Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies

DIY hammock material question

Hi there,

My buddy and I recently decided we were going to DIY our own hammocks. We were looking at the various retailers and settled on nylon taffeta for our hammocks. My questions for you more experienced DIYers are:

1) What is the feel of nylon taffeta? We both have ENOs and love the feel of them, is it similar to the parachute nylon hammocks?

2) we're not the best sewers, so we've been shopping for blanks with pre-hemmed edges. We've found a few but I was wondering, does that just mean the sides are hemmed, or are the parts where we'd gather the ends also hemmed? Does that mean there is a pre-existing channel we could whip similar to an ENO?

Thanks in advance for the info
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    All hammock blanks are hemmed along all 4 edges. I believe that all hammock blanks available from hammock manufacturers are just tablecloths which you can pick up directly from Tableclothsfactory if you like.

I have never felt an ENO but I believe they are made out of a similar if not the exact same taffeta material as the tablecloths.

If you are not confident in your sewing skills you can just whip the ends. The Ultimate Hang has a few ideas on how to do that - http://theultimatehang.com/2013/10/m...ock-3-minutes/

Hammock
    DIY tablecloth
    Suspension
    Amsteel loops
    I agree with 'Tendertoe'; go with the table cloth in the crinkle taffeta. I've made 2 so far (my very first hammocks), and the are great. Mine is 132"x90", but really too big. My wife's is 126"x60" (& I have one that size on order). With the table cloths you cannot do the gather like an ENO (unless you want to sew a channel). The hem is about 1/4", and I ran a double masons line thru mine, made the gather& then Lark's Head the sling just below the gather. Works like a charm. Good Luck..... Grizhicks

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Kelty noah 12
    Insulation
    diy underquilts
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    If you have a sewing machine it is easy to get the hang of it. I fold the edge once 1/4 to 1/2 an inch then sew a simple straight stitch the length of the material tacking the beginning and end. Then fold it once more the same width and run another stitch down it. This way you don't have to pin or iron the side it's alot easier. Do this to all 4 sides then on the ends fold it however wide you want your channels send a couple stitches down it and you're done. I used 1.9oz ripstop nylon for my first hammock and like the feel of it. It was so easy to do I ordered 1.1oz ripstop for a lightweight hammock. I made 2 under quilts one with down the other out of insultex. YOUTUBE has some great videos on DIY hammocks and gear. Do it yourself you won't regret it. Plus you'll learn a valuable skill.

Hammock
    Hexon halfwit
    Tarp
    Zpacks standard
    Insulation
    DIY apex quilts
    Suspension
    Whoooopeeeee
    With polyester/nylon is sewing a hem necessary? Could you heat a knife and cut the edges and have them not fray like burning the edge of twine?

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Tips for gnomad and others

gnomad I am not an expert at this but have some experience. A sewn hem is very difficult to improve upon or replace because if your hammock blows in strong winds while you are not in it there can be a lot of flapping similar to a flag on a pole, i.e. high velocity at the edges.

For the hems of pants this product from Stitch Witchery works fairly well (other brands as well) it can be found at Wal-Mart fabric section and Hobby Lobby, most any fabric and similar craft store. I do NOT recommend it BUT after "burning" the edges of the poly/nylon with a candle or hot knife you could fold it over and follow the directions and iron on some of this. Tip: cut this bonding tape into 1-3" sections don't lay several feet of it down. BUT be warned a strong wind will probably just rip it out.

http://www.joann.com/dritz-stitch-wi...s/1922830.html

Check around for a local shop that sells sewing machines, or perhaps the joann or hobby lobby they may offer sewing classes. Often the local Parks and Recs do as well. Some of these classes are mostly hang outs and social clubs, but that is not necessarily a bad thing. You might find a great deal on a used machine there, eventually upgrade to a better one. It can be addictive, you have been warned.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    The fabric off a tablecloth or crinkle taffeta blank is not the same as an ENO. It does not stretch as much and has a rougher feel to it. After a few washes, it does get softer, but still not the same.

Hammock blanks?
    To which 'blanks' do you refer?

Tablecloths, often referred to as hammock blanks in this part of the Internet, are hemmed on all four sides, no need to sew anything.

You whipping choices for a no sew tablecloth hammock are one of two options, a ball whip or folded with double sheet bend. Both are easy enough and provide a comfortable lay.

If you WANTED to sew the tablecloth and put in sewn end channels, you can. 3 rows of stitching is the norm with no more than 8 stitches per inch. (More than that and you risk perforating the material)

If you mean by hammock blank, a rectangular piece of fabric off the bolt from some source, not sewn in any way, then you will be putting a hem on all four sides. Do not waste your time with short cuts, tape, burning the edges, edge sealer or any other work around. In the end, you won't be happy with the results. And if you are going to sew end channels anyway, then hem the length of both sides of the hammock as well.

There are plenty of DIY guides here in the DIY forum, not to mention great videos on youtube. Many of these guides are in the "sticky" section of the DIY forum.

Good luck and don't hesitate to post up any more questions, many of us have been exactly where you are now.

Almost forgot, just because the tablecloth fabric isn't identical to ENO, doesn't mean it's not comfy. I've made about 30 tablecloth hammocks, bot single and double layer, slept in one for months and it's still one of my favs. Don't hesitate to get a tablecloth, it's an easy way to get start and makes a solid, serviceable, comfortable hammock. If you go this route, check out the Knotty mod, helps keep the sleeping bag or topquilt in the hammock while you are snoozing.

I like the 132x90, 120x60 seems a little small but works for many, the 152x90 is HUGE!

Remember, the finished length of your hammock will be approximately 4-6" shorter than the fabric blank determined by your gathered end finishing method. Sewn end channels use a little less than sheet bends and ball whips use the least of all.
    Last edited by Ratdog; 07-23-2014 at 08:52.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    You said you don't like to sew, either do I. There is fabric glue out there (some dries semi-rigid, other stretches), but I honestly don't know how it would work with something that is under tension (as one of the good parts about sewing is there's a little bit of give to the seam). Just food for thought.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dochartaigh View Post
    You said you don't like to sew, either do I. There is fabric glue out there (some dries semi-rigid, other stretches), but I honestly don't know how it would work with something that is under tension (as one of the good parts about sewing is there's a little bit of give to the seam). Just food for thought.
    Fabric glue sounds like a suicide mission for a hammock, but boy it would make a great YouTube video when it fails!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Fabric glue sounds like a suicide mission for a hammock, but boy it would make a great YouTube video when it fails!
    I do not recommend fabric glue for anything under load. Stitching up a hammock is no great shakes. You need a machine that will do a straight stitch and the patience to learn to use it. There is a learning curve but it's easier than learning to drive a car. If you can do that you can learn to stitch.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast