Thread: Tying a loop

Tying a loop

I'm making a stand with the single poles angled out and secured with guy lines. I am securing the bottom of the pole with a peg but I want a line for a little insurance and to make it easier to space everything out. I'm using Amsteel for the guy lines but wanted to use cheap stuff I already have to go between the stake and the bottom of the pole. It is a pain to splice so I'm thinking of knotting loops. What knot is the best one to use on a permanent line that does not need adjusting but doesn't weaken it any more than necessary? Double figure eight? Sheet bend?

Hammock
    Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    Tad Pole
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin 40
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Note that I am NOT experienced with knots in practice, though I've learned quite a few in advance for my upcoming trip. I highly recommend waiting for the opinion of someone more knowledgable.

That being said, afaik the bowline is recommended for simple loops, it will neither slip nor bind and can be undone easily after being loaded. However, I don't know whether it's secure if tied with Amsteel, seeing how that rope is usually considered too slippery to tie secure knots. This video shows you the fastest and easiest way to tie one.
    Last edited by Tobl; 07-16-2014 at 04:09. Reason: added video

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Either bowline , as mentioned above, or perfection loop, which I've gotten to hold on lines that a bowline wouldn't.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Thank you.

I don't really want to untie the knot so I don't care about it and this line seems to hold knots better than amsteel.

I can do a bowline, I haven't done a perfection before, I'll look it up.

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

sheet bends, bowlines, brummel loops all good, all easy, cub scout fun

I agree with you and Tobi there are several "Sheet Bends" and "Bowlines" that should work fairly well the "Round-turn bowline" is basically a double sheet bend. You might want to try a "Triple Bowline" first demonstrated by Canadian Cimber Robert Chismall former president of International Guild of Knot Tyers.

But Also try the "Slipped Bunt Line" as demonstrated here by Brandon of Warbonnet Outdoors (after min 1):

This is not a permanent loop but you can quickly remove it and re-tie if you need to move the stake out further.

Also a locked Brummel loop is a very easy to splice once you try it. Cub Scouts all over the world learn it.

http://www.animatedknots.com/brummel/

Edit: Figure-of-Eight Loop will hold the best of any knot but may be most difficult to undo if you change you mind on the location, can also do double, fig-8 etc.
    Last edited by ntxkayakr; 07-16-2014 at 09:29. Reason: Edit: figure8

thank you this is just cheap cored line from home depot and is a pain in the neck to do anything with. The core is the same mottled colour as the sleeve and splits like crazy and grabs at stuff. I'm just not happy with the eyes I've spliced in it and they were not fun to do (unlike the much nicer cored ropes I made dog leashes out of). I just did six guylines with locked brummels on both ends in the amsteel and have another six to make today.

What about a double overhand?

• + New Posts