Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Emory View Post
    The catalog said it had a 400 lb. average strength... I figured that'd be enough... I guess I'll try it out in the yard a few nights before the field.
    Yeah, the 400lbs is a static load. For dynamic loading i.e. a person in a hammock, you typically want around 5 times or more the max load (your weight). We're not saying they won't work... at first and if you're careful, however they won't last long, the line will deteriorate quickly.

Paracord is generally not recommended for suspension either. However it would last longer as suspension due to the slightly higher breaking strength and the stretch (nylon) absorbing some of the load.

Saying that, you've made them now, you may as well try them. Hang low, check for wear often and try and catch it on camera if and when they fail Good luck.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Zing It and Lash It make great tarp guy outs. Add a little shockcord if you are using a silnylon tarp.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    an old cabela's brand hammock
    Tarp
    hennessy
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    P-cord and knots
    Good to know. I was planning on talking them on a three nighter I have coming up here in a few weeks. Don't really want to fall on my bum. I think I'll just use them for my tarp and order me some Amsteel to replace them with. I'm glad I got the info before I went out!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by shef View Post
    I've used zing-it for a UCR ridge line before, and I won't do it again. The adjustable bury eventually locked up due to the excess wight. My guess is, if it doesn't fail and drop you, they will wind up being a 'one time' suspension, and be unable to be adjusted again after a night of hanging in them.
    I have Lash-it whoopies one of my tarps and it was a bad idea for this same reason. The adjustable bury part has sort of started to lock up and has become a pain to adjust at times.
    The camper formerly known as HikingDad...

Hammock
    an old cabela's brand hammock
    Tarp
    hennessy
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    P-cord and knots
    So I finally got my Amsteel in from diygearsupply.com! I ordered the7/6th stuff but I think they have me the 1/8th inch instead. But i was still able to make proper whoopies with it I used that zing it to make a system for hanging my tarp and I'm pretty happy with it

Hammock
    Integrity, DIY
    Tarp
    Poncho/DIY-winter
    Insulation
    Pad/Over Bag/PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Tree Strap
    Glad you're using your head. The zing it sounds perfect for tarp use, but not hangin'. Heck, I'm at 250 and I'm probably pushing my amsteel 7/64 whoopies due to the dynamic load. I just gotta quit hammock dancing!

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    You'll be very happy with the 7/32" material. Sleep soundly!
    Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    DIY 12' PolyD
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10 silArgon
    Insulation
    HG 0º UQ / 20º TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    Just as a reference data point - I'm about 180# and before buying amsteel whoopee slings, I used a 550 cord suspension exclusively for about a year. I did use a double strand configuration with over hand knots every 6 inches, and yes there was some stretch, but during each hang, I'd load my hammock, get the stretch out of the way, adjust it to the next 6" point up the line and call it good. Those paracord suspensions are still operational. Zero failures.

But, I can say this, I wouldn't trust it to suspend me over any height greater than 3 feet from the ground. Over a canyon or gorge would be out of the question. But if you are budget minded, or just don't want to invest in whoopies just yet, they are a feasible, common man alternative.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SirMarkos View Post
    But if you are budget minded, or just don't want to invest in whoopies just yet, they are a feasible, common man alternative.
    Well, feasible is not the adjective that comes to mind when I think of a paracord suspension. I think inadvisable, unreliable, dangerous, foolhardy is a bit more appropriate. And all those overhand knots derate the 550 paracord into 150 paracord. We do get quite a few people who join the forum saying they've hung with paracord and Figure 9s for eons, questioning why it's not more popular and vociferously defending its safety. Take Hamster here, who hasn't been back to the forums since folks questioned the advisability of a paracord suspension.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...light=paracord

When I hear stories of people using paracard suspensions, I consider them to be Tales of the Extremely Lucky. Personally, I'l skip "common man alternatives" and stick with "common sense alternatives" and best practice.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Sheltowee Boone 20*
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    I have zing-it whoopies on one of my hammocks, I've spend a hand-full of nights in it. No issues.
    I'd rather be hanging.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast