UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images

MI>2014 MI Fall Hang & Chili Festival Oct 10-13, 2014

2014 MI FALL HANG & CHILI FESTIVAL

This is the official planning thread for the Second Annual MI Fall Hang and Chili Festival. This year we will be back at Deep Lake just south of Grand Rapids MI in the Yankee Springs Rec Area. There are lots of good trees, mountain biking, kayaking, hiking, boating, & fishing right at camp and in the area. There is a hand pump for water as well as clean vault toilets. No power or modern restrooms but there is a modern campground roughly 10 minutes away for those that prefer to stay there and stop by during the day or evening. You can also stop there for a shower if desired but stay at the Deep Lake Unit with the group.

WHEN - Columbus Day Weekend OCTOBER 10-13 2014. We moved the date back a few weeks to get better fall colors, better chili eating weather, and cooler nights for GREAT hammock sleeping.

WHERE - Deep Lake Unit, Yankee Springs Recreation Area, 2526 S. Yankee Spring Rd, Middleville, MI 49333

We have reserved the group site at Deep Lake Unit for our use. We should have plenty of room for parking and as many hammocks as we can fit. Nice big group sites with lots of open space and plenty of trees. This is a Michigan State Park and Recreation Passports are required for entry for both state residents and non-residents.

Below is a link to the Unit Map for Yankee Springs.

YANKEE SPRING UNIT MAP

WHO’S INVITED - EVERYONE!!!! I've created a Google Doc, please sign up so we can plan accordingly for group items & meals. Also find a meal planning tab for items needed for group meals and kitchen help sign up. It is a lot of work putting on an event and if everyone chips in for one kitchen shift it will make for an enjoyable weekend for everyone involved. If you sign up to help with KP Duty please be sure to man, or woman as the case may be, your shift as we will be counting on your help.

Please be sure to include guest and what days you will be attending for meal planning purposes.

REGISTER HERE (Google Doc)

COST - Last year we charged $10 a person to cover expenses, this year we will be doing a raffle to fund the event and cover cost of firewood/camping/group expenses. There will be some big ticket items in the raffle as well as room for those that would like to contribute to the raffle, please see Google Doc. Tickets will be 1 for $5 or 5 for $20 so come prepared to help fund the event and possibly win some great gear. To continue to have a successful event we need it to be self funding. Any funds in excess of the group costs of the event will be donated to the local NCT Chapter. The NCT passes through Yankee Springs Recreation Area, I believe pretty close to the Deep Lake Unit, if any would like to hike in.

MEALS:

Friday Dinner will be smoked sausages, hot dogs, and fixins for dinner. See Google Doc for additional details.

Saturday Breakfast will be provided by UGQ. We do need help with spare dutch ovens and meal prep if someone can lend a hand. See Google Doc for additional details.

Saturday lunch is BYO

Saturday Dinner - Hopefully we will have enough chili provided by those with a winning recipe to cover dinner, stews are welcome as well. Remember campground has no electric so cooking will need to be gas stoves or chuck wagon style on the fire. So if you've got a favorite Dutch Oven recipe for chili, stew, corn bread, or dessert bring it. We will certainly need the help. See Google Doc for additional details.

Sunday Breakfast will be provided by UGQ. We do need help with spare dutch ovens and meal prep if someone can lend a hand. See Google Doc for additional details.

Sunday lunch is BYO

Sunday Dinner is casual; UGQ will provide Hot Dogs and Hamburger for self cooking on the fire/grill. See Google Doc for additional details.

Monday breakfast is BYO

Please bring your own plates and eating tools. Also bring your own beverages, Deep Lake is alcohol free so please be respectful.

HAMMOCK TOUR:

On the Google Doc is a tab for the hammock tour, if you would like to show off you kit, you latest crazy DIY gear, your dog, or just about anything else just add yourself to the list. Tour will be Saturday morning around 10:30am.

Firewood will be provided for the group.

Anyone who would like to organize a bike ride, hike, paddling trip speak up so people know it's being planned for.

So this one your schedule, pack you bags, grab your hammock, and get ready for a good time in the woods....

If you have any questions post them here or shoot me a PM....

Here's the motley crew shot from last year, be sure to join us if you can, we all had a GREAT time....

Last edited by sr1355; 07-18-2014 at 14:32.
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an
    Hey Paul thanks for getting this started! Was just thinking of this with this nice weather! Don't know about the dates yet but will try to be there!
    It's not the boulders that throw us off balance, it's the pebbles beneath our feet

Hammock
    DIY,Speer,Tbird, JRB
    Tarp
    HG CF, MacCat, GG
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Speer,UGQ
    Suspension
    numerous, seasonal
    Images
    It was a great time last year

I have it on the calendar for this year
    Life's A Journey
    It's not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body,
    But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
    Woo Hoo!....What a Ride!

My PHOTOS

My VIDEOS

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Michigan State - away vs Purdue
    Michigan - home vs Penn State
    Ohio State - open
    That's as close to the stars aligning as we can hope for I suppose.

We just put in for vacation starting on the 13th. We may change our plans and try to make this

update: we did change our vacations dates. As of today it looks like we will be driving up on Oct 9th (8.5 hour drive plus the time change) and leave on the 13th.
    Last edited by Ewker; 07-18-2014 at 08:33.
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Oh man, looking forward to this. I hope school isn't crushing me that weekend, but I'll be there regardless!! I'm bringing some mighty fine chili as well, if I do say so myself!
    My head is an animal

Hammock
    3xWBBB1.0dbl, XLC, DIY
    Tarp
    superfly, maccat d
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies, E.trunks
    I hope that guy in the kilt shows back up with those sweet rolls. I wanted to say sweet buns but after reading that and referencing a kilt it could be taken the wrong way
    http://smartoutdoors.webs.com/ elephant trunks, tarp keys and crosses

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ET's
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    We just put in for vacation starting on the 13th. We may change our plans and try to make this

update: we did change our vacations dates. As of today it looks like we will be driving up on Oct 9th (8.5 hour drive plus the time change) and leave on the 13th.
    I see you signed up to be here..i'm guessing you changed your vacation dates...so awesome to have you all the way here from TN!! Looking forward to meeting you

This is a great hang...you won't be disappointed!!
    Missy Lou - Senior Tarp Queen @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Aw man,, you guys are going to miss the MAHHA, it's the same dates

Quote Originally Posted by Missy Lou View Post
    I see you signed up to be here..i'm guessing you changed your vacation dates...so awesome to have you all the way here from TN!! Looking forward to meeting you

This is a great hang...you won't be disappointed!!
    we are looking forward to it. We may be bringing or bikes and kayaks also. Hamhocker is a good cook so she will be all in for making chili....do you like it hot???
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast