YUKON DIAMOND
    Insulation
    SWEET BABY LOVIN
    Suspension
    MIYANC DIY CUSTOM

A few Noob Questions

I just started on getting my hammocks today, and i am already addicted..lol

So i have a couple questions.
    (I apologize in advance for not knowing the correct verbage of some things)

1st, if it is raining, even when using a tarp, wont water run down the tree then down the lines attached to the tree and into the ends of the hammock or down the bottom of the hammock making for a wet bottom side of where ever there is pressure from me laying in it?

2nd, I know this is silly, but what happens when you dont find 2 trees that are the right distance apart? Im not saying that this would happen often, but in a burned area, it is possible. I cant imagine people bringing back up ground tents. I see that someone said that everyone should learn to make a ground set up...what is that? Would using some sort of an "a-frame" system out of downed small trees work. If you do a google search for "a frame slackline set up" you will see these are very sturdy when no trees are around.

3rd, Is silnylon just water proof version of nylon? Regular ripstop cant be used for a rain tarp, correct? can regular be used and treated with something to make it wayerproof?

Thanks in advance

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    1. Use a water stop just beyond the hammock but under the tarp. This can be a cotton shoelace tied to the hammock suspension, or some like to have a metal connector there, like a carabiner, which will stop water and makes it easy to separate suspension from hammock.

2. Keep walking! I'm not going to sleep on the ground ever again!

3. Silnylon is regular ripstop you that has been impregnated with silicone to make it waterproof. It adds about 0.3 oz/sy to the weight.
    Last edited by MAD777; 07-16-2014 at 16:24.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SirLips View Post

So i have a couple questions.
    (I apologize in advance for not knowing the correct verbage of some things)

1st, if it is raining, even when using a tarp, wont water run down the tree then down the lines attached to the tree and into the ends of the hammock or down the bottom of the hammock making for a wet bottom side of where ever there is pressure from me laying in it?

2nd, I know this is silly, but what happens when you dont find 2 trees that are the right distance apart? Im not saying that this would happen often, but in a burned area, it is possible. I cant imagine people bringing back up ground tents. I see that someone said that everyone should learn to make a ground set up...what is that? Would using some sort of an "a-frame" system out of downed small trees work. If you do a google search for "a frame slackline set up" you will see these are very sturdy when no trees are around.

3rd, Is silnylon just water proof version of nylon? Regular ripstop cant be used for a rain tarp, correct? can regular be used and treated with something to make it wayerproof?

Thanks in advance
    1. Water can run down the suspension but we put things on our suspension to act as drip stops to divert the water. Metal hardware such as carabiners and descender rings work. Others tie a small lenght of cotton shoelace to do the same thing as well.

2. I'd never go anywhere that I couldn't find two trees to use. If you had enough cordage and anchors I suppose a two pole set up is possible and if you had enough branches you could probably do a turtle dog stand but that would require more work than it's worth. If you use a pad as your under insulation, then you could "go to ground" using the hammock as a sort of bivy and use a couple branches to make an A frame for your tarp.

3. It's my understanding that silnylon is made by impregnating the woven fabric with silicone so its not just a coating that is applied. There have been some people here that have made their own silnylon.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    2. Keep walking! I'm not going to sleep on the ground ever again!
    I like it.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    For some strange reason, "What if I have to go to ground?" seems to be a major fear of noobs. As MAD777 said, I'd keep walking till I found trees. I'm not such a free-roaming man that I would suddenly end up in a treeless wasteland miles from the nearest tree. And if I were going on a trip to a place with no trees, I would bring a tent instead of a hammock (though that kind of trip sounds pretty unappealing to me).

With Google and Bing satellite maps, you should always be able to ascertain beforehand if the area you're going hiking has trees.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies

Thanks in advance
    You'll get plenty of answers to your other questions, so I'll address just number 2. I had similar questions.

So I know the basic rule is "walk until you find some trees" but I'll toss in this link because that's not always feasible. I'm doing a hike next month in an area that saw an entire chunk of forest destroyed by a tornado about 10 years ago. We have no idea what that's going to mean for our planning, and as the section we are doing is roughly 85 miles end to end, I don't want any surprises, so I found this video and will plan on testing this setup next week. I will be hiking with trekking poles, but sticks can work just as well. And I also plan on carrying an inflatable Klymit Static V sleeping mat. Sure these things will add weight, but I'm ok with that.

This video shows the use of a HH, I plan on using a Warbonnet Blackbird on my trip, but there is no reason that this won't work with a complete DIY setup like the one you were looking for in your other thread.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    The biggest tornado ever, than bigger, would only put, at most, a 4 mile wide and maybe 20 mile long path of nothing(hypothetical of course). If your walking down the middle, that's only 2 miles(within view) on each side and maybe an hour walk.

Unless your car camping, a tornado cannot do enough damage to worry about not finding trees. Sorry, the tornado thought was intriguing. Had to answer.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ErickSaint View Post
    And I also plan on carrying an inflatable Klymit Static V sleeping mat. Sure these things will add weight, but I'm ok with that.
    That's what "What if I have to go to ground?" syndrome does to you. It makes you carry extra weight. You can actually measure your fear with a scale!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Meh, so be it. I'll be 5 hours from home in one direction and in the woods for between 7-9 days. I'd rather carry the extra 20 oz. than end up sleeping on rocks. My base weight for this trip, minus consumables, is still under 15 pounds.
    Last edited by ErickSaint; 07-16-2014 at 17:28.

Water can indeed run down your suspension to the hammock. It can be prevented with drip lines, basically something dangling from your suspension to let the water run off before it hits the hammock. Here's a link that may help: http://theultimatehang.com/2014/05/h...nd-drip-lines/. (Buy the book, too!)

As an aside, I'm sure there's a better way to post links, but apparently I'm too brain dead to figure it out.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast