AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings

Were to cut at?

Ok guys I went to OWF in Caldwell today and picked up a 80x40x1/4' ccf pad. I put it into my BB when I got home. Full size is nice to have all that coverage but it bunches up quite a bit all the way around the pad. Then I tried with it folded in half and that was a bit better but still bunched up some although it was a bit short. So what I am thinking is trimming the width a bit (35-30") and the lenth a fair amount to probably 60" or so. And maybe trimming the corners (ala cofin cut). So any body have any suggestions? I am kind of hoping to get a big enough scrap to use for my 5 yr old son in his hammock and I am wanting to reduce the bulk and weight a bit on that role.

Thanks all
    Paul

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I have been continplating the same thing. I have been enjoying my HH SS pad and have thought about using it as a pattern. But in the end I think I will just lay on it and have my wife draw acouple inches around me.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Images
    to eliminate the bunching, you can cut acute triangles into it along the hips. one just above and one just below the hip should do. make them go deep down into the pad, almost all the way to the center. start by making them extremely acute (like an inch wide at the edge tapering to zero near the center of the pad) and then just make them gradually wider till the buckeling is gone. if you make them too wide they won't close all the way and you'll have a gap, so it's better to start too narrow and gradually make them wider till you get it right.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I cut my wally world ccf pad exactly in half , making two pads. I can carry just one for the summer months, and use both either stacked or turn one 90* to create a t-shape, which allows nice shoulder coverage. my pad originally was 72 x 20, so not as big as yours. I ended up with 2 pieces at 36 x20.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    working on it
    Suspension
    Rings
    I was about to post the same question earlier today but had to leave the house real fast and never got around to it. I was reading an earlier thread discussing the cuts growing and going deeper. If I remember correctly they were saying to put small circular cuts at the point of the triangle and that should help to prevent it from growing.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=4740
    Last edited by macadocious; 07-21-2009 at 22:06. Reason: Added link to older post

Images
    you could also cover one side of the pad with ripstop, no cuts in the ripstop, the fabric would just bunch when the cuts closed, but would keep them from opening wide enough to tear. you could use the c3 tape for that.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. I am going to play with this latter today and hopefully not screw it up.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    ???
    Insulation
    ???
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    you could also cover one side of the pad with ripstop, no cuts in the ripstop, the fabric would just bunch when the cuts closed, but would keep them from opening wide enough to tear. you could use the c3 tape for that.
    This is a really great idea. I had been wondering how to make the pad work, and this sounds like a solid idea. Thanks!

• + New Posts