Hammock
    Currently B Grylls Hammock with Net

Need Ideas for a Ridgeline

I picked up a couple hammocks that have mosquito netting sewn onto the hammock. They have four tie-off points that run in two rows of two, off center. While testing I attempted to run two ridgelines to support the net on one hammock, but there was still a good bit of sag. Also one tie off pulled completely off ripping a perfect square in the net so I'm reluctant to use them. I would prefer an internal ridgeline to be able to hang stuff on. I'm trying to think of a way to run a ridgeline without sewing attachment points/tails onto the nylon. The best I have come up with is to run an external connection from the cinch and run it through the net and sew it back again.

Has anyone else done something similar?

IMG_20140622_180701_246.jpg
    IMG_20140622_180754_291.jpg

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Any chance of returning it due to the rip and getting something else?
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    I doubt it. The hammocks were originally listed at $79 I believe. I got them online for $35 each. I think it's still a bargain considering it came with tree huggers, d-rings and plenty of rope. I just have to be more careful with the netting. I may even remove it at some point to replace it. For a first time hammock, I'm pleased with it. I am learning what I want for when I decide to diy one.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    The reason you have so much material is because the netting is the same siz as the hammock. The tree to trail switchback is like this. They use cord tied to shock cord which is then attached to the trees. Inside the bugnet there is another cord that connects the two outer attachment from the inside. You can see them here. You can see some models have loops for a small pole or trail sticks to spread out the netting. Using shock cord is good to avoid tearing the netting. I know this does not solve your wanting a structural ridgeline but it might be something to look into doing.

You could cut a small hole in the bugnet at both ends where it is sewn to the hammock body. You then connect the ridgeline to the rope coming out of the end channel, feed it throught the hole and inside the bugnet out the hole at the other end and then connect it to the rope on that side. This would support the bugnet but you'll still have a lot of material you'll need to pull out.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear/KAQ
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bug
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    The reason you have so much material is because the netting is the same siz as the hammock. The tree to trail switchback is like this. They use cord tied to shock cord which is then attached to the trees. Inside the bugnet there is another cord that connects the two outer attachment from the inside. You can see them here. You can see some models have loops for a small pole or trail sticks to spread out the netting. Using shock cord is good to avoid tearing the netting. I know this does not solve your wanting a structural ridgeline but it might be something to look into doing.

You could cut a small hole in the bugnet at both ends where it is sewn to the hammock body. You then connect the ridgeline to the rope coming out of the end channel, feed it throught the hole and inside the bugnet out the hole at the other end and then connect it to the rope on that side. This would support the bugnet but you'll still have a lot of material you'll need to pull out.
    The cutting a whole is a good idea, but to take it one step further you could install a rivet on the netting where you cut the hole to reenforce the netting. This is how the wind sock installs on the Warbonnet ridge runner. I could take a picture of mine if it would help.

I'm in the same pickle with my Clayton jungle hammock.

I'm doing something similar to my woot special with bugnet right now. Bubba is correct, it is the same size as the hammock, the reason being that you can flip it over if you want to lay without the net.

What I've done is used a soldering iron to melt a couple of holes through the mesh on the ends and installed a 1/4" grommet that I backed with a little grosgrain. I've yet to hang with it though, I'll see if I can today. And take pics

Hammock
    Bubba, I wish I had thought of shock cord before. It would have saved my net.

I think running the line through the net reinforced with a grommet should work well.

Many thanks.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear/KAQ
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bug
    Meant to say grommet. Not rivet

Hammock
    HH Expedition