heading to Tahoe, Yosemite, Sequoia NP, and possibly Los Padres. I've ridden through the first three a couple of times, but never the last. I've also never camped or hung in any. Any recommendations on where to stop and hang?

Hammock
    TTTG SB1.9s / DreamHmk
    Tarp
    HG WinterKingdom
    Insulation
    HG M50 Superiority
    Suspension
    MakinWhoopies Bob.
    Los Padres: out of the way without being TOO out of the way = Figueroa Mtn campground. Little further off the beaten path (same path though) ride an extra 15 minutes to Davey Brown campground. Pass them to the usual jumpoff I take for backapcking that area, both nice campgrounds.
    -Bill

"...the wolf shows up. Then the entire flock tries desperately to hide behind one lonely sheepdog."
    -LTC D. Grossman

• + New Posts