WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

argon sil sewing question

Hey guys, I just started sewing my argon sil tarp and have a few questions. when sewing sil I usually use singer universal regular point needles (with the blue band) I sewed a sample of argon sil using this needle and it seemed to work fine. Is that alright, or do you have other suggestions? Also, what stitch spacing do you recommend? (is there a danger of having the stitching too close?) I am using the hybred seam shown on DIY gear supplys sewing guide. (french seam hybred?)
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    DIY
    Images
    I use Schmetz Microtex Sharp 70/10 Universals will work fine-just don't use ballpoints. Use 7-10 stitches per inch. They say too many stitches per inch could lead to perforation of the material, although I've not seen this happen. Too many stitches per inch are also harder to remove if you need to revise.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Thanks! Just what I needed!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY hex or winter
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks (IGD)
    Images
    I used a universal needle and medium stitch length with no issues. The one issue I did have was fabric stretch. I normally don't pin my seams, but when I got the the other end of my ridgeline, I was off by a good 4 inches due to stretch. Ripped it out and pinned it and all was good.
    "Mountains should be climbed with as little effort as possible and without desire. ... To live only for some future goal is shallow. It’s the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the top. Here's where things grow." - Robert M. Pirsig

Subscribe to my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/PaCampingDad

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    I started using Microtex Sharp needles as well. I'm using Organ needles rather than the Schmetz, seem to be as good but a lot cheaper. I think I was using about 10 or 12 stitches/inch on my last tarp. Don't forget that your needle needs to be changed every 6-8 hours of sewing. That will probably make more difference than anything else.

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouseskowitz View Post
    Don't forget that your needle needs to be changed every 6-8 hours of sewing.
    Is that actual stitching time?
    At half-speed (~500 stitches/minute) that's about 1500 feet of seam....which is probably months of 'once in a while' sewing for me.

I guess I don't do much sewing compared to a lot of folks, but I only change needles when I 'hit something' or when the stitches stop forming properly. Usually it's a bent needle or a burr, not just dulling. That said, if I see the fabric being 'punched down' through the hole in the plate, I change needles- and with very light coated fabric that might happen more often.

Where does the 6-8 hour number come from?

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    I found this file (intended for industrial users, I think) which might be useful.
    www.schmetzneedles.com/learning/pdf/needle-life.pdf

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    Quote Originally Posted by VictoriaGuy View Post
    It was something that I ran into while trying to figure out what type of needle I wanted to use. When I went back to try and find a specific reference I found times ranging from 4 to 20 hours of sewing time. Right around 8 seems to be the most common. Knowing the symptoms of a bad needle is a good thing, and other than that changing the needle before a big project is a good idea. In my mind the point is more that needles need to be changed and that it is somewhat often. This is all coming more from reading than personal experience. So, take it for what it's worth. I can tell you that my wife didn't know for a long time that you had to change needles and she had all kinds of problems because of it.

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouseskowitz View Post
    In my mind the point is more that needles need to be changed and that it is somewhat often. This is all coming more from reading than personal experience. So, take it for what it's worth. I can tell you that my wife didn't know for a long time that you had to change needles and she had all kinds of problems because of it.
    Well, when I do have a stitch formation problem, my standard response (after re-threading and checking the bobbin) is to swap in a new needle, so we agree on that.
    BTW, there may be 'bad karma' out there for folks who put bent and burred needles back in the sewing box where the enthusiastic novice buyer will discover them years later! Throw them out! (I usually stick em in a bit of tape to keep from stabbing myself when I put out the trash...).

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by VictoriaGuy View Post
    I found a quote online which was roughly: "I'm a certified sewing machine repairman and shop owner and I recommend a new needle after every three bobbins." Nobody asked that fellow if he sold needles in his shop.....and the markup on needles in some places (e.g. Fabricland in Canada) is huge compared to the prices online...so the profit motive may be part of the story.

• + New Posts