Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    ENO Singlenest
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps

Noob here. Ridgeline question.

Based off of what I've seen here on the forum and the youtube video's that I've watched it seems that most people have a ridgeline set up that they reuse every time. Is that observation generally correct? If so, what length of cord do you use for your ridge line? I know that every hang is different as most trees are of different size and length apart. Reason I'm asking is that I'm looking at the continuous ridgeline sold by Dutch Ware. I like the idea of not having to fiddle with any of the knots and what not, but is the 30ft length long enough for most situations?
    TIA
    -Matt

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ Ambush
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I used to have a 24' Amsteel ridgeline, but too often it was just a little short. I have since replaced it with a 30' lash it, and seems to work out much better, especially for those large diameter trees, I also bring an extra 6' tree strap, for the same reason. Now I am able to hang from the largest trees, at least here in the Northeast.

The part of the ridgeline that goes between the ends of the hammock should be around 80% of the length of the hammock, though mine is a bit longer than that. You have to experiment to find the length that makes you most comfortable.

Once you find the right length for you, you'll probably want to "lock it in" somehow so you can have a consistent setup.

I considered using a single line that would go from one end about 10 ft, have a knot holding one end of the hammock, come across the top forming the ridgeline, have another knot holding the other end of the hammock, then go out another 10 ft.

I decided against it for a couple reasons: The ridgeline doesn't have to be as strong as the suspension line, so I used more cheap line and less expensive line. I also wanted to be able to fiddle with it, and changing the length or replacing the ridgeline is much easier when it's a separate line.

Hammock
    DIY: Arial bridge, WBBB XLC clone
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Winter
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch stuff
    Tarp ridgeline. 30' should be good in most instances for a CRL. You could put locked brummels or bowlines at both ends, which would make it easy to 'extend' if need be. I have a zing-it clothesline I carry with me that has helped me in this regard a couple times.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY hex or winter
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks (IGD)
    Images
    This is a confusing area, mostly due to there being 2 ridgelines in many peoples hammock setups. One on the hammock, often referred to as a Structural Ridgeline and one on the tarp. You can have a continuous ridgeline on the tarp. This is one that goes around each tree and either over or under the length of the tarp. For a tarp continuous ridgeline I like 30-35 feet. This allows me to hang my 12' tarp between 2 2' diameter trees 18' apart (3+6+12+6+3=30) Those numbers are 1/2 of the circumference of a 2' diameter tree, 2 x 3' (going from tarp to tree and back from tree to tar), length of tarp, 2 x 3', and 1/2 circumference of a 2' diameter tree. Note if you have a 11' tarp then you will need a slightly longer line (3+7+11+7+3=31)

If you were talking about a hammock ridgeline then 80% of your full hammock length is most common. You can make a UCR or whoopie sling for the approximate length and switch to a fixed ridgeline when you find your sweet spot. This will give you a consistent lay in your hammock even when your suspension lines vary in distance apart, angle and height.

Hope this helps.
    "Mountains should be climbed with as little effort as possible and without desire. ... To live only for some future goal is shallow. It’s the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the top. Here's where things grow." - Robert M. Pirsig

Subscribe to my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/PaCampingDad

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Welcome aboard, from Florida.

Good question for your first post.

That 80% for a hammock RL is actually 83%. That's probably why you are finding you need a little longer. This calculation has been done mathematically by those before us and seems to be best for the largest number of hangers. Then just a little tweeking from that number.

For a tarp, 30' should be fine. Just remember the tree diameter in your area will determine if you need longer, Redwoods, or shorter, pines/birch, or whatever trees you usually find. Your tarp RL should be about equal to your hammock suspension at it's longest setting.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    GT Double
    Tarp
    DIY Painters 4mil
    Suspension
    Straps Whoopie MSH
    +1 to doogie' post above. The only suggestion I'd make would be to 'play' (adjust) your hammock ridgeline to what gives you the most comfort. After much backyard lab testing - mine turned out to be about 84% - but that's me. YMMV

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Jarbidge, EE Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    Probably overkill, but I'm a tweaker at heart, so I picked up one of these:

http://shop.whoopieslings.com/Adjust...e-Line-ASR.htm

I haven't moved it in a long time, so once I get around to it, I think I'm going to just make a dyneema dogbone and PIF this to someone...

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dfscott View Post
    Probably overkill, but I'm a tweaker at heart, so I picked up one of these:

http://shop.whoopieslings.com/Adjust...e-Line-ASR.htm

I haven't moved it in a long time, so once I get around to it, I think I'm going to just make a dyneema dogbone and PIF this to someone...
    Not overkill at all. This is one of the best methods to get it right. And good for you to PIF to some needing hanger.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    ENO Singlenest
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    A hammock ridgeline? Isn't that what the Atlas Straps are for? Or are you referring to adding a ridgeline under the tarp to attach the bug net and what not to?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast